Premed 101 Forums

Where to shop for women's professional clothing?

Having rocked t-shirt and blue jeans for all but a handful of occasions in the last decade, I'm a bit stumped as to where to shop for professional clothes (suitable for clinical activities) without spending a fortune, if that's possible?

from what I gather women's dress code is blouses/dress shirts/professional sweaters (what does that mean?) and dress pants/appropriate skirts.

Can anyone recommend relatively inexpensive stores for these?

Thanks!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi!

It's not hard to have a professional wardrobe; Rickis usually has excellent sales on some classic pieces. Dress pants and skirts are very well made there.

Think of your wardrobe as something you will add to throughout the years; don't go out there and buy a whole bunch of cheap stuff (which I did in my first year); because you'll hate and abhore wearing it, and there's enough uuuuuggggh moments in med school already; so might as well find something you like to wear!

As long as it's professional, there's lots of lee-way for expressing your own style. I almost only wear skirts/dresses on the wards; and I find this to be the most comfortable for me, although it will be different with different people.

Also; you need a good pair of shoes. I find that flats place too much weight on my heels and they hurt like heck by the end of the day. Gel pads help distribute the weight; I usually rock out a low heel with gel support!

Lastly, when you're on call, wrinkle-free clothes are a God send! :) I mean, no one is going to be mad at you if you look like a wrinkly beast coming from the call room (lol, I think we all do)! :)

My professional wardrobe has about 100 pieces in it, right now, spanning 4 seasons; just keep in mind that anything you buy has to look good under a white coat; so I typically tend to avoid whites (also, I drop things on myself all the time!).

If you have a bunch of clothes that are professional but not your favorite, use them for rotations in which you may splash on yourself, but may not be in scrubs; such as obs/gyn clinic!

If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me :D

Hi!

It's not hard to have a professional wardrobe; Rickis usually has excellent sales on some classic pieces. Dress pants and skirts are very well made there.

Think of your wardrobe as something you will add to throughout the years; don't go out there and buy a whole bunch of cheap stuff (which I did in my first year); because you'll hate and abhore wearing it, and there's enough uuuuuggggh moments in med school already; so might as well find something you like to wear!

As long as it's professional, there's lots of lee-way for expressing your own style. I almost only wear skirts/dresses on the wards; and I find this to be the most comfortable for me, although it will be different with different people.

Also; you need a good pair of shoes. I find that flats place too much weight on my heels and they hurt like heck by the end of the day. Gel pads help distribute the weight; I usually rock out a low heel with gel support!

Lastly, when you're on call, wrinkle-free clothes are a God send! :) I mean, no one is going to be mad at you if you look like a wrinkly beast coming from the call room (lol, I think we all do)! :)

My professional wardrobe has about 100 pieces in it, right now, spanning 4 seasons; just keep in mind that anything you buy has to look good under a white coat; so I typically tend to avoid whites (also, I drop things on myself all the time!).

If you have a bunch of clothes that are professional but not your favorite, use them for rotations in which you may splash on yourself, but may not be in scrubs; such as obs/gyn clinic!

If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me :D

Renin, you have just become my med school/future med career fashion guru.

Any suggestions on where to find more casual pants (so basically jeans but not jeans)? I have a few pairs of dress-ish pants I bought at Smart Set last spring (first time in 30 years I've found a particular style that fits me so I bought both colors!), but that's pretty much it. I'll be living in jeans mostly for the next few years, but I will need non-jeans at times. Not many companies (at least that I find in QC) make pants for small waist - muscular thighs - long legs combo :/ They're all too tight in the legs/knees, or too short.

I've tried several stores for clothing and narrowed down to my few favourites:

Mexx - their dresses are well cut and fitted so you never have to worry about looking like a dork if you ever have to take your suit jacket off. I own several shirts and sweaters from Mexx and I love them all.

Dynamite - their stuff can be a little on the "sexy" side but I can always find great sweaters and dresses. Recently picked up a cute red dress for 40 there: http://www.dynamite.ca/ProductsDetail.aspx?pId=14792&pfId=78.

Suzy - lots of cute tops and cheap basic tanktops and tshirts for laying and such. I don't shop for dresses there though.

Le Chateau - bought my suit - pant and skirt, as well as a fabulous dress there. Their clothing fits well but tend to be a little on the higher priced side. If money is an issue, keep an eye out for their clearance sales - who doesn't love a $200 dress for $50? ;)

Naturalizer - admittedly, most of their shoes are/look like old granny shoes. The one pair of black leather pumps I got from there is the single most comfortable pair of heeled shoes I have EVER worn.

Any suggestions on where to find more casual pants (so basically jeans but not jeans)? I have a few pairs of dress-ish pants I bought at Smart Set last spring (first time in 30 years I've found a particular style that fits me so I bought both colors!), but that's pretty much it. I'll be living in jeans mostly for the next few years, but I will need non-jeans at times. Not many companies (at least that I find in QC) make pants for small waist - muscular thighs - long legs combo :/ They're all too tight in the legs/knees, or too short.

