Premed 101 Forums

Do you tip?

darknebula

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am against tipping.

You want a tip? Get an education, and get a better job. Stop expecting other people to pay your rent.

Wow. Seriously? You're against paying people for the work they do, on the grounds that they are not members of the educated elite? I'm impressed.

"Stop expecting other people to pay your rent" cracks me up. Exchanging money for goods and services is a time honoured tradition that most people understand. The principle is simple. If you don't wish to pay for a non-essential service, do not pursue said service. So, I trust that since you do not feel restaurant service is worthy of your dimes, you do not frequent restaurants, yes?

I am against tipping.

You want a tip? Get an education, and get a better job. Stop expecting other people to pay your rent.

Wouldn't you say as a Dr you are expecting other people to pay your rent?

We ALL have expectations of someone paying for our rent. It's called a job. Get used to it.

I actually ENJOY tipping when I see that the waiter/waitress were caring and pleasant above average. I see tipping as a form of encouragement of great service.

There were many occasions when me and my husband did not leave a penny for a tip - and in all cases the service was not just okay or average, but atrocious. Hopefully that taught them a lesson :rolleyes: . We never went back to find out haha:p

I am against tipping.

Empathetic answer my friend ;) I see you really connecting with your patients....

And another thing, a few of my undergarad friends were so cheap they would never tip at a restaurant or a bar. I always did, even if I was tight on money. I also always felt embarrassed for them. But of course they have their own ideas on why they shouldn't be tipping.

Sorry my friend, but that's bull. The only person you punish by doing witholding tips is the server. You aren't changing anything: the kitchen still gets their cut, but it comes out of the server's wages instead. The restaurant still gets their money for the food, so they don't care either. It's like protesting the cost of coca cola by stealing it from store shelves: you hurt the store, then, but coca cola has already been paid and couldn't care less.

I retract the last bit of that sentence that you extracted from my post, I don't really intend on changing the system by not tipping, I fully intend on showing the server the reality of the profession. If serving is a terrible job and people are pulling money out of your pocket you should look for a different line of work. If nobody wanted to be a server systems would change.Why do you need to tip someone for doing their job? I mean it is nice, and when they are great servers I certainly don't mind tipping, but the base wage is what you should be banking on every paycheck, just like any job that is base + commission. If you take a job that doesn't pay you enough you need to look for a different outlet. I do feel sorry for the servers, but staying in their job isn't doing them any favors.

As someone who worked for 3-years in the restaurant biz as a server and manager, it is a HUGE insult if you don't tip, especially when service is good. Servers are paid min wage and depend on those tips, plus they have to tip out the kitchen and the bar based on their SALES (not tips), so if you stiff them it really hurts. If you are too cheap to leave a tip of at bare min 10% then don't go out to eat. Standard expectation for tips is 15-20%. And don't look down on your server thinking them uneducated and dumb, I served all through grad school to help pay my way and am now in med...nuff said.

Do you tip if you get take out?

I usually tip only on eat ins. I take the HST and round up to the nearest feasible amount I have on me with cash, or just punch in the exact number on the credit card machine. If the service is really good, I tip ~20% rounded to the nearest dollar

At most restaurants, take out orders are entered into the computer in a separate category. Servers are NOT required to tip out the kitchen/bar on their take out sales...so feel free to leave no tip on take out orders, it doesn't hurt the server one bit.

As someone who worked for 3-years in the restaurant biz as a server and manager, it is a HUGE insult if you don't tip, especially when service is good. Servers are paid min wage and depend on those tips, plus they have to tip out the kitchen and the bar based on their SALES (not tips), so if you stiff them it really hurts. If you are too cheap to leave a tip of at bare min 10% then don't go out to eat. Standard expectation for tips is 15-20%. And don't look down on your server thinking them uneducated and dumb, I served all through grad school to help pay my way and am now in med...nuff said.

+1.

10 char

I do feel sorry for the servers, but staying in their job isn't doing them any favors.

Ack, I really don't want to harp on your posts, but I have to answer this one too. I don't mean it as a direct comment to you, this is something that has come up repeatedly and you reminded me.

