Premed 101 Forums

Do you tip?

darknebula

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always tip unless the service is atrocious. Honestly, if you are so worried about that massive debt you are racking up that you can't leave $2 for the waiter, why are you even going out? It's not your server's problem.

Oh, and gotta love going out with the non-tippers- the types who'll "split the bill" and will pay EXACTLY $9.99 for a $9.99 order - no tip or tax, and then I'm expected to pick it up.

I always tip at least 10%... even if the service is just average. after you've worked in the food industry or have good friends who have, you realize how much tips mean to the servers, hosts/hostesses, bartenders, and kitchen staff. it's not just your own server you're tipping - it usually gets divided between a whole slew of employees.

if service is really good, I tip 15-20%. I don't know about you guys, but I would feel embarrassed to return to a restaurant where I didn't leave a tip.

I always tip well (20%+). I have to eat gluten free, which usually involves asking a million awkward questions before I can order anything, so I like to tip well because I think I'm sending the message that it's worth it to them to help out people with restricted diets. :)

Frankly, people who don't tip p@!# me off. Unless the service was terrible then I see NO reason why you shouldn't or can't tip.

If you honestly can't afford the couple bucks in tip then you shouldn't be eating out in the first place.

To the OP, you say you don't feel right given you have a debt and it's not "your" money to give. That's fine but what if the person serving you was a student themselves but because of the stupid OSAP rules their parents made too much money for them to qualify but too little to help with that persons education? So now they are trying to work AND go to school. Working a crappy serving job to help pay for school and you just stiffed them on a tip because you can't afford it or don't feel "right" tipping with money that isn't yours. Consider that the next time you don't want to tip someone who served you a meal and fetched drinks for you.

As a server, I always tip at least 15%. What a lot of people don't realize is that many of the things that seem like 'bad service', such as poor quality food, or long wait times, are not necessarily in the server's control. Send the food back if you must, but don't take it out on the server.

I usually do tip about 10% in restaurants. However, once I ordered a delivery pizza and I pulled out 30 dollars cash. The f**king delivery ******* just took my 30 dollars without first giving back the changes. It was WAY more than the 10% tip. Pissed me off.

Being raised by a single mom with three boys within 4 years of each other who worked full time as a waitress I cannot stress the importance of tipping.

Those tips that people gave her helped give me an opportunity to thrive.

I tip well (20+%) even if the service was mediocre. But that's because I'm a bleeding heart.

My tipping schedule:

Atrocious service: $0.01 (if you're going to be rude and ignorant to me, i'll be rude and ignorant right back)

Poor service: 10%

Average service: 15%

Good service: 20%

And +1 regarding the people who don't tip on a shared bill. I've been on the receiving end of that more than once.

protein powder is expensive :(

Anyways i always tip, and i tend to tip 10-15% i just tip whatever the next dollar value up from 10% would be and then however many cents it would take to make the bill an even dollar value. I find it a lot more efficient and less hassle than the kids who pull out their phones and search for the tip calculator app..

I wont lie and say that i always tip though... if its a buffet.. eff that or if there is a gratuity already charged.. nothing makes me rage more than gratuities!!!! :@

A tip is a part of the price of eating out. I worked as a waitress too, and tips are an important part of income for serving staff. They're not rich people, and probably not even living as well as many students do.

As a lol- I have a restaurant I know the owner at, and she sometimes charges me very little for what I've eaten. And I can eat a lot of raw fish. In that case, it's not uncommon for me to leave a 50% tip, but the wait staff there are my friends and running partners. :)

I'll leave no tip if there is a gratuities charge or if the service was horrible.

I'll leave 10% if the service was bad

20%+ if it was good service

I hate shared bills.. if someone gives you cash without a tip you're the one who looks like an ******* if you don't cover their tip.

I also hate if the waitress doesn't act nice until you ask for your bill... *****

As a lol- I have a restaurant I know the owner at, and she sometimes charges me very little for what I've eaten. And I can eat a lot of raw fish. In that case, it's not uncommon for me to leave a 50% tip, but the wait staff there are my friends and running partners. :)

Similar here. I have a few friends who own resto's and generally never charge me when I go in to eat but I always leave the equivalent of what the meal would cost in tip and I know those serving me are always super appreciative which is good enough for me.

A tip is a part of the price of eating out. I worked as a waitress too, and tips are an important part of income for serving staff. They're not rich people, and probably not even living as well as many students do.

This is what I hate. A tip should be exactly that, a tip. Not something that is a necessity, but something that indicates service above and beyond.

I would much rather the "tip" that makes up the "lower-income" be included in the price of my meal, than something I'm mandated to pay.

