Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invitations Are OUT!!!! Accepted/Rejected

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One strategy that I have recommended to some people (who were applying to law school rather than Med but this could work with some med schools) with not-so-great gpas after 120 credits is to delay applying for graduation until they have taken 60 additional credits which they must ace. At UBC you don't automatically graduate - you have to apply for it (at least you did in the recent past).

If they get a good average in the the final 60 they may be able to get into those schools that look at your best 60 or final 60.

This way, the extra 60 credits of great marks are not part of a second degree or part of an unclassified year. Some law schools and perhaps some med schools only look at the first degree and/or refuse to look at unclassified years.

Unfortunately, gaming the system has now become part of the game.

One strategy that I have recommended to some people (who were applying to law school rather than Med but this could work with some med schools) with not-so-great gpas after 120 credits is to delay applying for graduation until they have taken 60 additional credits which they must ace. At UBC you don't automatically graduate - you have to apply for it (at least you did in the recent past).

If they get a good average in the the final 60 they may be able to get into those schools that look at your best 60 or final 60.

This way, the extra 60 credits of great marks are not part of a second degree or part of an unclassified year. Some law schools and perhaps some med schools only look at the first degree and/or refuse to look at unclassified years.

Unfortunately, gaming the system has now become part of the game.

that is a way of doing it and that is actually what Im doing

however UBC stoped using the latest 60 credits and my MCAT is not good enough for eastern schools which take the best two years into account

but I guess this is so far the best way of improving GPA

and actually you could imagine the stress...taking courses with people who are much younger than yourself, seeing friends in the same year graduating without you and even getting in med already...now Im too tired of it and I just wanna finish and graduate

that is a way of doing it and that is actually what Im doing

however UBC stoped using the latest 60 credits and my MCAT is not good enough for eastern schools which take the best two years into account

but I guess this is so far the best way of improving GPA

and actually you could imagine the stress...taking courses with people who are much younger than yourself, seeing friends in the same year graduating without you and even getting in med already...now Im too tired of it and I just wanna finish and graduate

I know how you feel...I'm 28 now. Have applied to med school three times. Now I have a PhD. If this doesn't work I dunno what will. But at least I have another career path to follow just in case I get ignored by med schools yet again.

HEARRRRRRR HEARRRRRR GENEMO!

Add a marriage into that ol' mix and you've got yourself someone who is not going to add 60 more credits of school onto a 2nd undergrad and hence officially 'toasted for UBC Medicine'.

I graduated on time so it would 'look better' and so I could be eligible to apply to schools like NOSM which require that the 2nd undergrad degree be 3 years long to have the GPA considered on it.

Just wanted to say good luck today for those who are still waiting. And everyone who had bad news earlier this week, I feel your pain. This will be my 4th time applying to UBC...

I'm IP for UBC, but after graduating in 2010 I did paramedic training and I moved out to Alberta this summer so I'm now IP for U of Calgary and UofA. It's not a bad strategy if you guys want some more options. You just need to be living here one year from when classes would start. And paramedic training is fun too, if you have the time. It's a great plan B for me right now. I'm also applying to the Advanced Care Paramedic program. 4 times is enough for me, I think this will be the final year if it doesn't work out.

Good luck!

I know how you feel...I'm 28 now. Have applied to med school three times. Now I have a PhD. If this doesn't work I dunno what will. But at least I have another career path to follow just in case I get ignored by med schools yet again.

Have you already graduated from your phD program? Congratulations! Thats a big achievement.

I still need to figure out what I can do if I dont get in medicine. And I don't want to do a phd since I "wasted" too much time in my undergrad.

Have you already graduated from your phD program? Congratulations! Thats a big achievement.

I still need to figure out what I can do if I dont get in medicine. And I don't want to do a phd since I "wasted" too much time in my undergrad.

Thank you very much:) I have to say a PhD does improve your career prospects. I did a PhD in medicine in Rome. Research in medicine is great actually, not a waste of time at all. Right now I'm doing an extra year as a post-doc, while waiting to see if I get into med school back home. I'm crossing my fingers.

Thank you very much:) I have to say a PhD does improve your career prospects. I did a PhD in medicine in Rome. Research in medicine is great actually, not a waste of time at all. Right now I'm doing an extra year as a post-doc, while waiting to see if I get into med school back home. I'm crossing my fingers.

Since you are still here waiting for the interview then I guess you are getting it soon. Good luck preparing the interview and I hope you get in this year!

Research is fun but its a bit too challenging to find a good job nowadays :(

Since you are still here waiting for the interview then I guess you are getting it soon. Good luck preparing the interview and I hope you get in this year!

Research is fun but its a bit too challenging to find a good job nowadays :(

Thank you....but I'm not assuming anything yet. I'm just crossing my fingers. They might still send out rejections.

Archived