Premed 101 Forums

Where to shop for women's professional clothing?

If you don't mind, can you guys post some links of nice outfits/wardrobes you've seen that would be appropriate to wear for 'clinical activities'? Just to get some visuals and to help jump-start our creative fashion senses (if any lol). Thanks! By the way, I'm loving this thread!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you don't mind, can you guys post some links of nice outfits/wardrobes you've seen that would be appropriate to wear for 'clinical activities'? Just to get some visuals and to help jump-start our creative fashion senses (if any lol). Thanks! By the way, I'm loving this thread!

Rickis has a series of items worn different ways - it's fairly basic: http://www.rickis.com/content/10-items-10-ways

Just pick up any magazine for inspiration. I personally read:

- Lucky

- InStyle UK

- InStyle Canada

- LouLou

To have your own style; look at these things and decide what you like in each of their outfits! Then work them into your own closet. Don't wear exactly what they have. It's tacky and it's not you!!!

Books I enjoyed reading:

- Freakin' Fabulous (Clinton Kelly)

- Style Strategy (Nina Garcia)

- What You Wear Can Change Your Life (BBC)

And of course, you should watch:

- TLC's What Not To Wear :D

Just to add to stores already mentioned:

As far as what's professional:

1) on top - something with sleeves (unless you will be wearing a cardi or blazer/white coat on top, then I sometimes will even wear a tank) and not too low-cut - shouldn't be able to see cleavage when you bend over; not see-through - but if it is, I find that a simple cami underneath appears appropriate (I try to avoid ones with lacy tops, it's too risque IMO); and long enough so it doesn't expose your midriff or lower back when you bend down; nothing too evening-wear like (lace, gigantic bows, etc)

Do hospitals have policies for not allowing short sleeve tops? I've seen a few doctors wearing these w/o a white coat.

Thanks!

Do hospitals have policies for not allowing short sleeve tops? I've seen a few doctors wearing these w/o a white coat.

Thanks!

Policies vary a lot around different hospitals I think. Last time I saw my ortho at the clinic he was wearing flip flops with a white polo shirt, and one of the residents had jeans on with a polo shirt. Same for a female resident who had on capris and a short sleeve top. I'm guessing as a med student you want to be more careful though.

i know im a guy but if you can get into zara during a 50 percent off sale you'll get a good portion, i got all the professional clothing i'll need for the next 8 years for 500 bucks, which sounds like a lot, until you realize you won't have to buy anything dressy for a long long time

Buy them online; Try them on instore. People will berate me because this is TERRIBLE for the brick & motar merchants. Guess what. My Borns were $44 online and $140 in store. Sorry; I can use my $100 for other things.
This.

And of course, you should watch:

- TLC's What Not To Wear :D

This too.

Dear Renin.

Please be my personal shopper.

Sincerely,

Kid

Renin, I agree with you 100%! You are for sure the fashion guru of pm101! If you ever come to TO... or if I ever come over there, I would love to have your fashion advice! :D

Another word of advice: get clothes that FIT. Not clothes that you can just squeeze into to say you're a size smaller than what you are. Clothes that are your size. Size is just a number and hell, most stores are so different sizing-wise from others, you can't necessarily say you're a size 2 or a size 20 because of that one store you went into that one time. Heck, in the same store (in different styles) your size can jump around. For me and jeans, in certain stores/styles I'm a size 2. In other styles (in the same store) I'd have to go up a few sizes to accomodate my more-than-ample-sized booty (and still other styles, I'd never fit into for the very same reason). By the same token, don't buy clothes that are too big- it makes you look larger than you are... or that you're swimming in your clothes. Women (and men) of all sizes and shapes can look good in what they wear. It's all about finding what you like, what suits you, and what fits. Also, if you aren't the skirt wearing type, don't go buy 5 skirts just because it's "professional". If you aren't comfortable wearing something, it shows. And you'll be less likely to wear it. Wear something you can be condfident in! Confidence is key:)

Renin, I agree with you 100%! You are for sure the fashion guru of pm101! If you ever come to TO... or if I ever come over there, I would love to have your fashion advice! :D

Another word of advice: get clothes that FIT. Not clothes that you can just squeeze into to say you're a size smaller than what you are. Clothes that are your size. Size is just a number and hell, most stores are so different sizing-wise from others, you can't necessarily say you're a size 2 or a size 20 because of that one store you went into that one time. Heck, in the same store (in different styles) your size can jump around. For me and jeans, in certain stores/styles I'm a size 2. In other styles (in the same store) I'd have to go up a few sizes to accomodate my more-than-ample-sized booty (and still other styles, I'd never fit into for the very same reason). By the same token, don't buy clothes that are too big- it makes you look larger than you are... or that you're swimming in your clothes. Women (and men) of all sizes and shapes can look good in what they wear. It's all about finding what you like, what suits you, and what fits. Also, if you aren't the skirt wearing type, don't go buy 5 skirts just because it's "professional". If you aren't comfortable wearing something, it shows. And you'll be less likely to wear it. Wear something you can be condfident in! Confidence is key:)

So true!! Clothes you don't really like or that just don't fit you perfectly always end up staying on their hangers and gathering dust. Waste of money!

Dress Pants- Suzy has the best. I bought three last year in different colors (black, grey, beige) and that was an amazing investment of 15 dollars each. They were on sale at the time, but at that store they are always on sale. These pants have gone through many washing cycles and they still look amazing. They last longer than the BEBE dress pants that I had.