Regardless, I tip 15% usually, just because it's a custom, not because I necessarily believe in it.

This is what I hate. A tip should be exactly that, a tip. Not something that is a necessity, but something that indicates service above and beyond.

I would much rather the "tip" that makes up the "lower-income" be included in the price of my meal, than something I'm mandated to pay.

Regardless, I tip 15% usually, just because it's a custom, not because I necessarily believe in it.

X2

I hate tipping because:

1) It makes me feel like I'm covering their wages and management is getting off scoff free. I'd rather pay 20% more for food than leave a 10% tip just because.

2) I hate how people expect tips.

3) I hate people who call you cheap if you don't tip or aren't a big tipper, like it's a part of culture or something. I'd probably pay twice as much for the meal, but because I don't throw a few bucks on the table these tippers think they're better than me. I hate this Americanization.

Honestly, if I ever ran a restaurant, I would pay everyone at least $10/hour (plus medical, dental, etc) and ban tipping. If you accept a tip, you get fired.

X2

I hate tipping because:

1) It makes me feel like I'm covering their wages and management is getting off scoff free. I'd rather pay 20% more for food than leave a 10% tip just because.

This I don't get. What you're saying is that if your meal costs $10 right now, you'd rather that the restaurant charge you $12 and then give $2 to the waiter/waitress than letting you decide how much you want to give your server. Why? At least as things are, if the service is bad you have the option of leaving nothing. Or if your server does something over the top, you can elect to give them a extra little bit. And then you know that the money is going directly to the person who is serving you, rather than trusting the manager to pay his/her employee fairly rather than pocketing an extra 10% for himself.

This I don't get. What you're saying is that if your meal costs $10 right now, you'd rather that the restaurant charge you $12 and then give $2 to the waiter/waitress than letting you decide how much you want to give your server. Why? At least as things are, if the service is bad you have the option of leaving nothing. Or if your server does something over the top, you can elect to give them a extra little bit. And then you know that the money is going directly to the person who is serving you, rather than trusting the manager to pay his/her employee fairly rather than pocketing an extra 10% for himself.

Because it's a matter of a tip being something you give when service is exceptional. It has nothing to do with being cheap. If a hamburger costs $20 then so be it. I can choose to order it or not. But to have hidden expectations of payment is just wrong. Why don't all companies not pay their workers and have the customers decide how much the worker should make? It just doesn't work that way. The only reason people tip at restaurants is because 40-50 years ago, people wanted to act like big shots in front of their friends and started leaving tips.

I also don't believe GST/PST/HST should exist. You shouldn't be taxed on the money you make or spend, only for specific things (i.e. hospital tax).

Because it's a matter of a tip being something you give when service is exceptional. It has nothing to do with being cheap. If a hamburger costs $20 then so be it. I can choose to order it or not. But to have hidden expectations of payment is just wrong. Why don't all companies not pay their workers and have the customers decide how much the worker should make? It just doesn't work that way. The only reason people tip at restaurants is because 40-50 years ago, people wanted to act like big shots in front of their friends and started leaving tips.

No a tip is not something you give when service is exceptional. It is EXPECTED and part of the cost of eating out. Hardly a "hidden" expectation for anyone who, has, oh lived and dined in North America over the last several decades or so. So, sorry, but yes, it has everything to do with being cheap and/or unable to follow the most basic social conventions. Even Larry David

So, good luck attempting to change a custom that has existed for "40-50 years".

I also don't believe GST/PST/HST should exist. You shouldn't be taxed on the money you make or spend, only for specific things (i.e. hospital tax).

So if we shouldn't tax income or consumption, just exactly what should we tax?

As for the argument that "I have a lot of debt and/or not much money" and so shouldn't be expected to tip well if at all, well, that's pretty weak. Either you're complaining about spending a couple bucks on a modest meal or you're out enjoying extravagant meals where the tip would actually be relatively significant. And if it's the latter, where do you have the money for that?

I know a lot of waiters/waitresses tend to take a lot of crap, and I know eventually I'm going to be in a pretty good financial situation, so I tip most of the time. I don't often bother calculating 10 or 15%, I just throw in a couple bucks. The only time I don't tip is if my service was terrible e.g. the waitress had a lot of attitude (for some reason it's only girls, all the waiters I've had have been exceptional, then again there have been less of them I suppose).

And to swank, in North America it's just customary to tip, like saying please and thank you. I suppose in Europe they have more of your type of system where the tip is just worked into the bill, but everyone knows that it's there anyways. Also as another side note, taxes pay for roads and stuff, and your children's education. And your education. Just so you know.

Archived