Premed 101 Forums

Backup to Med School

suziep100

I don't have a back up. I'm focusing on med with all I've got. If it becomes obvious that I will never get accepted into med school, I will explore options at that point. It's not that I haven't given the "what ifs" a thought, it's just that I can't come up with anything reasonable that I'd like to do except med, so I'm not wasting studytime exploring other options. Kind of ironic that I'm wasting O Chem study time to post this LOL

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't have a back up. I'm focusing on med with all I've got. If it becomes obvious that I will never get accepted into med school, I will explore options at that point. It's not that I haven't given the "what ifs" a thought, it's just that I can't come up with anything reasonable that I'd like to do except med, so I'm not wasting studytime exploring other options. Kind of ironic that I'm wasting O Chem study time to post this LOL

The problem there can be you not having taken the requisite courses for whatever your last minute 'back up' becomes, at which point those words become meaningless.

does anything require more pre-reqs than med school?

if he gets a high average in o-chem, chem, bio, calc etc.

what could he possibly be missing?

his backup is probably going to be PA or pharm or physio or something

well pharm needs physical chem at uoft ;) lolzz

Does anyone know anything about become a biology professor with a PhD but not running a lab?

You mean a lecturer? They are not well paid and job security is a big problem. I saw advertisements for lecturer at UT where your income is ~7500 per half course, and usually you won't be teaching that many courses, so in the end you really make very little just by lecturing. Also a lot of times they are just contractual fill-in for prof on sabbatical. Long term position is hard to come by for a lecturer.

The problem there can be you not having taken the requisite courses for whatever your last minute 'back up' becomes, at which point those words become meaningless.

I hear you, but when you don't have a clue what your back up may be, random pre-reqs are of little help. I've had many awesome life experiences because I just "rolled with it", things that add to my character and will benefit me as a future doctor.... or a mechanic (LOL). I believe in the whole "connect the dots" quote that has been so popular since Steve Jobs passed. It's the journey, not the destination and I will make a positive difference in this world whether I make to med or not.

• 4 weeks later...

Pharmacy backup: don't get me wrong, I wan't to be a doctor, but for pragmatic purposes people have to keep their options open. So, I was wondering since the pharmacy applications go through OUAC, and the universities are centralized through that organization, is there any way the Ontario med schools I'm applying to can find out that I'm also applying to pharmacy schools and frown upon this (even though my first choice would be med)?

You mean a lecturer? They are not well paid and job security is a big problem. I saw advertisements for lecturer at UT where your income is ~7500 per half course, and usually you won't be teaching that many courses, so in the end you really make very little just by lecturing. Also a lot of times they are just contractual fill-in for prof on sabbatical. Long term position is hard to come by for a lecturer.

none of the professors at york (lecturers included) have an income of less than 100K... I'm pretty sure it can't be that low at a prestigious university like UT... and they teach 3-4 courses which is A LOT of work.... some of the profs do research in biology education and end up becoming the undergrad program director, graduate chair etc and the income for these positions are A LOT higher (graduate chair of bio at york has a salary of >200K)...

if you're wondering where I'm getting these numbers, someone on this forum posted a thread on professors income...

none of the professors at york (lecturers included) have an income of less than 100K... I'm pretty sure it can't be that low at a prestigious university like UT... and they teach 3-4 courses which is A LOT of work.... some of the profs do research in biology education and end up becoming the undergrad program director, graduate chair etc and the income for these positions are A LOT higher (graduate chair of bio at york has a salary of >200K)...

if you're wondering where I'm getting these numbers, someone on this forum posted a thread on professors income...

I don't know where people are getting these numbers for lecturers but my cousin is a lecturer at McGill and it does not pay well. It is 7 500$ per course if you just teach one course but if you teach 3+, you are usually considered a "faculty lecturer" and salary is around 50k/year. It's not much, and your contract has to be renewed annually.

