Premed 101 Forums

Backup to Med School

suziep100

What are you guys planning to have as a back-up plan?

I'm graduating next April, and I'm kind of sacred as to what I'll have to do if things turn out real bad for me and I don't get any acceptances.

Anyone here applying to similar professinoal schools, like dental, pharm, graduate schools, law schools etc...? Or what do you do?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off...it isn't turning out 'real bad' if you don't get any acceptances! don't set yourself up for fear of failure NOW. You've put in your application(s) and the rest of the process is out of your hands. As long as you've given it your best shot and you've done reasonably, you should be fine.

I've done numerous things post-undergrad...year off, Master's, now working on second undergrad in another professional area, and continued involvement in extracurriculars that I really enjoy. For all you know, you'll be married in a year's time, or have a kid, or decide you don't want to go to med school. Just keep your options open and your expectations realistic. LIVE YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!

What do people mean when they say "travel?" I see it on this board every time this question comes up. A year long vacation is going to be $$$$

Unless I'm grossly mistaken.

If you get a visa, generally you can work while travelling in a country (depending on the country of course). One of my friends is currently on a trip to New Zealand (ok she's not trying for med, but still) and is doing a mix of travelling and odd jobs here and there to make money to continue to travel while she's there.

How about being an entrepreneur and starting a little business in the meantime? Nobody ever suggests that...makes me think that doctor types are afraid to trailblaze but are good at being passive followers.

So true. And who the hell has $1000s to blow just travelling. Get a job make money so you dont cry about debt

as through your post i got that you did not get acceptance from any coll.i would like to suggest you that join some activities in which you have interest...or to do some jobor volunteership in any hospital if you have interest.you can have many options...you just have to research about that...

smart bot. :P

you could just work and travel, i hear traveling is funner than school ;)

i got offered a job from the fed gov b4 i got in, so you could apply for jobs, work, apply for meds again, then just quit if you get in the next year

i think option number one's more exciting though, so much so that i didn't take the job with the gov b4 I even got in med (got in off wl after the offer).

Another option is to apply for study abroad scholarships now (I got one for Netherlands in my fourth year for the year I started first year med), and not apply to have your degree conferred to you until you've got your acceptance (don't worry, I officially got my undergrad degree way after I finished my coursework (~courses are usually valid 6-7 years after you've taken them)) that way you can do a fifth year in another country, with the tuition paid for if you don't get in, and if you do get in, just turn down the scholarship.

What are you guys planning to have as a back-up plan?

I'm graduating next April, and I'm kind of sacred as to what I'll have to do if things turn out real bad for me and I don't get any acceptances.

Anyone here applying to similar professinoal schools, like dental, pharm, graduate schools, law schools etc...? Or what do you do?

Well I more meant getting a visa, working a coffeeshop/server job, and living in a country for a year, places like australia/nz etc.

I agree on number 2, but if you like research and are in no hurry, it'd be cool to get a masters. Don't forget that there are other applied master's programs too: PT, OT, counselling, clin psych, social work, MBA etc.

I agree on point number three completely, a lot are passive followers who are on automaton mode from age eighteen or younger. There's other "entrepreneurial" things you can do too, write a book, start a band, college pro painters or something similar could make you some sweet cash. If you got to social networking events you'll find a lot of people who are interested in your talent, whatever that may be, and will want to get in on group ventures. Maybe try and get a job, apply for a mortgage, and manage the property to have someone else pay for your mortgage, my buddy started doing this at 18 by selling himself to investors and offering a portion of the profit... he's made some sweet cash off of it.

They mean travel the world: that's because money is no object to them. The majority of successful med applicants come from upper-middle class to purely upper-class families. Travelling is just something they do.

Don't get a grad degree like a master's or PhD unless you really enjoy research. It's a boring slog and it won't help you after you get admitted to medical school.

How about being an entrepreneur and starting a little business in the meantime? Nobody ever suggests that...makes me think that doctor types are afraid to trailblaze but are good at being passive followers.

totally! my other friend dropped out of u of t meds after 2 years, got an MPH, and now makes big cash promoting safe sex and STD testing for the provine, as well as running an STD clinic.

I would encourage those to try for an MPH. There is ample opportunity to publish while doing an MPH degree and it's actually a useful masters degree. It will also help you in med school and beyond.

They mean travel the world: that's because money is no object to them. The majority of successful med applicants come from upper-middle class to purely upper-class families. Travelling is just something they do.

Don't get a grad degree like a master's or PhD unless you really enjoy research. It's a boring slog and it won't help you after you get admitted to medical school.

Yea, if you want to travel to Europe or somewhere expensive. There's plenty of places that you can get by for ridiculously cheap. Work a few months, save your money, and you'll have plenty to get by.

• 11 months later...

I'm in my 3rd year and like the billion other people, trying to become a doctor. I honestly don't have a backup plan, i know you can do research but after working in a lab for the past 3 years i'm really not looking to do that for my whole life.

What are some of your backup careers to medicine??

I'm in my 3rd year and like the billion other people, trying to become a doctor. I honestly don't have a backup plan, i know you can do research but after working in a lab for the past 3 years i'm really not looking to do that for my whole life.

Depends on your degree.. But you could go for dentistry, pharmacy, optometry... whatever.

This is such a vague question to ask. Technically any career is a back-up if you are qualified. This largely depends on your undergrad major. An arts major would are have different back-up career than a science major. This is largely dependant on what you may enjoy as a possible back-up career as well. For me, I am in engineering specifically to use that degree as a backup just in case medicine does not work out. I know friends who plan on becoming teachers, others want to get a doctorate and become a researcher, and some want to start their own businesses. If you still want a career in the medical field, you can try optometry or physiotherapy as an option however this will require further education not to mention meeting specific enty requirements. In preparation for a career in medicine it is important that you search for back-up careers just in case it doesn't work out. Although it is nice to soley focus on medicine, in reality if medicine does not work out you need a back-up.

Regards,

ABS

Law or the Military

Be sure that you know exactly what you are getting into before you join the military. Unlike every other job in the world (save for perhaps residency) once you sign up they own your ass until they say you are finished.

Also consider that you will most likely be deployed into a moneymonger's war. Whether you think the justice of that is questionable or not could paint your opinion of joining the military with a different color.

It really is quite lopsided... many people who are smarter than current doctors and put in equal work but for whatever reasons didnt get in... will make 20% of what those same doctors make.

"smarter" doesn't mean better. Getting good grades doesn't mean you have good people skills just like having good people skills doesn't necessarily predict good grades. If getting into medicine just depended on smarts they would just take the top X GPAs to fill X number of seats... right?

"smarter" doesn't mean better. Getting good grades doesn't mean you have good people skills just like having good people skills doesn't necessarily predict good grades. If getting into medicine just depended on smarts they would just take the top X GPAs to fill X number of seats... right?

No if you think about it, there are "less qualified" people (even if its by a small margin) who get in over others, even though on an overall scale, theyre not quite better. Many people will apply to more schools and thus get in like that, and so on. Different scenarios.

My main point was, barely missing and not getting into med vs. getting into med will be a HUGEE difference for your future lifestyle income wise.

Archived