Premed 101 Forums

Do you tip?

darknebula

I like how a simple question on personal preference to tipping turns into an argument between the left-winged and the right-winged:p

Eh? I don't think so. If I had to identify with a wing it would be left, but I'm one of the more vociferous in favour of tipping; phoenixflare sounds pretty right-wing, but is in the same camp as I am.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I receive really bad service at a restaurant, I will take it up with the manager. Either they did a poor job of training their employee and need to provide additional training, or they need to make sure they have an appropriate number of waitstaff ready to serve. I feel like simply not tipping does not really help the situation, or better the service in any way. In the end, I think the responsibility to ensure a good dining experience falls on the manager. I usually tip the regular 15% irrespective of service. I've worked in customer service for years, and always did my best to be pleasant and helpful - no tip. I just considered it was part of my job, and didn't expect (or get) bonuses for doing it to the best of my ability.

What about tipping for taxis? This is one area where I'm stingy when it comes to tips. I feel like taxi drivers make pretty good money, and have an ok job. Taxis cost a fortune so I only take them when absolutely necessary and don't tip that much (a few dollars usually).

• 7 months later...
Wouldn't you say as a Dr you are expecting other people to pay your rent?

We ALL have expectations of someone paying for our rent. It's called a job. Get used to it.

A doctor is either salaried or charges a fee-for-service, and makes money this way.

Similarly, a waiter is salaried, usually per hour.

But doctors don't go begging for tips, and neither should waiters. Why should we give them more money because they have a ****ty and low-paying job?

A doctor is either salaried or charges a fee-for-service, and makes money this way.

But doctors don't go begging for tips, and neither should waiters. Why should we give them more money because they have a ****ty and low-paying job?

Did you seriously run out of threads to troll on that you had to rez one from May?

how about when a place includes 15% gratuity in the bill...

that is just the worst :mad:

^The "service fees" some restaurants forcefully tack on to the bill is bs. You never actually know whether the "service fee" is going to the server either. People should be able to decide for themselves whether they want to tip. Whether someone tips or not is up to them, so I don't really care. Maybe I'd think otherwise if I were working a job where I got tipped though, I dunno.

I almost always tip, unless the service was complete ****. Bad food isn't the fault of the waitress/waiter. I'll ask them to take care of it, and if they fix the problem, then I tip. If they don't, but I can tell they genuinely tried, I still tip. If they don't fix it and don't give a rat's ass about it, then yeah, I'm not tipping.

Self entitlement to tips bugs me too.

Honestly though, it's really not hard to get a tip out of me. Be nice, do your job, etc. and I'll tip.

If the service is AWFUL (as in I asked for a spoon so I can EAT MY FOOD but its been 20 min and you are no where to be seen - especially when the place isnt busy....) then you get nothing for me and a dirty look to boot :P

But if its 'ok' service to great I tip depending.

What I hate about tipping is never knowing how much is 'ok' - tip app calculator is awesome

I sometimes go by percentage and sometimes round up to nearest $10....sometimes it means I'm being too generous but usually adds up fair enough ;)

but unless the service is god awful I feel BAD for not leaving a tip. I mean these people usually make less than minimum wage!!!

A side note to tipping: I hate figuring out how much to tip for services. The *same* tip for the same service to different people always has different reaction... Some will be ecstatic :D others will be all :confused: so I'm always left unsure...=(

but unless the service is god awful I feel BAD for not leaving a tip. I mean these people usually make less than minimum wage!!!

This is one of the "lies" that has been fed to us by waiters.

If it turns out that a waiter ended up making less than minimum wage, the owner is legally required to reimburse them until they are making minimum wage! This applies to every restaurant in Canada/U.S.

I hope clearing that up will help your decisions in the future :) Hopefully less people will feel bad for not leaving a tip from now on!

This is one of the "lies" that has been fed to us by waiters.

If it turns out that a waiter ended up making less than minimum wage, the owner is legally required to reimburse them until they are making minimum wage! This applies to every restaurant in Canada/U.S.

Servers have lower minimum wages in many locations including Ontario. There is no legal requirement in Ontario for any restaurant to ensure that their serving staff receives the regular minimum wages with tips or without. You can check the labour board and employment standards for confirmation.

I hope clearing that up will help your decisions in the future :) Hopefully less people will feel bad for not leaving a tip from now on!

Wikipedia states that a CBC poll found that 78% of Canadians regularly leave their servers the standard gratuity of 15%. That the percentage on this forum appears to be lower, possibly significantly so, is pretty embarrassing.

I used to work as a kitchen cook for a while. We made crappy tips, while waiters made fortunes each night. It is frustraiting how many mistakes servers make, completing orders for items not on the menu, requesting sauces that don't exist, not telling about allergies and then blaming us. On top of that they would pick up their food late and many time we would have to take time to reheat stuff - which only diminised the quality of food.

Yet still I tip about 15-20% each time... I feel guilty if I don't. I tend to tip more if service is crap. Simply because I feel like that might cheer them up, or make them feel bad for how badly they served me... I pretty tired of it. I am not a demanding customer in fact I've been there myself, but you have to admit most than half of those servers hate their jobs. They don't want to be there, and they take it out on customers - Why should I tip for that???

I work in a coffee shop, and I tend to get a lot of tips. People often comment on how I make them smile everyday. But in no way I do it for tips! I don't love my job, but I do enjoy dealing with people. No matter how ****ty my day is, I put on a smile and serve them like family.