I'm kind of in your boat, except my legs are short. I have not found khakis/dress-ish to date that actually fit well. I have a pair from Jacob that are decent (but a little long) so I don't think you'll have that problem. I've noticed at Fairweather, some of the clothing fits kind of oddly and the sizes are not precise. If you have some time and patience, you might want to try some stuff out there.

In addition to those already mentioned, I also like Mark's Work Wearhouse - they have wonderful wrinkle-resistant and stain-resistant pants for women.

Northern Reflections has some nice pants too. Some of their stuff is definitely too "old" (even for me, and I'm older than most medical students), but their pants and some of their sweaters work well.

But most of my skirts and blouses are from Fairweather, Reitmans, or Smart Set.

Sale racks. It's a good way to shop at stores that are otherwise out of your price range.

Whenever I'm in the mall, I ALWAYS stop to skim through the sale rack at The Gap. Nine times out of ten, I don't find anything good, but that tenth time...sheer awesomeness.

I got a very nice looking purple professional dress there for 17 dollars, marked down from 80, and a silky purple shirt for 7, marked down from 60. I also got a couple nice skirts for 10 each, down from 60. You just have to hold out for the really good deals and not get discouraged.

Same with Banana Republic, though their sale prices are generally still somewhat high. I got my interview outfit there though - grey dress pants and a purple blouse - and I think I paid around 80 for the whole thing, which is pretty good for BR. Yes, I like purple. Guess I picked the right med school :P

I've also gotten some okay stuff at the Bay - they had a big sale this week.

Now for shoes.......:k

I'm kind of in your boat, except my legs are short. I have not found khakis/dress-ish to date that actually fit well. I have a pair from Jacob that are decent (but a little long) so I don't think you'll have that problem. I've noticed at Fairweather, some of the clothing fits kind of oddly and the sizes are not precise. If you have some time and patience, you might want to try some stuff out there.

Thank you! I don't think I've ever checked out Fairweather, adding to my list :) I like the body I have from my training, but dressing it is so hard! I pretty much can't wear any jackets or blouses that aren't stretchy because my shoulders are too wide compared to the rest of my torso. Same for dresses which usually end up too big on the bottom when they fit my shoulders. I did find 1 blouse last year at Smart Set (my goto store!) with puffy sleeves so it works but that's it. The joys (or pains) of shopping!

Thank you! I don't think I've ever checked out Fairweather, adding to my list :) I like the body I have from my training, but dressing it is so hard! I pretty much can't wear any jackets or blouses that aren't stretchy because my shoulders are too wide compared to the rest of my torso. Same for dresses which usually end up too big on the bottom when they fit my shoulders. I did find 1 blouse last year at Smart Set (my goto store!) with puffy sleeves so it works but that's it. The joys (or pains) of shopping!

Fairweather is that way because they get their clothes from various designers and so many of their things are always on sale. LOL

I have the same problems with my shoulders, though I'm not a swimmer. To top it off I also have a thick rib cage. Dress/top shopping is very difficult so I usually end up with stretchy stuff if I don't want to look like I'm wearing a box or a paper bag. I have really learned to love stuff that's 5% spandex/elastane. Shopping is therefore, very time consuming. Sadly, I think the key to well fitting clothes for people like us with strange bodies is having the time to go try a lot of things on. There really isn't one "trick" store :(

Just to add to stores already mentioned:

H&M

Zara

Winners (tons of basics like grey or beige slacks or pencil skirts)

Gap

If you visit the US:

J Crew (opening in Toronto and elsewhere in Canada soon, apparently!), Bloomingdales, Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack (awesome for shoes, especially rare sizes like <6 and >10), JCPenney, Express

I also do a fair bit of shopping on Ebay, especially for US brands

As far as what's professional:

1) on top - something with sleeves (unless you will be wearing a cardi or blazer/white coat on top, then I sometimes will even wear a tank) and not too low-cut - shouldn't be able to see cleavage when you bend over; not see-through - but if it is, I find that a simple cami underneath appears appropriate (I try to avoid ones with lacy tops, it's too risque IMO); and long enough so it doesn't expose your midriff or lower back when you bend down; nothing too evening-wear like (lace, gigantic bows, etc)

2) on the bottom - no spandex pants, no shorter than 4 fingers' width above the knee (also bend over and sit down in the skirt to ensure it doesn't expose anything), not see-through - I bought a skirt-slip for that purpose; no denim/corduroy/velour unless you see other people wear these fabrics to the workplace

3) Shoes - sensible heel, closed-toes, minimal platform

I find that you can generally get away with one trendy item if it's not revealing and the rest of your outfit is very conservative. I've worn dress shorts to my family med rotation (knee-length) without any issues, either, but they are literally a shorter version of slacks.

