Premed 101 Forums

Doctors Dating Patients

HopeToBeGreen

I was listening to a podcast of “White Coat, Black Art” from CBC radio today. They interviewed a doctor who told the following story from his residency.

He was called to the ER to see a woman with a minor fracture. He found her very attractive. He treated her fracture and arrange for her to return to clinic for follow-up care. He then went out of his way to ensure that when she came to clinic she would see him (apparently this would not have happened necessarily). At her clinic visit he completed her treatment, discharged her from care and immediately asked her for a date rationalizing that since he was no longer treating her this was allowable.

What really shocked me was that he then went on to defend his actions saying that he would consider doing the same thing again. He felt that a doctor who had a brief encounter with a patient should be allowed to date the patient after the encounter was over. He also said that he thought it might be appropriate to date family members who come to the hospital with a patient (for example a pretty daughter who brings her elderly mother to the ER).

You can listen to the interview here: http://www.cbc.ca/whitecoat/episode/2011/06/30/white-coat-black-art-in-the-summer-boundaries-part-one/

The link to the podcast is at the bottom of the page and the interview is from 11:00 to 18:45.

Apparently the college guidelines are clear that you can't date a current patient but are pretty vague about former patients.

My personal opinion is that doctors should not date patients or former patients. I would allow that if a patient has a brief encounter with a doctor (say in the ER) then they meet again months later somewhere else then it might be okay to enter a relationship. I certainly never think it would be okay to proposition a patient or former patient at a hospital or other place where you practice.

I don’t think it would be okay to date family of a current patient because of the obvious power imbalance. The other person might feel that the care of their family member depends on keeping you happy in the relationship.

I’m wondering how other feel about this issue.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was listening to a podcast of “White Coat, Black Art” from CBC radio today. They interviewed a doctor who told the following story from his residency.

He was called to the ER to see a woman with a minor fracture. He found her very attractive. He treated her fracture and arrange for her to return to clinic for follow-up care. He then went out of his way to ensure that when she came to clinic she would see him (apparently this would not have happened necessarily). At her clinic visit he completed her treatment, discharged her from care and immediately asked her for a date rationalizing that since he was no longer treating her this was allowable.

What really shocked me was that he then went on to defend his actions saying that he would consider doing the same thing again. He felt that a doctor who had a brief encounter with a patient should be allowed to date the patient after the encounter was over. He also said that he thought it might be appropriate to date family members who come to the hospital with a patient (for example a pretty daughter who brings her elderly mother to the ER).

You can listen to the interview here: http://www.cbc.ca/whitecoat/episode/2011/06/30/white-coat-black-art-in-the-summer-boundaries-part-one/

The link to the podcast is at the bottom of the page and the interview is from 11:00 to 18:45.

Apparently the college guidelines are clear that you can't date a current patient but are pretty vague about former patients.

My personal opinion is that doctors should not date patients or former patients. I would allow that if a patient has a brief encounter with a doctor (say in the ER) then they meet again months later somewhere else then it might be okay to enter a relationship. I certainly never think it would be okay to proposition a patient or former patient at a hospital or other place where you practice.

I don’t think it would be okay to date family of a current patient because of the obvious power imbalance. The other person might feel that the care of their family member depends on keeping you happy in the relationship.

I’m wondering how other feel about this issue.

Imagine a young doctor who begins practicing in a smaller, rural town. He/she would have to end up dating his/her patients...

In the past this would be a feel good story when they got married :)

Imagine a young doctor who begins practicing in a smaller, rural town. He/she would have to end up dating his/her patients...

In the past this would be a feel good story when they got married :)

We got to discuss a very similar case in small ethic groups. At the end of the discussion we came to the conclusion that if the doctor wanted to date the patient, he'd have to transfer her to another doctor (which there's not a whole lot in said small town) and also that it would be inappropriate to ask her out while at the hospital (in that case the small towns gives an advantage because of the high chances of a random encounter outside work).

But yeah that's very touchy and you have to be very careful with those kinds of situations, especially if the patient is psychatric one.

We got to discuss a very similar case in small ethic groups. At the end of the discussion we came to the conclusion that if the doctor wanted to date the patient, he'd have to transfer her to another doctor (which there's not a whole lot in said small town) and also that it would be inappropriate to ask her out while at the hospital (in that case the small towns gives an advantage because of the high chances of a random encounter outside work).

But yeah that's very touchy and you have to be very careful with those kinds of situations, especially if the patient is psychatric one.

You cannot date any psychiatric patients of yours; present OR former.

You cannot date any psychiatric patients of yours; present OR former.

You can read all about what happens to doctors who date their patients (psych or not) in Dialogue magazine, published monthly by the Royal College. Their stories are usually found at the back, in the "Disciplinary Proceedings" section. Definitely not where you want to find yourself, as a (soon-to-be-formerly) practicing physician!

Actually I believe for non psych patients to official college position is that they must be former patients and that there needs to be an appropriate waiting period prior to commencing a relationship. The appropriate period depends on the nature of the doctor patient relationship. The more involved the longer required.

So an ER doc who refills someone's OCP needs to wait much less than say an endocrinologist who looks after someones diabetes. Psych patients are always off limits as said before.

The reason there is no black and white "never date former patients rule" is because you'd end up in situations where a very isolated rural doc could never date, and ER physicians would be getting in trouble if they dated someone they saw 10 years previously for a sprain and had no memory of treating.

Actually I believe for non psych patients to official college position is that they must be former patients and that there needs to be an appropriate waiting period prior to commencing a relationship. The appropriate period depends on the nature of the doctor patient relationship. The more involved the longer required.

So an ER doc who refills someone's OCP needs to wait much less than say an endocrinologist who looks after someones diabetes. Psych patients are always off limits as said before.

The reason there is no black and white "never date former patients rule" is because you'd end up in situations where a very isolated rural doc could never date, and ER physicians would be getting in trouble if they dated someone they saw 10 years previously for a sprain and had no memory of treating.

Yeah this matches my understanding - like some one else send the only hard and fast rule is dating current or past psychiatric patients. Most of the cases where where people get in trouble actually do seem to be the psychiatric ones - probably because of the long term intimacy of patient care in those situations.

What do you mean I can't date my future patients? How the heck am I supposed to meet someone? Surely these rules don't apply if the patient is extremely attractive...:confused:

Seriously though, in general, you don't **** where you eat. That's my rule.

I once heard of a doc who was at a party and "treated" someone by re-Rxing their birth control or some other benign drug. Ten years later they hooked up and he got in trouble afterward because he had established an official patient-doctor relationship and dated her, even 10 years after.

honestly, outside of psychiatry (for obvious reasons that should be self evident) i don't see this as a faux paux at all, so im your doctor and treat your infection in the e.r., how does that create an inappropriate power relationship which might compromise the integrity of the profession, patient-doctor relationship or future relationship? the only caveat would be that you should immediately discontinue being the persons physician. if i like my endocrinologist and she's handling my diabetes i see no reason why we shouldn't be allowed to start dating after she immediately refers me to another endo, etc.

Archived