Premed 101 Forums

Backup to Med School

suziep100

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The average for a student applying to med is substantially higher than the overall average student. There's no way the average GPA in a university is 3.6.

Well... you know what I mean. It's all relative right?

3.6 may be considered to be a very good grade in your undergrad course, but compared to med/dent applicants, it could be low-avg side.

Well... you know what I mean. It's all relative right?

3.6 may be considered to be a very good grade in your undergrad course, but compared to med/dent applicants, it could be low-avg side.

Not really.

You're asking a question based on people not getting into med school, does that mean they were average for a medical school application, or average for a university student?

I'm not being rude, just trying to clarify which road you're going down.

Not really.

You're asking a question based on people not getting into med school, does that mean they were average for a medical school application, or average for a university student?

I'm not being rude, just trying to clarify which road you're going down.

I think you are being stupid

Im going to keep re-applying.I want to be an ER doc in a small/rural town. I know what my faults are so I know I can kill it these next two years (such an easy fix I am a retard for not fixing it before).

I digress, if I REALLY HAD TO it'd be an Audiology masters cause I produce electronic music and I am really interested in the math behind sound, and working with human hearing seems like a nice fit.

Fletcher Munson curves, yo.

Put your hands up to the premed backup plan anthem!

No but in all seriousness, my career plan goes like this Med school (if that fails) -> pharmacy (if that fails) -> masters (after finishing i apply again to) -> med school (if that fails) -> pharmacy (if that fails) -> pHD

I would love to teach physics and calculus at a high school level but the public school system is over saturated with teachers so while it is in the back of my mind, I don't think I want to take my life in that direction.

The "hierarchy" goes this way:

CanMed>USMed>Dent>Pharm>Opt>OT/PT>Academia/Teachers College

Maybe insert the Caribbean route if one is super desperate/stupid. Now I'm not saying that everyone in the above professions wanted to be a doctor. I'm sure there are people who really want to be an optometrist or a pharmacist, but a significant number of people in these programs are just people who couldn't get into MD.

BTW every single bio teacher in my high school started off undergrad wanting to be a doctor. My gr 12 bio teacher was very bitter about it too. Hated her job (she was only in her late 20s), first day of class she asks "Who here wants to be a doctor?" More than half the class raises their hand. She quips back "Statistically none of you will." (which I find is slightly ridiculous given that we were an IB class and 5/35 kids got into Mac HS.

Archived