Oooo. The States! I have to go to CR when I go shopping in the US.

Most outlet malls have a Charlotte Russe. Great for basics like tank tops and slacks. I bought a really cute outfit for <40 bucks there: $20 black dress pants , $5 camisole and $10 cap sleeve herringbone blazer.

wow, thanks for all the great tips!!

related question: where do you guys go for comfortable work shoes (especially low heels/pumps)?

Clarks

Born

Hush Puppies

Buy them online; Try them on instore. People will berate me because this is TERRIBLE for the brick & motar merchants. Guess what. My Borns were $44 online and $140 in store. Sorry; I can use my $100 for other things.

I found my Coach tennis shoes at Winners :)

Low pumps - Clarks are excellent; I have worn out a pair of Hush Puppies, recently.

Check out the outlet malls - Mexx, Banana Republic, Jacob often have great deals

Le Chateau Outlet.

$19 blazer. Originally $195. Etc. Amazing. You need a lot of patience. And you need to be in Winnipeg (we have the liquidation outlet. MUHAHAHHAA.)

I love it. If you ever come to visit; PM me and we can go shop together.

Stores I'd be VERY careful in due to quality issues:

- Fairweather

- Suzy Shier

- Forever 21

- Dynamite

You can find a gem once in awhile. But for the most part - buyer beware.

TIGHTS ARE NOT PANTS. NYLONS ARE NOT TIGHTS.

If you use opaque tights you can get away with a LITTLE bit shorter. I've gone pretty short for skirts (A-line) and have only been told I dress very professionally, so I guess it depends on the shape of the skirt as well. I probably stay within within one handwidth of my knee. Luckily, Midi skirts are in this year (NO MAXI SKIRTS UNLESS IT IS A RELIGIOUS THING). Ugh.

And no winter boots. NO UGGS.

Random other tips:

- Don't bother w/ Cleo or Marks Work Wearhouse if you're less than a 26" waist. Everything there is cut MAMMOTHLY huge. Who knows why.

- Don't buy things in VISCOSE or RAYON. Shrink. Pill. AHHHHHH! Or acrylic sweaters. Blends w/ Viscose or Rayon in them are okay.

- If you need long pants length, Smart Set and Rickis are your friends.

- Shop sales - for the price of a Forever 21 top, I can get a Mexx top when they're on 50% off lowest price sale. Much difference in quality.

- Sign up for discounts - Le Chateau has a 15% coupon you can get if you sign up online (only applicable for online shopping).

- Keep your receipts. If you haven't worn it in 2 wks, you probably never will. Return it

- Know your return policies. Some places have brutal policies; so make sure it fits/no zippers are busted, etc, before you buy.

Other favorite store to advocate:

- RW&Co. Excellent sales (currently on 70% off lowest label price).

Enjoy,

Renin

PS: I LOVE TALKING ABOUT CLOTHES. LOL. O_o; Man I'm crazy.

Buy them online; Try them on instore.

Preach it! I do it all the time. I LOVE Express Editor pants, for example, but can't find them in Canada, so I simply get them on Ebay, there's usually a good selection. And then I can choose from more colors and lengths than in store - I generally wear a shorter length, which is not always carried in store, but that I can find on Ebay and then I save $ on hemming.

And for shoes, brands like Rockport and Clarks are pretty much guaranteed to be comfortable, so I buy them online without hesitation, even if it's a style I haven't tried on before.

And for shoes, brands like Rockport and Clarks are pretty much guaranteed to be comfortable, so I buy them online without hesitation, even if it's a style I haven't tried on before.

Second these and other comfort brands. SoftMoc carries a good selection of styles, although most shoe stores stock a few comfort models. Since I wear my shoes every day, I will invest $100 in a good pair.

However, I have had good luck finding equally comfortable shoes produced by department and discount store exclusive brands, for less (sometimes much less) than half that price on sale. They may not last longer than 2-3 years, but I'm usually up for a change by then anyway.

If you have gel insoles, I suggest bringing them with you when you try shoes on in the store, to get the correct sizing. They can convert a less well cushioned shoe into one with all-day comfort. Compression stockings are also helpful if you have to spend a long time standing in one place with your blood pooling in your legs.

Renin, you are awesome and I love all your advice.

I am a manager at work and I dress quite professionally most days. I will happily wear Lululemon on Friday after a busy week :) My go-to store to find great clothes at great prices is.... drumroll please... Value Village. You need a LOT of time to sort through the endless racks, you need to endure the weird smell, you need to be good at eyeballing if something will or won't fit you. But I have found lots of clothing that still has its original tag. I also have a 50% off card through my work, I'm not sure i would shop there as much if I didn't. Their prices aren't that good without that discount.

I'm worried about Value Village clothing ... bedbugs. Scare me.

So; what I do is... everything I buy second hand either goes into wash/dry BEFORE it comes in my house; OR into the freezer for 1 week before it gets opened. That should kill the buggers.

Archived