Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invitations Are OUT!!!! Accepted/Rejected

Practically speaking, the current file scoring system means that those with an 80% average will not get an interview unless they are non-traditional applicats with lots of varied and committed experiences in challenging and and exceptional settings with leadership roles and maybe an award or two to go with it. The latter would likely get you a NAQ of over 45.

I say "non-traditional" because I think that it would be near impossible for anyone under 30 to fit the above description.

Well I have national awards in volunteering plus bunch of research/publications and other stuff, and this is what I get. Other than presidents, nobel prize winners, or olympians, I don't see how it's possible to come close to 45+ NAQ.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Just wow. I don't even know what to say right now. What's with the exponential relationship between GPA (%) and AQ? Doesn't make sense to me that a 1 or 2% difference in your grades can boost you up that much.

I haven't gotten anything yet, but the way things are going, I'm on track for maybe 20/50 AQ. 40+ NAQ is not possible for me.

IP

Overall Grade Point Average 78.22

Adjusted Grade Point Average 79.37

AQ Score 14.55

NAQ Score 36.75

TFR Score 51.30

Silly me and my silly early undergrad.

MSc with presentations and posters, conferences, 4+ years of research

Crisis Centre phone line operator for 800 hrs (2 years)

Crisis Centre Board or directors

Youth Soccer coach 3 years (120 hrs)

Youth Soccer Referee 4 years (thousands of hours)

etc etc, NAQ went up (if we're simply doubling the scoring from last year) with basically just a rewrite and some more hours.

Very disappointing, but I'm finishing a second ugrad so hopefully a couple of good semesters before next year and some more volunteering means an interview next year. I also have apps in at UofT, Queens, NOSM (northern resident) since they value my MSc, so there's still hope I guess.

I feel ya dude.

IP

aGPA - 81.21

NAQ Score 34.71

AQ Score 20.69

TFR Score 55.40

I hope someone is collecting the data to do a statistical analysis on these numbers. I'd really like to get some insight onto how UBC is doing the AQ calculations.

Last year I was rejected post interview with an NAQ 21/25 (They tanked me here this year even though I had a couple major activities added!! international sports etc.)

Anyhow, Second time applying. Also my last. I'm going to take my 6 fig salary and invest in a house and family now, had enough of this school BS

Good call. UBC is pretty much done for us who have low 80s average and cannot really do much more for NAQ, unless they make yet more changes to the system next year, which I doubt.

IP

Grade Point Average 82.38

AQ Score 24.58

NAQ Score 35.59

TFR Score 60.17

missed it by .32 :(

Thought my extra undergrad would help with my AQ but it ended up it was mostly a pass/fail (pass = 80%) program but that doesn't count towards my GPA - C'est la vie

holy sh1t that sucks

Just joined to share my stats for you guys to get more info about the scoring.

First time applying. Grad student at UBC. Had only 2 classes with marks in grad school at time of application.

****ty undergrad...

AGPA: 78.45

AQ:11.51

NAQ: 27.48

TFR 38.99

Will see what happens with Queens and other grad-student beneficial schools and figure out what to do with that brutally low AQ.

Good luck to all those who haven't received regrets yet and to those who did, we'll try harder and make it somewhere eventually :)

the fact that the school is quantifying EC's is really bugging me. Why does everything have to be numbers? Sure it is easier to sort and rank the applications, but not everything, especially EC's, can be quantified in a meaningful way. I thought the application fees were for compensating admissions for the time and effort in evaluating my application. I would appreciate it if they could look at it for what it truly is, without the need to convert everything to a meaningless number

Here are my sister's stats:

NAQ: 26.67---dropped a lot from last year where she was well above average even though she picked up two more significant volunteer activities

AQ: 33.63 (OGA=85.09)

TFR=60.30

Missed the cutoff by 0.19.

She is more angry than devastated.

I don't think she'll be applying again.

the fact that the school is quantifying EC's is really bugging me. Why does everything have to be numbers? Sure it is easier to sort and rank the applications, but not everything, especially EC's, can be quantified in a meaningful way. I thought the application fees were for compensating admissions for the time and effort in evaluating my application. I would appreciate it if they could look at it for what it truly is, without the need to convert everything to a meaningless number

Likely all school use this sort of system to rank applicants. It's just that some universities like Calgary, Alberta or UBC are more transparent than others

You have amazing persistence. I hope you are doing you're second undergrad in something useful just incase.

Thanks. Yeah its communications, so it only augments my CV with my BSc and MSc. My wife works at the university so tuition is free, otherwise I wouldn't be doing it. Now I just have to make the time commitment pay off.

Here are my sister's stats:

NAQ: 26.67---dropped a lot from last year where she was well above average even though she picked up two more significant volunteer activities

AQ: 33.63 (OGA=85.09)

TFR=60.30

Missed the cutoff by 0.19.

She is more angry than devastated.

I don't think she'll be applying again.

NAQ is like that. It fluctuates quite abit for no good reasons. I think she should reapply given that she's so close and you never know what she'll get next year for her NAQ.

Dr. Walker (the director of admissions at the UofC) stated in his podcast that one of the recent studies has shown that the average income of families that the admitted students come from...is about $160K (or something close to that). If my mommy and daddy were making that kind of dough I would be travelling the world like there is no tomorrow, playing hockey, building shelters in Jamaica during summer instead of working ... and getting 45/50 on my NAQ.

I respect the fact that the UofC at least acknowledged this and stated that they are changing their evaluation system to select applicants based on merit, rather than financial privileges.

My heart goes out to all of you guys who work so hard and maintain good grades at the same time. I wish it was a level playing field for all of us. But I strongly feel that UBC is one of those "elitist" schools.

Thanks. Yeah its communications, so it only augments my CV with my BSc and MSc. My wife works at the university so tuition is free, otherwise I wouldn't be doing it. Now I just have to make the time commitment pay off.

Will second degree really pull up GPA that much?

We probably have ~120 credits by the time we graduate from the 1st degree. Usually the second degree is 2 years long and I guess thats about 60 credits. With dropping the worst year from the first degree which is 30 credits, we are left with 90 credits from 1st degree and 60 credits with second degree. Say if the 1st degree GPA is 82%, to pull up it to 85% you need an average of almost 90% to make it.

And this is assuming the best situation. For me, my lowest year has only 12 credits and my total credit in my first degree is way higher than 120. Even a second degree of 92% wont help me that much. :(

Archived