Some, maybe most, servers hate their jobs; however, it's not always a nowhere job, but tipping is a problem universally. My wife is a junior manager at a fine dining establishment, she makes good money (unless she gets a group of nontippers as her main table), she has tons of room for advancement into interesting positions (sommelier, manager, event planner, et cetera), and she genuinely loves her job and the people she works with. I've had six or seven different jobs, and only one job I consider better than the one she has right now. Yes, working at Montana's is not the best option, but serving is a wide and varied field, and this is kinda a blanket statement.

Despite loving her job and being in a real career rather than a McJob to pay the bills, she still has issues with customers not tipping.... this problem applies to everyone from a schmuck at Boston Pizza to a trained, certified wine expert waiting tables at a place where the cheapest entree is forty bucks and they charge for water.

Additionally, if everyone meets the cultural expectation to pay their server, then there's no reason to feel sorry for them. A properly tipped server makes a wage pretty much commensurate with the quality of the work they provide: some even make quite a decent amount of money, if they provide the service necessary to do so... and if they can do that, they deserve it, as they work hard to achieve that level. There's no need to pity them unless you are stiffing them, and if that is the case, the simplest remedy is to simply pay them what they are owed: pity doesn't pay the bills.

I feel as though I have for sure come out of these posts looking far cheaper than I am.

If I have dreadful service, I will not tip. I can count on one hand the amount of times I can refer to the service I received as dreadful.

Typically I will tip a server >10% and if they make the experience better for me it is more like >20%.

I don't agree with the whole idea that tips are expected income, and I hate receiving service proportional to the amount of tip the server is expecting. It is a bad system, and ANYBODY working that job should be aware of the financial aspect of it before starting.

If gratuities are an issue, make them part of the price and be done with it. If it is not part of the price, don't expect it and be grateful when they come.

And Erk, my comment about feeling sorry for them refers to people stiffing good servers, if I stiff a server it is because they made me regret coming out for dinner and I don't feel sorry for that at all.

I think all this stems from my issue of being told I "have" to do something because it's just what people do. I do not "have" to tip if a server apparently does not have to serve.

Jobs in service industry, just like many other "bad', "good" and "great" jobs, have a spectrum of bad, good and great customers as well as bad, good and great workers (and anything in between), as well as bad, good and great situations. So to say that you feel sorry for a server who wasn't tipped well due to the shortcomings of their profession is like saying that you feel sorry for a doctor when his patient's intestinal contents spilled out during rectal examination. In my opinion, you get what you signed up for - so deal with it...and no one should feel sorry for you.

I feel as though I have for sure come out of these posts looking far cheaper than I am.

LOL, sorry, like I said, not trying to come down so hard on you. :) I can tell you're not saying you don't tip, you're just arguing the other side so you get ganked a bit :)

^ I would feel sorry for you if you were that doctor.... not that it wasn't part of the job description, just that it was a "crappy" part of the job description

I can honestly see where you are coming from, but I think maybe saying that you would "empathize" with that doctor (or server) would be better? I think "feeling sorry" for somebody implies that you think you are better than them and that you are looking down at them with a sad face saying "poor you...I feel so sorry for YOU".

I don't agree with the whole idea that tips are expected income, and I hate receiving service proportional to the amount of tip the server is expecting. It is a bad system, and ANYBODY working that job should be aware of the financial aspect of it before starting.

I for one am in support of servers getting tips proportional to their service. Why? Because it means they have incentives to work hard and to give you good service. When you take that incentive away, it would have the same effect as unions (which allow people to be pretty lazy).

Also, to directly address that last point, people entering food service business are aware of the financial aspect. They realize that the only way they make decent money is from tips and that they have to do a good job to get them. They have also come to expect it because of the established system. As a customer, it is your responsibility to be aware of the social expectations about tipping waiters/waitresses, and if you wish to ignore that system then I feel that you shouldn't make use of their services or expect them to serve you well.

I like how a simple question on personal preference to tipping turns into an argument between the left-winged and the right-winged:p

For anyone against tipping, I believe you will be the most ardent supporter if you start working as a waiter. The same thing goes to supporters of death penalty - they support it until they themselves get a death penalty:D

Archived