It's called customer service.

- scrubs - tipping

Concerning coffee shops. I really don't like when they label their jars "tips". That implies people are expected to tip, when they're not. If someone wants to tip - they know where it goes, no need to label it.

It's a minimum wage job - most place don't even require that many skills, training is easy.

I always tip at least 10%... even if the service is just average. after you've worked in the food industry or have good friends who have, you realize how much tips mean to the servers, hosts/hostesses, bartenders, and kitchen staff. it's not just your own server you're tipping - it usually gets divided between a whole slew of employees.

if service is really good, I tip 15-20%. I don't know about you guys, but I would feel embarrassed to return to a restaurant where I didn't leave a tip.

+1 to all for me as well. all my best friends are waitresses.. i get an earful and now i've learnt lol

Servers have lower minimum wages in many locations including Ontario. There is no legal requirement in Ontario for any restaurant to ensure that their serving staff receives the regular minimum wages with tips or without. You can check the labour board and employment standards for confirmation.

No, the law applies to Ontario as well. Feel free to check their government's policies.

Wikipedia states that a CBC poll found that 78% of Canadians regularly leave their servers the standard gratuity of 15%. That the percentage on this forum appears to be lower, possibly significantly so, is pretty embarrassing.

Umm... yeah great logic. "Hey, I don't throw money around so I should be embarassed. Hey not paying people money they didn't earn, how outrageous!"

I tip if someone goes out of their way to make my experience more enjoyable - for example, recently, a manager prepared something special for one of my friends because he is a vegetarian. I gave about a 25% tip; because that is something he doesn't have to do, but made our experience more enjoyable. Also, he did not charge extra for his inconvenience (initially made a meat dish, and then made a fresh veggie dish, no charge).

I always tip my doctor a little something extra for writing me the correct prescription, don't you do this?

I agree good customer service is really key! I dont care if you hate your job...find another one...dont take it out on me!! :( But on the other side customers should be nice - I hate douchebags who act like mega jerks

But if you have a good attitude waiters can have some mighty good pay. One of my best friends...her parents are both waiters and always have been....lets just say there standard of living is pretty high (I know it sounds bad but I was actually sooo surprised to find out just how well off they are!)

I think thats also why she tips very well too 20% + ... according to her, tips are what are paying for her education ;) hehe

I don't care how good the service is. I don't tip, ever. If the server is not happy with their wage then they can quit and find a new job. They want more money, then the restaurant should be increasing their wage. I already pay $10 - $15 for a burger why the hell would I give an additional 15% to some waiter that just brought me my food and drink?

When I worked at Best Buy I didn't get tipped for my excellent customer service. I didn't get tipped when I had to carry a TV down to their car. I didn't get tipped when I spent over 2 hours with a customer to answer all of their questions.

Tipping is honestly the biggest bull**** scheme I have ever seen in my entire life and it is just a way for the restaurants to save money. I don't tip because society tells me to.

If you want to tip, fine. But don't go around calling people douche bags for not tipping - its their money and they can do whatever they want with it. If they act nice, then I repay them by acting just as nice.

I don't care how good the service is. I don't tip, ever. If the server is not happy with their wage then they can quit and find a new job. They want more money, then the restaurant should be increasing their wage. I already pay $10 - $15 for a burger why the hell would I give an additional 15% to some waiter that just brought me my food and drink?

When I worked at Best Buy I didn't get tipped for my excellent customer service. I didn't get tipped when I had to carry a TV down to their car. I didn't get tipped when I spent over 2 hours with a customer to answer all of their questions.

Tipping is honestly the biggest bull**** scheme I have ever seen in my entire life and it is just a way for the restaurants to save money. I don't tip because society tells me to.

If you want tip, fine. But don't go around calling people douche bags for not tipping - its their money and they can do whatever they want with it. If they act nice, then I repay them by acting just as nice.

Lol that sounds kind of harsh, I understand what you're trying to say though

I guess it is rooted from how society works, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing either

The restaurant industry is a joke... the argument is always "servers make minimum wage, they need tips to make a decent income"... why do restaurants get to pay their employees a crap wage, forcing the customers to pay their employees' salaries?... restaurants should just be paying their servers more - i'm paying for the food, not the service... for all i care i'll pick up my plate from the kitchen... very rarely in my life have i had service that was much beyond taking my order, bringing me food, filling my water twice, and asking me if the food is okay... i hear that serving is difficult, but if that's the case, they should just be paid more...

there's nothing worse though when a restaurant incorporates a 15 or 20% tip into the bill... 1, because often you don't even realize, and end up tipping double and 2, regardless of it being customary, restaurants shouldn't have the right to "charge" me for a tip of the % that they feel is obligatory, regardless of how the service was that night

that said, i usually tip 15-20% lol.... but i think it's a stupid custom... what makes servers and barbers and whichever other select occupations deserve tips and others don't?

I just tip around the same amount as the taxes rounded up to the nearest dollar - so about 12+%. I don't feel obligated to tip more because after all I am a student and don't have much money myself. If the service is stellar then I will tip a lot, but that rarely happens. Perhaps when I am older - and have more money -I will tip more.

Question for you guys : Do you tip on the final bill (including taxes) or the subtotal (before taxes)?

Archived