Premed 101 Forums

My thoughts on Fashion Trends

thehockeykid

If you want to laugh a bit, I'll PM you the link to the nail blog I used to do or my flickr account.. did get me some free collections to review!

I would love it! I read nail blogs and take pictures of my nails all the time :o I considered starting a nail blog heehee.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Girls who take care of their nails definitely get bonus points... its just a nice touch :)

I don't even remember who the OP was but damn do you hate a lot of things :P I will definitely have to disagree with you on your jean rant though... i dunno where you buy your bootcut but it definitely doesn't look like a flare *currently wearing bootcut jeans* *checks mirror* ... nope i dont see it :P As for washes, there's a time and place for both dark and light washes.. just depends on where you're going / what shirt you're wearing.

And i actually like neutral coloured shirts with crazy large abstract graphics on them (not jersey shore style) they look good, and they detract from the boringness that are long sleeves...

I'm personally a fan of shirts myself, and i probably own more shirts than any normal guy should but i prefer to wear them in the evening if we're going out or something. In the daytime, especially summer, its all about the T's or fluorescent lacoste (substitute whatever brand you'd like) polo's :)

As for girls, i don't know what it is but i really like seeing girls in those TNA sweaters that are plastered with TNA all over them.. i don't really care either way about the name branding or walking billboard syndrome that some people are averse to, but those sweaters are super colourful and bright and they person fun enough to wear one is usually always fun enough to hang out with :)

Ok, how about a good contribution.

I find the difference in fashion due to location fascinating. I am in Prince George, BC and its normal for women to wear jeans (usually bootcut) or lululemon pants, tshirt or tank top, hoodie, flats or runners. When I was down in Vancouver recently, the vast majority of women wore skinny jeans tucked into boots, more fashionable tops than us northerners, cute jackets, and of course packed around an umbrella. UNBC has brought in more Vancouverites, so we see more skinny jeans than in the past. We seem much simpler and more relaxed than the southerners!

Ok, how about a good contribution.

I find the difference in fashion due to location fascinating. I am in Prince George, BC and its normal for women to wear jeans (usually bootcut) or lululemon pants, tshirt or tank top, hoodie, flats or runners. When I was down in Vancouver recently, the vast majority of women wore skinny jeans tucked into boots, more fashionable tops than us northerners, cute jackets, and of course packed around an umbrella. UNBC has brought in more Vancouverites, so we see more skinny jeans than in the past. We seem much simpler and more relaxed than the southerners!

So you're telling me I'd fit right in in Prince George?

Here in Montreal it's very very varied, but it's more a generation thing it seems. I've been taking basic bio/chem classes this winter and summer because my cegep was done too long ago and I needed them for med school. In my classes, there were the older people similar to me, and then the ones that go to school with super tight jeans, high heels, big hair, big makeup and everything. Also varies by ethnicity.

What is that umbrella thing you talk about? lol

Girls who take care of their nails definitely get bonus points... its just a nice touch :)

I don't even remember who the OP was but damn do you hate a lot of things :P I will definitely have to disagree with you on your jean rant though... i dunno where you buy your bootcut but it definitely doesn't look like a flare *currently wearing bootcut jeans* *checks mirror* ... nope i dont see it :P As for washes, there's a time and place for both dark and light washes.. just depends on where you're going / what shirt you're wearing.

And i actually like neutral coloured shirts with crazy large abstract graphics on them (not jersey shore style) they look good, and they detract from the boringness that are long sleeves...

I'm personally a fan of shirts myself, and i probably own more shirts than any normal guy should but i prefer to wear them in the evening if we're going out or something. In the daytime, especially summer, its all about the T's or fluorescent lacoste (substitute whatever brand you'd like) polo's :)

As for girls, i don't know what it is but i really like seeing girls in those TNA sweaters that are plastered with TNA all over them.. i don't really care either way about the name branding or walking billboard syndrome that some people are averse to, but those sweaters are super colourful and bright and they person fun enough to wear one is usually always fun enough to hang out with :)

OP just loves to be an OP - check his post history and you'll see

I tip my hat off to anyone who does their nails on a regular basis - I just don't have the patience. Nothing more frustrating than having to avoid touching anything for like 3 hours only to proceed to smudge a nail when you are think it's all dry and ready to go - and have to do it all over again. Same with hairdos - I just don't have the patience. I either have it up in a ponytail (50% of the time), down, or up in a French twist with a clip. Once in a blue moon I'll braid it - 2 minutes is as much time as I am willing to spend on my hair.

I like clothes, but I don't like spending a ton on them. I'd definitely put Lululemon into the "not worth the money" column. I get dropping $100 for a nice pair of leather boots or a coat that will last you several seasons, but not for workout pants you are gonna sweat in.

As far as stores, I LOVE H&M - some of the stuff is definitely a little too trendy, but otherwise there's a nice variety of age-appropriate AND work-appropriate options. But I can't wear their pants, for example, they just aren't cut for my bodytype. I get most of my pants and jeans/workout clothes from Winners. I've bought dress pants there for as low as $3! And I love Ebay!

