Premed 101 Forums

Where to shop for women's professional clothing?

There's nothing like spam to bump an old thread. But I'm not complaining because I just got to read so much good advice that I might not have found otherwise!

I have a question about hosiery. Do you ladies were it? If you do, do you wear nude hose or only coloured (black, blue, navy)? When (what weather/seasons) can you get away without wearing it, if ever?

I'm also wondering what you wear on your feet with heels and pants. Do you wear dress socks, socks made of (nude) hose or go "commando"? I'd much prefer to wear something (especially in winter) between my feet and my shoes but I don't want my shoes falling off if my hose makes my feet too slippery!

Any advice is much appreciated!

I usually wear nude hosiery, but occasionally black. You can definitely get away without wearing it in the summer. For winter wear, I have a darker flesh tone pair of tights that I wear underneath skirts AND pants it is very thick and keeps me warm! :)

I haven't really had any problems with slipping out of heels because of pantyhoses but you can also buy grippy ones from shapings.com, I haven't tried them myself yet but I've seen them a few times online.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just checked out the new Forever 21 last week and it was overwhelming! There is just so much stuff, and I don't really understand how they have it all organized. And it's 2 floors! If you take the time to look around though the prices seemed alright.

I've read that the store is organized by theme/look. Love 21 on the second floor has slightly more mature styles (some fitted blazers).

I've read that the store is organized by theme/look. Love 21 on the second floor has slightly more mature styles (some fitted blazers).

Yup it seems to be organized more by trends. However since I'm not usually looking for anything of a particular style - more likely a specific article of clothing - I wish they would just stick all the shorts in one section, pants in another, etc. :P Also I kept seeing cute t-shirts (I would like the colour/design on the front), but they were all crop tops ... I guess I could wear a long tank underneath, but I was hoping for more "normal" t-shirts haha. Crop tops are in, I guess.

I have a question about hosiery. Do you ladies were it? If you do, do you wear nude hose or only coloured (black, blue, navy)? When (what weather/seasons) can you get away without wearing it, if ever?

I'm also wondering what you wear on your feet with heels and pants. Do you wear dress socks, socks made of (nude) hose or go "commando"? I'd much prefer to wear something (especially in winter) between my feet and my shoes but I don't want my shoes falling off if my hose makes my feet too slippery!

I wear nude hose in warm weather and black tights in cool weather with skirts. I feel more professional with hose, but often see others with bare legs in warm weather.

With pants, I wear dress socks, nude hosiery, or nothing at all, depending on the temperature. In winter, I'd be wearing dress socks, and more likely boots instead of shoes. Hose does make the foot a bit more slippery but I haven't had any problems with slippage either. The mary jane strap likely helps as well.

Losing and gaining weight like a yoyo is really hard on the closet, too.

Do you find it hard to eat a well-balanced diet and maintain a decent exercise routine while in med school? I'm just curious as to whether I should get better at eating on the go and/or shortening my workout routine.

Thanks!

Yes! When med schools say that time management is an important skill to have, they were not kidding.

I think it has come down to studying smart, exercising smart, and eating smart (least amount of time for greatest yield). I do my best to shop at the end of the week and prep food on the weekend for the upcoming week (fortunately i don't mind eating the same thing over and over), and in terms of exercise I went from a nearly hour long workout to 30 minutes but high intensity intervals. It helps to have a 24h gym in your building; alternatively I sometimes use an exercise video so I don't even have to leave my home.

I haven't fluctuated weight (and hit the high numbers) this frequently in the last 5 years. The issue is that you spend a lot of pre-clerkship sitting for long hours in lectures, followed by long hours sitting and studying. You have to eat in there somewhere...and if you did not bring enough food from home you're apt to buy crap at school...and if you aren't organized enough then you're apt to buy crap on the way home for dinner...and if you fall behind in your work you put studying ahead of exercise. Vicious circle. Beware!

Nevertheless, you'll survive. My biggest suggestion is don't throw away your 'bigger' clothes right now, in case you fluctuate. My wardrobe is limited right now because I only fit into a few straggling large pieces, and I am very resistant to buy more clothes that I don't intend to wear. I want to shrink down and be able to wear the 80% of items awaiting me. Just a few more lbs :)

/thread jack

So....those stockings! Yea, I am not a fan. If I have to wear a dress or skirt, I tend to wear more opaque ones. In shoes, I wear socks and sometimes kneehighs (usually black, sometimes patterned, because I like them to be funky).

Do you find it hard to eat a well-balanced diet and maintain a decent exercise routine while in med school? I'm just curious as to whether I should get better at eating on the go and/or shortening my workout routine.

Thanks!

It's my medication mainly. I go to the gym 3x per week and eat very healthily as per my dietician, but my weight changes around when my medication does. Now that I am partway off a medication that is notorious for weight gain, I've dropped at least 15 pounds since Christmas without really changing my diet at all.

The medical school part doesn't really cause a problem for me, though I foresee that there might be more of a problem in clerkship.

Thanks!

You're trying for Calgary, no? Just do crossfit with ILuvCrossfit and me if you get in/decide to go there. 20mins a day and you're golden! ;)

It's my medication mainly. I go to the gym 3x per week and eat very healthily as per my dietician, but my weight changes around when my medication does. Now that I am partway off a medication that is notorious for weight gain, I've dropped at least 15 pounds since Christmas without really changing my diet at all.