I don't know where people are getting these numbers for lecturers but my cousin is a lecturer at McGill and it does not pay well. It is 7 500$ per course if you just teach one course but if you teach 3+, you are usually considered a "faculty lecturer" and salary is around 50k/year. It's not much, and your contract has to be renewed annually.

I would tend to side with you. I actually have no clue how much lecturers make but there's was a Maclean's article a couple years back that presented pitifully poor numbers for those that had to go on contract.

Um...tons get less than 100 K. Look up the salary disclosure report, it lists all the profs that make 100K+. There are plenty profs from my dept that are not listed.

double quote for one question:

Why wouldnt someone become a high school teacher then? At least in Ontario.

Engineering, ftw. Work hard and don't overload with too many electives or specialize in something difficult and you should be fine. A basic course load should be FCL or just over full (some people do 6), which will qualify you for most, if not all weighting formulas.

And the most important part of it, it is a GOOD fall back. Especially petrochemicals, fuels & energy, and no I'm definitely not a chemical engineering putting a sales pitch for my department. :rolleyes: Definitely not!

Lecturers who have attained professorship usually make over 100k. Post-Docs lecturers (who have not attained professorship) usually make around 40k at UofT.

Get an MBA an go work for a pharma company - you'll be making 6 figures within 3-4 years.

I do a significant amount of consulting for 3 pharma companies and this is quite true. If they're more than willing to pay me what I am being paid (though I don't accept less than what I know my value, experience and results are worth) then I know their top managers are doing quite well.

masters in psychometrics (ma) plus a jd = money in the bank, doing consulting on how to get people to score well (what the judge wants to see) on the mmpi and all sorts of other tests now routinely used in court (sometimes in custody cases etc. or in job selection... there's a bunch of creative combinations you can put together if you're thoughtful enough... search engine optimization is also really hot

You're not going to make much doing SEO, though. Every computer type business has SEO people. There is a demand for it, but the market is saturated with people with the skills that there isn't an opportunity to rake in a giant pay cheque- too much competition.

seriously don't understand why medicine = money, prestige, lifestyle at this point.

work in the financial industry, **** over some people, collect untold amounts in bonuses, live on bridal path and roll around in a different sports car every day.

Same things a med gunner would aspire to do, except he would only get to the stage of ****ing others over, and look at a fraction of what the finance guy makes.

I looked at the requirement for MBA programs and they want 2-3 years of work experience... so thats not really a backup since you can't do it right after undergrad.

Sorry, yes you are correct. I think Windsor doesn't require any work experience though.

Also you don't actually need to get an MBA to work for a pharma company - I know plenty of people who got jobs with a life/health science degree that went to work for those types of companies or in to health care consulting and are doing very well (most of my friends after 5 years are all making comfortably over $100k).

seriously don't understand why medicine = money, prestige, lifestyle at this point.

work in the financial industry, **** over some people, collect untold amounts in bonuses, live on bridal path and roll around in a different sports car every day.

Same things a med gunner would aspire to do, except he would only get to the stage of ****ing others over, and look at a fraction of what the finance guy makes.

If it was easy a lot more people would be at the top. Unfortunately more people in that area (who thought they'd be rolling in a different sports car daily) will drive hour long commutes in toyotas only to make an average income doing a job they hate.

If it was easy a lot more people would be at the top. Unfortunately more people in that area (who thought they'd be rolling in a different sports car daily) will drive hour long commutes in toyotas only to make an average income doing a job they hate.

I don't know where you got the idea that medicine is the best, most prestigious, most profitable profession in the world but you really need to stop slagging other professions that you HAVE NEVER WORKED IN. It's great that you like to put medicine on this pedalstal, and worship it as the be all and end all of making a comfortable living. We get it, you love med but there's no need to paint every other profession as "poor", "average", or just plain ****ty.

Really, you can stop trolling now. There are many people in the world who find fullfillment and satisfaction in making money in some field other than medicine.....and they're also good at not being a douchebag about it.

Archived