Lately, I've been making sure that most of my clothing purchases are clerkship-appropriate, so as much as I love all these cute H&M rompers, I go for stuff that's no more than an inch or two above the knee, and nothing terribly frilly or see-through. And no puffy sleeves that would prevent me from putting on my white coat. I've also stocked up on flats and low wedges for the long days ahead, and a couple of cardigans so I can still get away with wearing my sleeveless shirts and dresses.

See for me, lululemon is in the category worth paying for because that's where I've found the most comfortable clothes that fit me, and because they last for so long! I haven't bought a pair of pants there in 2 years, yet still have 4 pairs that are between 2 and 6 years old and they all still look new :) It's my one spending allowance, love their running crops and training tanks. I really don't buy much else anywhere!

Only store I've found dress pants to date is Smart Set. Actually all my work appropriate clothes come from there I think. Even then, this year they have 1 model that fits my legs, so I bought the 2 colors ;)

I also dislike the ''leggins/jeggings/tights-as-pants''trend.

and ugg boots

and canada goose winter coats (theyre everywhere!)

and joggings(sweats) with writings on the booty.

I like this kind of outfit (on the left) :outfit

ps: are leggings under shorts a no-no?blair-mj-flats.jpg]I like to wear this sometimes but my friend thinks it looks funny...

I *liked* lululemon, from several years ago. I still have 4 pairs of pants that I bought over 2 years. However...the current quality sucks and yet they charge the same or higher prices. Furthermore, they seem to be shifting to smaller and smaller sizes, or at least they are getting rid of the large sizes. That's because bigger people don't exercise, eh?:rolleyes:

That said, I have many pairs of exercise pants and none compare to lulu's. I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but they really are that good. I guess, they are like the exercise equivalent of TNA pants.

I *liked* lululemon, from several years ago. I still have 4 pairs of pants that I bought over 2 years. However...the current quality sucks and yet they charge the same or higher prices. Furthermore, they seem to be shifting to smaller and smaller sizes, or at least they are getting rid of the large sizes. That's because bigger people don't exercise, eh?:rolleyes:

That said, I have many pairs of exercise pants and none compare to lulu's. I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but they really are that good. I guess, they are like the exercise equivalent of TNA pants.

Have they really started to shift to smaller sizes? I haven't noticed because I wear small sizes, but if that's true it's really too bad :( I haven't had quality problems yet *knock on wood*, that sucks though.

One more thing I love is flats, so much more comfortable for me than heels! I like that there are a lot of cute ones in stores this year, and usually cheaper than fancier shoes.

I live in a town a few hours away from Vancouver too, and it's the same as you describ in PG!

As far as lulu changing sizing- in my estimation the smaller sizes have gotten bigger. I used to wear a size 6 in tops, now it's a 4.

They used t be made in Vancouver, and a few years ago it all started to be made in China. It's still well-made, though.

I really, really want to have a professional manicure done, because I never have! Is it a good experience?

I live in a town a few hours away from Vancouver too, and it's the same as you describ in PG!

As far as lulu changing sizing- in my estimation the smaller sizes have gotten bigger. I used to wear a size 6 in tops, now it's a 4.

They used t be made in Vancouver, and a few years ago it all started to be made in China. It's still well-made, though.

I really, really want to have a professional manicure done, because I never have! Is it a good experience?

I've never fit in a lulu top so i cannot comment on the top sizing. All i know is that they were not made for ladies with *ahem* large ribcages. However, I know that the luon is being made a lot more cheaply. Pants in one colour that I bought several years ago did not pill, but the newer ones have. Also, the thickness of the same material (same colour!) has changed as well. I am just much more finicky about my clothes, but I figure that at those prices I should get the quality that I've come to expect and think I am paying for.

Re: Manicure: what kind of manicure do you have in mind? Just a manicure of your own nails or false nails? Personally, I did gel nails for a few months and I hated them. Awful, horrid, terrible things that were more trouble and cost than they're worth. I go and get regular manicures on and off, but try to do pedicures frequently to keep my feet pretty. I think feet are very neglected body parts and deserve TLC. Good luck finding a GOOD esthetician, though. That is the challenge. I have one I ADORE in Ottawa but haven't found anyone comparable in 3 other cities :(

• 2 months later...
glad to see some fashionistas on this forum~ i m from UWO..and the stereotypical girls on campus are in: lululemons, uggs, coach, burberry scarfs and rainboots...yeah..that s all I can think of right now...

lol.. this made me laugh.. I totally can't afford anything like that, i have been wearing the same shoes since 2009.. eww i know

glad to see some fashionistas on this forum~ i m from UWO..and the stereotypical girls on campus are in: lululemons, uggs, coach, burberry scarfs and rainboots...yeah..that s all I can think of right now...

LOL, that's same with girls here too.

>__<

London is a laid back city though. I know some of these girls- stick them back in Toronto and they'll be dressed to the nines.

This.

I went to UWO originally and partied at pretty much all the Ontario Universities at one point or another and much prefered the girls at Western :D

And yeah, they know how to kick it up a notch fashionwise when it's required.

Its school. Who really cares what someome wears as long as its clean?

Archived