Premed 101 Forums

No facebook = social suicide?

Boa

''Seriously, even my mom has FB. If you don’t, you barely exist to me.''

link to article/

Really??

I used to have fb but I deactivated my account like 3 or 4 years ago...Now,this is what happens whenever I meet someone new:

-person: Hey can you give me your email, ill add you on fb :)

-me: oh, I don't have facebook...

-p: :eek:

No, I don't have anything to hide, Im not scared of privacy settings, I just got fed up of fb for some reason and decided to stop using it. Why do people consider this ''abnormal''?

What do you guys think about this?

Mine's deactivated too. I just wasn't getting much out of it. If someone really wants to keep in touch, they can take your email, and, y'know, email you with it. Pretty hard to establish and deepen a relationship through facebook.. for preexisting relationships, it was just an alternate method of communication. It's abnormal to people because they look askance at whatever is different from themselves. In any case, you're not the only one with a dormant account... I know quite a few others who check theirs very infrequently.

Facebook is great for organizing events, keeping in touch, and a bunch of other stuff. It's considered abnormal not to have fb because most people do have it..

Not everyone will get the same thing out of it, and if you don't feel like it makes any part of your life easier, or is beneficial in any way, then don't use it.

I don't ever have meaningful conversations on facebook... that's for email. I don't see the point of stalking people on facebook either. But useful to keep in the loop about things happening in my program (e.g. upcoming assignments due... because I actually don't keep track until the last week), and for admiring people who are much more talented than me (photography, dance, etc)

Also,I've never had peanut butter and jelly (what the heck is jelly?!)

If someone doesn't have facebook, i just email them; if they don't have email, i call them. Not a big deal

If someone doesn't have facebook, i just email them; if they don't have email, i call them. Not a big deal

well thats exactly my point. I just think it's inapropriate for people to use ''well you 're not on facebook'' as an excuse for not keeping in touch.theres still the phone and email. Im just wondering why fb is the primary (and only) way of communication for some ppl.

ps:

I don't think not having FB is abnormal.. I have some friends who deactivate their accounts once in a while to get away.

For me I love FB because I can see what's happening with all my swimming friends that are all over the country. I wouldn't necessarily email with most of them, but they're friends so it's nice to see when something special happens. I've caught up with many past school friends too, people from 15 years ago. And then I have some internet-only friends I met on message boards here and there. I don't really have real-life friends besides my swim circle, but my one best friend we talk in person or text/email. Same with my sister.

well thats exactly my point. I just think it's inapropriate for people to use ''well you 're not on facebook'' as an excuse for not keeping in touch.theres still the phone and email. Im just wondering why fb is the primary (and only) way of communication for some ppl.

ps:

Thanks for the link =D I like how a dancing banana is singing about PB & J. So jelly... is it just jam?

I find facebook very helpful, when it comes to knowing what's happening at my university in terms of events and issues concerning us students directly. I really don't go out of my way to go and talk to someone who i talk to quite frequently on facebook. It's nice to see pictures of your friends vacation, and facebook can be a helpful tool for birthdays, especially for people like me who forget them all the time. Other than that, facebook isn't all that great. Just a time killer to be honest. I don't understand how people get addicted to it and have to deactivate it during exams.

Facebook is a great hub for everything that is going on in almost all aspects of your social life... Is it the be all and end all of communication? No, but its definitely one of the best ways to spread information / keep people informed.

IMO keeping in touch via email is a really archaic for of communication... i reserve that for communicating with medschools, professors, research partners etc. Things that need to appear formal in some way or another.

I would never email my friends, especially when i could just send them a fb msg and tada, we now have an easily accessible thread of our conversation.

I would say its not really a bad thing not to have it, if you don't like it then don't bother. But for the 30 seconds it would take to put up a profile, you could easily just get that person to add you to facebook and then in a day or 2 just use texting as your main method of communication. Problem solved :)

Facebook is a great hub for everything that is going on in almost all aspects of your social life... Is it the be all and end all of communication? No, but its definitely one of the best ways to spread information / keep people informed.

IMO keeping in touch via email is a really archaic for of communication... i reserve that for communicating with medschools, professors, research partners etc. Things that need to appear formal in some way or another.

I would never email my friends, especially when i could just send them a fb msg and tada, we now have an easily accessible thread of our conversation.

I would say its not really a bad thing not to have it, if you don't like it then don't bother. But for the 30 seconds it would take to put up a profile, you could easily just get that person to add you to facebook and then in a day or 2 just use texting as your main method of communication. Problem solved :)

good point obi :) i personnaly dont have anything against facebookers, i just find it odd that it is a pre-requisite to start a friendship. For example, if I say no I dont have fb, ppl think it's because i dont want to be friends with them (in real life), so they wont try to pursue the friendship. (if that makes any sense...).

fb's great, i just think of it like an index card of my friends and acquaintances, great for keeping in touch with people who move or people you meet traveling through europe/wherever, it's also great for organizing events and get togethers, parties and what not... yeah, i personally think it's strange if someone doesn't have facebook, you can always use a fake name, lolz

prob because i assume 99 percent of people have fb and that you're lying to me because you don't really like me :rolleyes: lol

good point obi :) i personnaly dont have anything against facebookers, i just find it odd that it is a pre-requisite to start a friendship. For example, if I say no I dont have fb, ppl think it's because i dont want to be friends with them (in real life), so they wont try to pursue the friendship. (if that makes any sense...).

I have facebook, who wants to be friends?

-i think people take facebook to an extreme obsessing with their status, uploading pics, commenting, trying to get likes ect.

True, facebook has become an obsession and a distraction. For a majority of computer users It is becoming a criteria of normality. More than half of the people in every class I went to which allowed laptops had facebook on all of the time. Somehow whenever you turn on your computer and open a browser first thing you want to do is log onto facbook. I always deactivate my account when the semester begins but have it reactivated during holidays for old freinds sake.

Archived