Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invitations Are OUT!!!! Accepted/Rejected

INTERVIEWEIEIEIWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In complete shock!! And I admit I cried like a baby but only for a short while!

I have waited so many years for this... I must have had an NAQ of ~36+ to get the interview. Perhaps it was my publication. I don't know.

To all those you didn't get an interview: I have been there year after year. It is agonizing. For me, 4th time was the charm, so if it's only your 1st or 2nd try, don't feel too badly.

I am so grateful for this chance. It comes at a time where I am working more than >70 hours a week on volunteering/school/job & struggling with debt and really wearing thin.

My head is just swimming!!

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember the posts of ontariostudent found in my Sticky @ Medical School Interview Forum - that the Interview is meant to be fun. She and others did not prepare on the basis that the preparation has occurred during their lifetimes every day.

Good luck to you all. :P

Although all of you will make great docs, not all will be selected by UBC this cycle and should you not get into med school this year, it is only a matter of time so just be persistent.

INTERVIEWEIEIEIWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In complete shock!! And I admit I cried like a baby but only for a short while!

I have waited so many years for this... I must have had an NAQ of ~36+ to get the interview. Perhaps it was my publication. I don't know.

To all those you didn't get an interview: I have been there year after year. It is agonizing. For me, 4th time was the charm, so if it's only your 1st or 2nd try, don't feel too badly.

I am so grateful for this chance. It comes at a time where I am working more than >70 hours a week on volunteering/school/job & struggling with debt and really wearing thin.

My head is just swimming!!

Hey Murphy congrats!!!! I have also tried multiple times without success, also wearing thin from all the work that life as well as this process throws at you!!! Hopefully some weight has been lifted from your shoulders (it has for me definetly) and you can relax moving forward in this application process!!!!!

Cotton candy, our GPA differs by almost 3 percent! you must have gotten 50/50 on the NAQ too.

How does the NMP part of the application actually help your score? Is that factored into the NAQ? I filled that out but I wonder if they made a mistake and didn't count it?

Thanks,

EK

what's NMP oh and I forgot the include my grad school courses in the calc because that was a GPA and i wasn't sure how to add to my undergrad avg, so it might be more than 3 %

does anyone know what's the break down after interview? ie

Interview counts for what % vs. GPA vs. MCAT breakdown post vs. pre-reqs vs. reference letters (not sure if there are anything else?)

No one knows, but the interview is definitely a big chunk. However, I believe the AQ/NAQ score you get going in still plays a significant role - if you look at last year stats, only 3 BC applicants that had above 90% for the GPA got refused a spot(as opposed to 14 the year before), and look how many 90%+ that got in. Anyone with 90% last year got 25/25 for their AQ, so even with a below average NAQ (say 10), they would still be above average for AQ/NAQ. I think it's fair to assume not everyone 90%+ would have aced the interview last year (but look how many got in), so clearly the interview is important, but I think some people think it's weighted more than it is. My theory is pre-interview = 50%, interview 40%, MCAT/pre-reqs = 10%, and references are flags. If you look at all the rejected IP stats, not many have a huge AQ/NAQ score. This is purely speculation and I could be totally wrong. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

cottoncandy, the NMP is the Northern Medical Program. There is a whole other part of the application dedicated to your suitability for the north if you check off that you are interested in it. I wonder how and when they use this information???

I think I only selected the UBC main campus one. But I'm not sure site preference would really factor in your NAQ. Because according to the information on the website, they give presentations on the diff sites during the interview and then people who went for the interview choose afterwards. But I could be wrong, I'm a first time applicant so this whole process is a bit new to me.

No one knows, but the interview is definitely a big chunk. However, I believe the AQ/NAQ score you get going in still plays a significant role - if you look at last year stats, only 3 BC applicants that had above 90% for the GPA got refused a spot(as opposed to 14 the year before), and look how many 90%+ that got in. Anyone with 90% last year got 25/25 for their AQ, so even with a below average NAQ (say 10), they would still be above average for AQ/NAQ. I think it's fair to assume not everyone 90%+ would have aced the interview last year (but look how many got in), so clearly the interview is important, but I think some people think it's weighted more than it is. My theory is pre-interview = 50%, interview 40%, MCAT/pre-reqs = 10%, and references are flags. If you look at all the rejected IP stats, not many have a huge AQ/NAQ score. This is purely speculation and I could be totally wrong. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

This is quite possible. Of course, everyone who got invited to the interview should have a fair shot of acceptance but definitely not EQUAL shot. Barring major choking in the interview, those with superb GPA should have a pretty good chance of acceptance under the new system.

This is quite possible. Of course, everyone who got invited to the interview should have a fair shot of acceptance but definitely not EQUAL shot. Barring major choking in the interview, those with superb GPA should have a pretty good chance of acceptance under the new system.

i know someone who got rejected with a 42/50 TFR last year, and the interview score that he/she received was "average"

i know someone who got rejected with a 42/50 TFR last year, and the interview score that he/she received was "average"

Never underestimate the power of the interview!

I can't say 100% for UBC, but for many schools once you make it past the first cutoff, the interview pretty much makes or breaks your chances! Also, keep in mind that evaluator comments play a BIG role in whether the decision is accept or reject.

I have no idea how the interview is weighted, but I for one have not read about a single rejected applicant who received an above average interview score.

IMO, those with high gpa (ie. 90+) might be able to squeak in with an average interview score but for the majority of applicants I believe the interview makes or breaks the application.

Having said that, I probably over compensated last year, I collected dozens and dozens of health care related articles, joined two different prep groups, paid $250 to meet with Dr. Astroff (or whatever his name is) and spent a lot of time videotaping myself doing MMI questions. I plan on toning it down a bit this year and freestyling it a bit. This being my 4th go around, I have long since stopped being (excessively) nervous about the interview.

I don't consider myself a bad interviewer (though what do I know) as I interview people for a living (psych nurse), I actually felt quite good about my MMI experience last year, but for some reason it hasn't worked out yet.

I have no idea how the interview is weighted, but I for one have not read about a single rejected applicant who received an above average interview score.

IMO, those with high gpa (ie. 90+) might be able to squeak in with an average interview score but for the majority of applicants I believe the interview makes or breaks the application.

Having said that, I probably over compensated last year, I collected dozens and dozens of health care related articles, joined two different prep groups, paid $250 to meet with Dr. Astroff (or whatever his name is) and spent a lot of time videotaping myself doing MMI questions. I plan on toning it down a bit this year and freestyling it a bit. This being my 4th go around, I have long since stopped being (excessively) nervous about the interview.

I don't consider myself a bad interviewer (though what do I know) as I interview people for a living (psych nurse), I actually felt quite good about my MMI experience last year, but for some reason it hasn't worked out yet.

how helpful did you think Dr. Astroff was...? worth it? any good health articles/books or prep anyone can recommend? I'm thinking of ordering some from amazon

Archived