Premed 101 Forums

AMCAS 2012 Cycle Party Thread

Don't worry, the schools know that Canadian schools are different. You can e-mail them to confirm, but I didn't have a problem at any of the schools with regards to pre-reqs... even if it says "6 credit hours" on our full year courses.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From AECOM

Post-bac applicants whose advisors do not provide a statement in the letter of recommendation about undergraduate good standing, must request a letter from the Dean of Students or Registrar at their undergraduate college affirming good standing status.

Does the registrar provide a letter like this? Does our transcript say we are in good standing? Specifically I am at UWO

I did a FedEx priority delivery via the transcript office and it made there in one night.

How long has it taken for everyone's transcript to make it to AMCAS?

Mine was mailed out on May 18, and I'm just hoping it makes it there by June 1 and hasn't been lost or whatever.

I had the same issue, but called AMCAS and they gave me an address:

AMCAS, attn: Transcripts

AAMC Medical School Application Services

2450 N Street, NW

Washington, DC 20037

It was sent at 10 am one day and then received before 10 am on the next.

btw it is "N" street, which probably means North...but leave it as N

Because it's a PO box, UWO wouldn't courier it.

I had the same issue, but called AMCAS and they gave me an address:

AMCAS, attn: Transcripts

AAMC Medical School Application Services

2450 N Street, NW

Washington, DC 20037

It was sent at 10 am one day and then received before 10 am on the next.

btw it is "N" street, which probably means North...but leave it as N

very good to know for anyone who hasn't sent their transcripts yet....I did mine via snail mail ugh :-(

As well, if anyone is missing a pre-req how are they listing that as future work? Are you putting a university down separately and showing that you will be taking the courses in the future i.e. Putting down UWO and saying you will take the course next summer before matriculation?

I emailed them about this as I am doing a couple courses after graduating this summer. They said to put it as Future/Current work and you can ask for a transcript exemption (not sure how exactly). I listed the courses that I want to take even though I'm not even registered for them yet.

I listed them with the same university.

First time applying to the US so I was just wondering what do secondaries entail. I imagine that they do vary school to school, but in general are they just like more information about the applicant and why they want to go to their med school. Are there essays that we have to write?

Check the following for last year's prompts (there is one set up for this year as well but prompts need to be filled in):

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=728204

Secondaries may take anywhere from 15 minutes to a few days and may entail multiple essays or personal questions.

Btw, unless an optional essay says something along the lines of do you wish to add anything you have not told us before, I would probably do it.

First time applying to the US so I was just wondering what do secondaries entail. I imagine that they do vary school to school, but in general are they just like more information about the applicant and why they want to go to their med school. Are there essays that we have to write?

Oh boy..seeing the energy on this forum got me pretty excited haha

I have a quick question... Sorry if this has been asked before:

I'm taking my MCATs Aug 5th (ouch, late I know..) so I won't be completed until September 5th... which is really late.

In this case, should I still try to submit my primary as early as possible?

If you submit the primary, you will have all your secondaries set to go by your MCAT date which would be great. There are a few schools...mostly Ivy Leagues which do not have rolling admission. It is risky to be late though as re-applicants are looked down upon and late applicants are looked down upon too. There are MCAT spots opening up for June and July - give it a shot if you are ready.

Oh boy..seeing the energy on this forum got me pretty excited haha

I have a quick question... Sorry if this has been asked before:

I'm taking my MCATs Aug 5th (ouch, late I know..) so I won't be completed until September 5th... which is really late.

In this case, should I still try to submit my primary as early as possible?

If you submit the primary, you will have all your secondaries set to go by your MCAT date which would be great. There are a few schools...mostly Ivy Leagues which do not have rolling admission. It is risky to be late though as re-applicants are looked down upon and late applicants are looked down upon too. There are MCAT spots opening up for June and July - give it a shot if you are ready.

Thanks! I will have to really edit that PS then....:o

It would not be particularly advantageous to submit today. I will submit on the 6th so that I get verified before the 17th. I think if it goes past the 6th, it will be hard to get verified by the 17th.

Sooo, is anyone ready to submit today? :P

It would not be particularly advantageous to submit today. I will submit on the 6th so that I get verified before the 17th. I think if it goes past the 6th, it will be hard to get verified by the 17th.

Same...I could use another weekend to work on it.

There's a thread on SDN where people post when they submitted and when they got verified but I can't seem to find it. So you think we're good until the 6th? Because I could definitely use a couple days for further editing :)

I'm also worried about my transcript not being marked as received yet, since it should have gotten there before the 25th. Bahh, shouldn't have used regular post...

I was referring to what I recall from the SDN post. 6th would probably be OK. My transcript was received on the morning of the 26th. The AMCAS website says they are processing transcripts from the 25th so you should hear soon and hopefully mine is done before the 6th. What schools are you applying to treejuice?

There's a thread on SDN where people post when they submitted and when they got verified but I can't seem to find it. So you think we're good until the 6th? Because I could definitely use a couple days for further editing :)

I'm also worried about my transcript not being marked as received yet, since it should have gotten there before the 25th. Bahh, shouldn't have used regular post...

I was referring to what I recall from the SDN post. 6th would probably be OK. My transcript was received on the morning of the 26th. The AMCAS website says they are processing transcripts from the 25th so you should hear soon and hopefully mine is done before the 6th. What schools are you applying to treejuice?

A variety of schools, mostly in the north-east. I'm applying to NYU, BU, Albert Einstein, Mount Sinai, Rosalind Franklin, Jefferson, Mayo, UConn, Case Western and some more, including reach schools that I'm embarrassed to type out :P And I'm planning on trying again in Canada too :rolleyes:

I just creeped your posts Comeon and we have very similar stats (3.92, 33Q)! Where are you applying?

I asked because I creeped your posts and saw we had similar stats :P . I am a US citizen so I have some non-Canadian friendly schools on my app. I will also be applying to NYU, BU, Jefferson + GWU, SLU, EVMS, Vandy, Georgetown, Albany, Wayne, Iowa, Wisconsin (a few others I have forgotten). I thought of Vandy and NYU as my reach schools and never really looked at anything past a median 34-35 MCAT. I was tempted to add a few more schools after getting the thumbs up from my LOR referees but I have not figured them out yet. The total count is currently at 18, I suppose that should be good. I will be trying again in Canada at 4 of the 6 ON schools, but they let me down this year and maybe, if I get accepted at BU or NYU, I will let them down in the upcoming cycle as an act of vengeance :rolleyes: .

A variety of schools, mostly in the north-east. I'm applying to NYU, BU, Albert Einstein, Mount Sinai, Rosalind Franklin, Jefferson, Mayo, UConn, Case Western and some more, including reach schools that I'm embarrassed to type out :P And I'm planning on trying again in Canada too :rolleyes:

I just creeped your posts Comeon and we have very similar stats (3.92, 33Q)! Where are you applying?

Archived