Premed 101 Forums

AMCAS 2012 Cycle Party Thread

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ahh too bad, it would have been great to have a fellow Canuck. Good luck eh?

haha, I know, it would have been awesome, dude. Good luck to you too! I'll tell you more about my interview experience so you can be ready for your interview. This is the only interview I've gotten at this point, and I really like GWU, so I want to own this interview.

haha, I know, it would have been awesome, dude. Good luck to you too! I'll tell you more about my interview experience so you can be ready for your interview. This is the only interview I've gotten at this point, and I really like GWU, so I want to own this interview.

That would be awesome! Thanks so much, I would really appreciate any help. This is my only interview so far too - but I was really impressed with the school when I was researching it. Im starting to like these "why us" secondary essays because I take the time to find out how awesome these schools really are!

Stats: 33Q (rewriting though, hopefully higher soon) and 3.89 amcas (gotta love the amcas weighting!)

I don't want to declare my exact stats because some people on this forum know who I am lol. I have an >33/3.7. I'm a graduate of an Ivy school (2nd time applicant) and I have pretty good EC's.

North: No problem, dude! I would be very happy to go to school with a fellow Canuck. I think only a handful of Canadians decided to enroll at GWU last year (probably due to the very high cost of attending).

Treejuice: Congrats! I was reading sdn and apparently people that were small pooled early on (passed the primary screening) had a very high chance of gaining an interview (~50%). They haven't given out any interviews yet, so I guess you might have to wait a while.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I think in January, some schools start interviewing for wait lists. How have you liked your interview(s) so far?

I've had 1 so far at SLU and it was a lot of fun! The interview was low-stress, the other interviewees were really nice and a lot of their facilities are brand new. I'm supposed to hear back from them in about 2 weeks, so fingers crossed! What about you?

I got an email from Wayne today saying that I missed their 4 week deadline. Apparently I read their email to complete the secondary and just forgot about it, oops

Don't worry about Wayne - I forgot to do mine in the 4 weeks too :o .

I have had 1 interview so far as well at Indiana U. They use non-rolling admissions so I may not hear back for a while. The interview went so so...I definitely should have practiced with someone before going for it. I would say it was at least 3 times better than what I had at Queen's and 5-10 times better than Western. However, some of the answers I prepared to give, which sounded very nice in my head, were heavily modified when I spoke and sounded incoherent instead. I was thoroughly commended on my application at the end though, so maybe they thought I was good or maybe it was just false hope. I have the University of Kentucky and Penn State interviews coming up - I will make up for my flaws :)

I've had 1 so far at SLU and it was a lot of fun! The interview was low-stress, the other interviewees were really nice and a lot of their facilities are brand new. I'm supposed to hear back from them in about 2 weeks, so fingers crossed! What about you?

I got an email from Wayne today saying that I missed their 4 week deadline. Apparently I read their email to complete the secondary and just forgot about it, oops

I just submitted my AMCAS app today....

Does anybody know of anyone who submitted their AMCAS in Sept/Oct and still got interview as Canadians?

I really wonder if I should even bother with the secondary apps now that I am reading all these posts saying submitting in Sept/Oct is guaranteed rejections for Canadians.

My stats:

GPA ~3.85

MCAT 36Q (BS 14 VR 10 PS 12)

Anyone has any thoughts?

I just submitted my AMCAS app today....

Does anybody know of anyone who submitted their AMCAS in Sept/Oct and still got interview as Canadians?

I really wonder if I should even bother with the secondary apps now that I am reading all these posts saying submitting in Sept/Oct is guaranteed rejections for Canadians.

My stats:

GPA ~3.85

MCAT 36Q (BS 14 VR 10 PS 12)

Anyone has any thoughts?

Well I was complete last year in mid-September and managed one interview in February. With your solid stats, particularly your MCAT, I think you'll be in decent shape for some interview chances in early 2012 :)

Well I was complete last year in mid-September and managed one interview in February. With your solid stats, particularly your MCAT, I think you'll be in decent shape for some interview chances in early 2012 :)

Oh that's good to hear. Thanks for your input!

I guess it doesn't hurt to try..my only worry is that I don't want to waste my referee's time for writing me letters if I don't really stand a chance >.<

You could always use the same referees as the ones you used for Canadian apps. Your stats are very good. If I were you, I would consider applying to a lot of non-rolling admission schools. Since you just submitted, you are likely not going to be verified until at least mid-October. Secondaries will not be complete until at least early November, and that is pretty late for rolling schools as you will be at the back of the review pile.

I think that you have a great chance at Canadian schools and will very likely be accepted somewhere in Canada, without the worry of being behind other applicants. Best of luck!

Oh that's good to hear. Thanks for your input!

I guess it doesn't hurt to try..my only worry is that I don't want to waste my referee's time for writing me letters if I don't really stand a chance >.<

• 2 weeks later...

Archived