Premed 101 Forums

Backup to Med School

suziep100

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The MOST important thing with any govt. or public agency in the National Capital Region is bilingualism. Everything else is secondary.

Even if you never have contact with the public and have almost zero chance of using a second language, it's still the most important thing.

Not true actually, and I do know from experience. HOWEVER...I do not disagree that in many cases it significantly improves your chances to begin with.

Not true actually, and I do know from experience. HOWEVER...I do not disagree that in many cases it significantly improves your chances to begin with.

Yeah having some relevant training is also looked on as important.

I forgot to add religion if you are a teacher. Catholic boards only want to hire catholic teachers. For teachers in ON, it's a huge factor when getting a job.

Yeah having some relevant training is also looked on as important.

I forgot to add religion if you are a teacher. Catholic boards only want to hire catholic teachers. For teachers in ON, it's a huge factor when getting a job.

The fact we're in a budget mess and funding two seperate schools boards is a frigging joke.

Not to memtion the 'all brothers' school in Toronto.

The fact we're in a budget mess and funding two seperate schools boards is a frigging joke.

Not to memtion the 'all brothers' school in Toronto.

And in some areas there are 4 boards, public and catholic, each with French board and English board.

It's crazy. There is hundreds of millions to be saved if everything was under one public board (which offered French and English as needed).

And in some areas there are 4 boards, public and catholic, each with French board and English board.

It's crazy. There is hundreds of millions to be saved if everything was under one public board (which offered French and English as needed).

Yup. It's a joke. You want religion? There's a church for you to go to.

Unreal argh

I have no idea what the financial implications involved, but I'm pretty happy that there is a Catholic school board and could not imagine going to a public school (no offense to anyone) I hope they never split it up lol

Yup. It's a joke. You want religion? There's a church for you to go to.

Unreal argh

Lol going to church once a week or so does not equate going to a Catholic school and going to church, if that makes any sense

Maybe this is just my area, but the only Catholic school in my area was definitely million x better than any public school; people had much better behaviour, less fights, people were dressed more appropriately, less teacher-student issues, etc.

I know it sounds like a huge generalization and a strong opinion, but it really is true, and extremely obvious if you stood anywhere in either schools for like 5 minutes or even asked anyone from either school

Anyways, my point, going to church doesn't substitute going to a Catholic school and I don't think it'd be such a great idea to make just one school board

Most girls at catholic schools were even sluttier than the girls at my (public) high school. So much for religion :rolleyes:

I understand your opinion on religion from your past posts, but those girls are either not actually Catholic (not practicing/religious) or not Catholic at all, so it has nothing to do with religion :)

I understand your opinion on religion from your past posts, but those girls are either not actually Catholic (not practicing/religious) or not Catholic at all, so it has nothing to do with religion :)

Yes pretty much. Though my point was really to say that veryy few people who call themselves religious actually follow their religion at all. And that was an example.

Depends if in small, medium sized or large firm. Ten years ago, a friend in 2nd year law @ Canadian law school, was paid a 6 figure salary (on a monthly basis as it was onyl for summer) by a NYC lawfirm. He joined them and made 300k pretty quickly. He left law and is now paying close to 1M/year. It comes down to making your own opportunities, timing, persistence and luck.

Yes working for a prestigious corporate law firm will make you BIGGG $$ nobody is denying that. Its GOVERNMENT Lawyers which make **** money :P

oh and yes french is really really important but you can get by without it. My manager cant speak a word of french! But he is the exception and not the rule. But what I have REALLY found out about government is that unfortunately its an issue of "its not what you know, its who you know" --> would explain why my friend (who has a masters and lots of experience) is stuck as a 'middle' employee while a deputy director's high school drop out daughter (only did up to gr.10) is now currently her manager. *sigh*

hmmm... i've thought about egocentric rock star in a two piece band, famous satirical comedian (i'm thinking bill maher's protege, you can see it ;)), prime minister, male dancer, or ceo of pfizer... i've also got a dat and gpa good enough to get into dental school, apparently... oh, maybe eccentric defence lawyer, i'm not no johny cochrane, i'm more like a white johny cochrane... yeah, those seem acceptable, having a travel show would also be fun.

"its not what you know, its who you know" --> would explain why my friend (who has a masters and lots of experience) is stuck as a 'middle' employee while a deputy director's high school drop out daughter (only did up to gr.10) is now currently her manager. *sigh*

Connections, networking is worth more than gold, it can and does make miracles happen and unfairly does away with merit.

hmmm... i've thought about egocentric rock star in a two piece band, famous satirical comedian (i'm thinking bill maher's protege, you can see it ;)), prime minister, male dancer, or ceo of pfizer... i've also got a dat and gpa good enough to get into dental school, apparently... oh, maybe eccentric defence lawyer, i'm not no johny cochrane, i'm more like a white johny cochrane... yeah, those seem acceptable, having a travel show would also be fun.

You didnt wanna be a doc, but wanna be a dentist maybe? :eek:

nah, i'm thinking the rock star gig blended in with using my celebrity charity as a slush fund for the cia is more personally amicable endeavor.

on an aside, dentistry is very similar to some specialized surgical specialties except with the chance to have a life, there's really not as much of a difference as people think. not every doc is a trauma surgeon saving lives in the night, a lot of specialties get boring and routine after a bit.

You didnt wanna be a doc, but wanna be a dentist maybe? :eek:

There's a reason why the price of an MBA is not for the education but rather the connections and networks you're exposed to.

You're being quite naive in underestimating the merit that the skill of connections and networking holds.

So I'm being naive by not using our current society as my standard? Get a grip man- getting a position by undercutting people who deserve it more than you do is nothing to be proud of.

It's not about "undercutting people", it's about making connections and securing support and help from those in a position to deliver just that. At some point you need references and advice - and being able to work with others well and even have them enjoy working with you are invaluable.

So I'm being naive by not using our current society as my standard? Get a grip man- getting a position by undercutting people who deserve it more than you do is nothing to be proud of.

None of my posts of f_d's posts said anything about undercutting and getting something you don't deserve.

Archived