Most of my clothes I buy either at Warehouse sales or across the border. Its worth the drive when you enter Century 21 or Macy Warehouse. They are all amazing and great prices.

http://www.extrapetite.com/search/label/Outfits%20-%20Work

http://petiteearlymorningstyle.blogspot.com/

according to those pictures, I severely underdressed for clinic/wards yesterday. :(

Oh no LL, I just posted those for creative inspiration (proportions, layering, colours, etc.) while remaining conservative enough for work. I think EP works in a formal business environment. If you wore that as a medical student/resident, I think you would stand out a bit as overdressed for the hospital environment. I do prefer to err on the side of more formal than casual at work (except when I say to heck with it and just grab scrubs), but try not to give the impression that I spend too much time getting dressed (which I don't - my work clothes are just more formal).

I got a decent pair of flats at Aldo today, so hopefully that will be enough to get me started. Comfy flats are hard to find and I think these will need to be broken in some.

My beef with Aldo shoes - by the time I break them in and they are comfortable, they are falling apart! Some of them NEVER break in. Buy shoes that are comfortable from wear #1. Like Clarks. Or Borns. :)

Please be my personal shopper.

I do private consultation.

You just got me inspired to start thinking more about professional clothes in a fun way (and shopping wisely)

YAY!!!!!! I am super happy to hear this - it is so important to have fun and professional on the wards; otherwise it's so boring if everyone wears bleh stuff! Jazzing up one ward at a time!!!

Another word of advice: get clothes that FIT.

Rah Rah! Totally true! I am a size 8-10 in vintage or UK sizes; and about a size 00 at other stores! It's pretty funny, actually! Trust how it feels/looks on your body. If you are buying skirts, make sure that you buy some skirt-friendly tops too! I usually wear these TO buy skirts, to make sure that they work!

Dress Pants- Suzy has the best.

I had the polyester of mine break down. Having 1,000,000 little polyester needles poking you in the thigh and crotch = UNHAPPY RENIN.

That Extra Petite lady is extra stylish. I wish I could crib her fashion sense... for about a third of what that stuff must have cost. Whew!

She wears like $500-$1000 pumps. Make your own red-soled shoes. Now that loubouton doesn't have the copyright on them, I just paint the bottom of my shoes with nail polish. you won't tell, right? :)

Also, you will notice that her clothes fit her very well. Invest in good quality pieces and make friends with a tailor! For extra money, you can get clothes that fit that well too! I'm poor and don't wanna pay the tailor, so I look for pieces that fit me very well - while that store has that particular measurements for a particular size that season, I buy almost EVERYTHING up that works for me. Otherwise who knows what will be in next season. Cone boobs or something.

If you wore that as a medical student/resident, I think you would stand out a bit as overdressed for the hospital environment.

You'd be better dressed than the psychiatrists and the dermatologists! :) A lot of her outfits totally work, but dress them down! Pearls make everything look more dressy, so don't pair so many "dressy" elements together: lace + fitted skirt + pearls + ribbons + heels = ahhhhhhh!!!! You could go with something like the same top + wide-leg pants + heels + pearls; so you're feminine, but not like a lace factory exploded on your chest.

:)

I suddenly feel inspired to shop today.

As Renin knows, I am RW&CO and Jacob brand loyal. I find their clothes fit me really well (I must be shaped like their fit model), but I also hit up Banana Republic and H&M sometimes.

As far as shoes go, for me, it's Nine West or nothing.

I suddenly feel inspired to shop today.

As Renin knows, I am RW&CO and Jacob brand loyal. I find their clothes fit me really well (I must be shaped like their fit model), but I also hit up Banana Republic and H&M sometimes.

As far as shoes go, for me, it's Nine West or nothing.

LOL; I tried on a pair of Nine West once. Then I mused it must be nice to be rich. And hit up Winners. ;)

LOL; I tried on a pair of Nine West once. Then I mused it must be nice to be rich. And hit up Winners. ;)

They are pretty cheap in the US/online. I find that shoes are generally outrageously priced in Canada. The styles that are sold here for $110+ are $60 in the US. I checked out some sales just yesterday and laughed at the "$79.99! Final Clearance!" tags all the way to Ebay.

They are pretty cheap in the US/online. I find that shoes are generally outrageously priced in Canada. The styles that are sold here for $110+ are $60 in the US. I checked out some sales just yesterday and laughed at the "$79.99! Final Clearance!" tags all the way to Ebay.

Seriously, Jochi, if it wasn't for eBay, I'd wear like flip flops all year :) I am also jealous of your H&M. There is this tweed sweater-blazer with elbow protector thingys. I want it. Now.

I may have to come visit you.

Seriously, Jochi, if it wasn't for eBay, I'd wear like flip flops all year :) I am also jealous of your H&M. There is this tweed sweater-blazer with elbow protector thingys. I want it. Now.

I may have to come visit you.

!!!!! I want it, too! I searched for it at West Ed earlier this week and they didn't have it!

!!!!! I want it, too! I searched for it at West Ed earlier this week and they didn't have it!

I KNOW! Is it not absolutely FABTABULOUS? Man; it is totally awesome! I may have to mod something else.

BTW: It's nearly impossible to buy 1 spool of red thread. ALL I NEED is 1 roll. They don't have it at Walmart. You can buy it in a package. I am thinking of using white thread + red sharpie. Ugh.

Archived