Premed 101 Forums

Do you tip?

darknebula

Oh boy, the tipping discussion! I have had many a heated conversation with friends on this matter.

My husband and I tip 15% when served, 10% at a buffet, and more than that for exceptional, above standard service. We have tipped less or not at all for sub-par service. I believe that our system is reasonable and we do gauge it on multiple factors including how busy the establishment is at the time, as well as how much work we put on our server.

I believe that it is inappropriate to not tip out of protest. It is a custom that is expected in North America --period. I believe this is especially important in jurisdictions where there is a "tipped" minimum wage and a "non-tipped" minimum wage. Not tipping in these cases is effectively stealing from the server.

However, I also believe that the amount of the tip should be at the sole discretion of the customer -- that is to say, if the customer felt that the service was poor or amazing, it is their right to tip according to their perceived level of service, regardless of whether the server believes otherwise. That is the consequence of making it discretionary and not including it in the menu prices. Servers that are not in accord with this would do well to find other jobs that pay better and don't rely on the whims of disgruntled patrons.

That is my 2-cents.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh boy, the tipping discussion! I have had many a heated conversation with friends on this matter.

My husband and I tip 15% when served, 10% at a buffet, and more than that for exceptional, above standard service. We have tipped less or not at all for sub-par service. I believe that our system is reasonable and we do gauge it on multiple factors including how busy the establishment is at the time, as well as how much work we put on our server.

I believe that it is inappropriate to not tip out of protest. It is a custom that is expected in North America --period. I believe this is especially important in jurisdictions where there is a "tipped" minimum wage and a "non-tipped" minimum wage. Not tipping in these cases is effectively stealing from the server.

However, I also believe that the amount of the tip should be at the sole discretion of the customer -- that is to say, if the customer felt that the service was poor or amazing, it is their right to tip according to their perceived level of service, regardless of whether the server believes otherwise. That is the consequence of making it discretionary and not including it in the menu prices. Servers that are not in accord with this would do well to find other jobs that pay better and don't rely on the whims of disgruntled patrons.

That is my 2-cents.

I'd say that the owner who doesn't pay their staff a reasonable wage is stealing from the server.

So to make it easier on the owner we pay for the service? What if we can't afford it? Don't tell me we shouldn't be eating out if that is the case. The same argument can be made where the owner shouldn't run a restaurant if he or she can't afford to pay decent wages for employees.

+99999999999999999999999999999999.

I tip regularly, but only because it is customary. Before anyone pulls the "you wouldn't understand" card on me, let me just say that I've been a server myself. It's honestly not a very hard or demanding job to bring food to people, to wipe tables and to sweep the floor.

Can someone please explain to me why people working in other occupations who get minimum wage -while doing much more difficult jobs than servers- don't have the privilege of expecting tips?

I'm glad to be moving to Australia - NO TIPPING.

I have no problems with tipping, just because it's customary. But I've had bartenders at clubs bark at customers saying "c'mon! tip 15%". How about you not be an a$$hole and I'll think about it? I understand that servers make their money from tips, but a lot of servers feel entitled to a tip when they're half a$$ing their job.

I have no problems with tipping, just because it's customary. But I've had bartenders at clubs bark at customers saying "c'mon! tip 15%". How about you not be an a$$hole and I'll think about it? I understand that servers make their money from tips, but a lot of servers feel entitled to a tip when they're half a$$ing their job.

See, this is where I become very annoyed with the tipping culture. If one can be so bold as to demand 15%, it should be incorporated in the menu prices at the outset. If you are leaving it at my discretion, then I will tip as I see fit according to the service. If I feel it is worth 15%, I will tip that. If I feel it was sub-par, I will tip less. Again, I consider myself fair and reasonable with tipping, and I have no problem under-tipping poor service. My response to someone who demands a tip would be to find another job that is not so bankrupt that you have to break etiquette by asking for a tip.

No, the law applies to Ontario as well. Feel free to check their government's policies.

I realize it has been a couple days since I have been on here so I wasn't going to bother, but this combination of ignorance and certainty leaves me no choice. You are wrong. Completely wrong. I even told you where to check. I realized that it was unlikely that you would. But don't tell to check policies that you haven't bothered to look up.

Umm... yeah great logic. "Hey, I don't throw money around so I should be embarassed. Hey not paying people money they didn't earn, how outrageous!"

I didn't tell you throw money around. You can order takeout, cook your own food home, dumpster dive, etc. But if you think that someone else should serve you your food for free, well I have nothing more to say to you.

According to this site (accurate? Don't know.) the average cost of a low end restaurant meal is 28% more expensive in Australia than Canada. And a mid-range meal is more than 25% more expensive. Damn that 15% tip is a real gouge.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Australia&country2=Canada

I didn't tell you throw money around. You can order takeout, cook your own food home, dumpster dive, etc. But if you think that someone else should serve you your food for free, well I have nothing more to say to you.

they aren't serving it for free. they get paid, its not my fault their pay isnt great. but all they do is serve food. it aint rocket science. and customers pay a bill, they're not getting anything for free.

According to this site (accurate? Don't know.) the average cost of a low end restaurant meal is 28% more expensive in Australia than Canada. And a mid-range meal is more than 25% more expensive. Damn that 15% tip is a real gouge.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Australia&country2=Canada

Not sure if the comparison for eating out is between menu prices or if they take into account that tipping is customary in Canada.

Of course I'm not looking forward to paying more, but I am looking forward to paying exactly what the menu states. All taxes are included in the prices. So if a burger is $10, and a drink is $2 as an example, I won't have to do rough calculations for taxes or tipping.. I know I'll be paying $12 dollars.

If you do the comparison for Toronto (where I'm from) and Melbourne (where i'm going), the differences are much smaller.

Archived