The medical school part doesn't really cause a problem for me, though I foresee that there might be more of a problem in clerkship.

I find med weight SO hard to drop; like about 3 mths after I d/c the med; I still am carrying some, even though I've lost the weight in lbs. GAH.

I wear nude hose in warm weather and black tights in cool weather with skirts. I feel more professional with hose, but often see others with bare legs in warm weather.

With pants, I wear dress socks, nude hosiery, or nothing at all, depending on the temperature. In winter, I'd be wearing dress socks, and more likely boots instead of shoes. Hose does make the foot a bit more slippery but I haven't had any problems with slippage either. The mary jane strap likely helps as well.

AHH! No bare legs. O_O; no, no, no, no.... gahhhhh!

*professional wardrobe mind explodes*

/thread jack

Total thread jack, I apologize!

You're trying for Calgary, no? Just do crossfit with ILuvCrossfit and me if you get in/decide to go there. 20mins a day and you're golden! ;)

Thanks for the offer! I'll most definitely have to take you up on that if I get in :D

I find med weight SO hard to drop; like about 3 mths after I d/c the med; I still am carrying some, even though I've lost the weight in lbs. GAH.

Medication weight is the worst - it's so inexorable. I'm just now getting rid of some of the leavings from a medication that I d'ced over a year ago :mad:

Today I picked up this trench coat in graphite grey at about 40% off - it has the nicest pink lining. Now I've got a coat and shoes that look semi-professional - if only I could wear that to clinic! http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=894094

I am still having a hard time understanding what kinds of things are okay to wear to the hospital. As a 2015, at this point nobody cares too much that I only have 1-2 outfits but if I'm doing week long placements this summer, I have to step it up or everyone will think I only own one set of clothes (and they'd be right) :eek: Just don't know where to start.

url]I am still having a hard time understanding what kinds of things are okay to wear to the hospital.

As the saying goes - nothing too short, low, or tight. Bright is ok.

Guide to dressing when it's pitch dark and you're late for rounds:

Pile 1: sweaters/shirts/blouses

Pile 2: pants/skirts

All either warm or cool colours, whichever works best for your complexion. You should be able to mix and match from pile 1 and pile 2 to create multiple outfits. Not the most creative or exciting, but saves one from having to think too much, and can be jazzed up with accessories.

Medication weight is the worst - it's so inexorable. I'm just now getting rid of some of the leavings from a medication that I d'ced over a year ago :mad:

Today I picked up this trench coat in graphite grey at about 40% off - it has the nicest pink lining. Now I've got a coat and shoes that look semi-professional - if only I could wear that to clinic! http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=894094

I am still having a hard time understanding what kinds of things are okay to wear to the hospital. As a 2015, at this point nobody cares too much that I only have 1-2 outfits but if I'm doing week long placements this summer, I have to step it up or everyone will think I only own one set of clothes (and they'd be right) :eek: Just don't know where to start.

I had exactly 1 work outfit before I started clerkship; don't worry (it was a black shirt and grey pants). I dearly hope no one in my class remembers it.

Your coat sounds really cute - I love jackets that have cute linings :)

As the saying goes - nothing too short, low, or tight. Bright is ok.

Guide to dressing when it's pitch dark and you're late for rounds:

Pile 1: sweaters/shirts/blouses

Pile 2: pants/skirts

All either warm or cool colours, whichever works best for your complexion. You should be able to mix and match from pile 1 and pile 2 to create multiple outfits. Not the most creative or exciting, but saves one from having to think too much, and can be jazzed up with accessories.

I love the pile idea - unfortunately, I fuss a bit about what top goes with which bottom. Right now, my closet is sorted into ...

A: Dresses

B: Short cardigans

C: Long cardigans

D: Blazers

E: Accessory wall

F: Tights

G: Shoes

Pick one from A; one from B-D; one or two from E; F then G and out the door! :D

ETA: Maybe I should make "Starting a Professional Wardrobe" a future blog post. Hmm.

Ooo good question, I want to know this too! Do you match them to your skirt or your shoes? Or both?

O_o; WHAAAAA?

Tights - I usually match my shoes. Or you could match your skirt. But make sure it doesn't clash with your shoes.

Hoisery - match your LEGS. Please. :)

If you made that a blog post, I would be endlessly happy. I went shopping yesterday and totally struck out.

I will put it on my To Do list...

Like a 10 basic pieces you should have?

How to look like you spent more than 5 minutes dressing yourself?

What to buy to jazz up what you have?

Starting from 0?

How/where to shop?

You are a goddess among medical students, Renin. Would you believe I have literally never worn a pair of tights in my life? At least not since ballet class when I was 6 years old :P

On the bright side, I discovered that some of my old work appropriate clothes that I thought would never fit me again now do. Win.

You are a goddess among medical students, Renin. Would you believe I have literally never worn a pair of tights in my life? At least not since ballet class when I was 6 years old :P

On the bright side, I discovered that some of my old work appropriate clothes that I thought would never fit me again now do. Win.

Sweet. It's always nice when old stuff fits. Now you know your size :P Go shopping. Haha.

Mmm; tights aren't for everyone. I wear them a lot because I only wear dresses and skirts; I guess. And I also hate the look of a bare leg in the professional environment.

Archived