Premed 101 Forums

coffee shop people

thehockeykid

Wondering how many people study in coffee shops? I prefer to go to coffee shops when I am not in school cause they usually have free high speed internet.

My internet bill is way too high I have been checking my internet billing and this month I have used 120GB out of the 140GB

example of how you track your internet billing

2011-06-17_0216.png

there are 3 coffee shops right beside my apartment. I practically spent all of first semester studying in a coffee shop, and last summer I studied MCAT there and wrote my med apps in coffee shops haha.

the second half of this year, I largely studied in my room or the hospital cafe... need to change it up every once in a while right? ;p

I predict I will be back at the library though this fall.

I LOVE studying at home if it's not for a prolonged period. If I'm studying for 4+ hours, I'll go to the library. But I'm only studying for a couple of hours, home is best. That way, I can do laundry at the same time, put something in the oven (now food is ready for tonight and lunch tomorrow), take a break to eat, and make a fruit smoothie or grab some V8 or nuts. That way I get some nutrition at least, rather than pumping myself with coffee. I can also listen to chill music that way without bothering anyone or trying to drown out others.

i find when i have some kind of deadline then i study at home. If i am just studying for the fun of it, i often find i am not very productive so i would go to a coffee shop or libary

btw at my local libary the internet is so slow, so during the time i am away from school i tend to go to this one coffee shop quite often to study.

I LOVE studying at home if it's not for a prolonged period. If I'm studying for 4+ hours, I'll go to the library. But I'm only studying for a couple of hours, home is best. That way, I can do laundry at the same time, put something in the oven (now food is ready for tonight and lunch tomorrow), take a break to eat, and make a fruit smoothie or grab some V8 or nuts. That way I get some nutrition at least, rather than pumping myself with coffee. I can also listen to chill music that way without bothering anyone or trying to drown out others.
Same. But at the same time, studying at home can be distracting.

i really enjoy it, but it has to have the right ambiance. i have 2 starbucks near my house and i switch between them.

the reason it works...for me...is that i just bring my books and notes with me and no technology. No phone, no computer...so it is strictly study time! If you have a registered starbucks card with a balance (even a couple cents) you can get a free refill of coffee or tea after your initial purchase. That way, I stretch my money a little further and nurse the drink for a while.

I have met some really neat people in the coffee shop. I have also 'babysat' people's children in the coffeeshop, been hit on by 91 year old men, etc. For me, it is the perfect balance. I tend to study best if I switch up my study area (sometimes study at home, sometimes at coffeeshop, NEVER at the library. Library air is too stale and there isn't good light or comfy seating!)

I'm a coffee shop studier as well. I absolutely need distraction built into studying! For me, it is quick distraction, whereas at home or other places, I seem to find myself off topic for a long time. It really is where my best studying occurs, without question.

I need some distraction/noise too when studying... I just cannot study at all in a library!! There's only 1 SB near my place (I think), and no way I could accomplish anything there. Maybe I'll try some other ones elsewhere.

I have only been able to study effectively at a library in the study rooms with others. Especially for classes like ochem because the whiteboards are really useful for study groups. I study sometimes in my office. But most of the time, I study at my bf's house. I usually need to be around other people when I study.

I actually found that I study really well to audiobooks when exercising. This is only for classes like biology/upper level chem (e.g. evolution, cell bio, proteins, enzymology, etc.), when you need to memorize things. Also, it worked great for my language course. I'll go for a jog, put on my mp3 player, and repeat the same info over and over again until I get it. If I can't find an audiobook, I'll just dictate what I want to remember into a recorder and replay it until it's in my head. And, I don't go crazy b/c I stay active. Weird, but it works great for me. I did this when studying for the MCAT as well.

I couldn't handle studying in a coffee shop, there are too many distractions. My favourite place to study is SITE or the Desmarais Builing at UOttawa. There is some background noise which is nice, but it is quiet enough to get work done. Plus you get nice views of the city from all of the windows. I also like the natural light during the day which is a lot nicer than the flourescent lights in most buildings and libraries.

I couldn't handle studying in a coffee shop' date=' there are too many distractions. My favourite place to study is SITE or the Desmarais Builing at UOttawa. There is some background noise which is nice, but it is quiet enough to get work done. Plus you get nice views of the city from all of the windows. I also like the natural light during the day which is a lot nicer than the flourescent lights in most buildings and libraries.[/quote']

I agree its a good atmosphere!

I never understood how people could study in coffee shops (unless they are literally empty). I'm quite convinced that if you put up two people head to head - one studying at home or in a library versus one studying in a coffee shop and tell them to study as best they can the material - the one studying in a quiet area would invariably win.

Oh and obviously, the study would include two people with similar intellectual capacities lol.

I actually found that I study really well to audiobooks when exercising. This is only for classes like biology/upper level chem (e.g. evolution, cell bio, proteins, enzymology, etc.), when you need to memorize things. Also, it worked great for my language course. I'll go for a jog, put on my mp3 player, and repeat the same info over and over again until I get it. If I can't find an audiobook, I'll just dictate what I want to remember into a recorder and replay it until it's in my head. And, I don't go crazy b/c I stay active. Weird, but it works great for me. I did this when studying for the MCAT as well.

Wow very cool that it works for you! I have to say that I've actively studied (repeated to myself) material during swim practices before... in the training parts that don't ask for much concentration of course! Now I do a mix of reading notes/slides and repeating things mentally. I find that the 2nd time I go through my notes I can start a new section and verbally/mentally/visually explain most of what I'm about to read. I don't think it would work while running, I need to visualize what I'm hearing so I'd probably run into a tree or something ;)

I never understood how people could study in coffee shops (unless they are literally empty). I'm quite convinced that if you put up two people head to head - one studying at home or in a library versus one studying in a coffee shop and tell them to study as best they can the material - the one studying in a quiet area would invariably win.

Oh and obviously, the study would include two people with similar intellectual capacities lol.

I'm not sure it would be so clear. Some people get more distracted when there's no distraction whatsoever around (like myself). Others do need silence to study well. Just like some are visual, others verbal, and others a mix of the 2.

Archived