Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invitations Are OUT!!!! Accepted/Rejected

Everyone's pretty much on the same playing field now. Don't count on your GPA or MCAT or your Nobel prize bailing you out if you have a crappy interview. Get together and have organised and regular practice sessions. My MMI practice group had like 15 people in it and 12 of us got in.

I also recommend the book "Doing Right" to get a feel for answering ethical dilemmas.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply
how helpful did you think Dr. Astroff was...? worth it? any good health articles/books or prep anyone can recommend? I'm thinking of ordering some from amazon

I thought he was quite knowledgeable and professional. If you are asking whether I would go see him again, well I would like to but I can't justify spending $250 to see him a second time (I am no longer a student so paying him wasn't a huge issue, but this year the global economy has caught up to me and my mortgage). The only real downside is that he can't simulate a real mmi, he has you come in the door over and over again with various questions but it isn't really the same thing.

However, I do think some of the tips he gave me were somewhat helpful (though again, not $250 helpful).

If you are interested in forming an MMI study group, email me at:

2012mmiubc@gmail.com

Include your location (i.e. live on campus, in Burnaby, etc) and what materials you can provide (i.e. MMI package, prep book, personal experience, etc).

We should meet in the winter break! I'm going to cap the group @ 8 people.

Thanks for the emails. The group is now filled :).

What does it mean that the academic reference must be associated with your post-secondary program? Does it mean that they must be in Microbiology/Immunology if that is what you are studying? Or Science?

I think they mean someone who has taught you in your post secondary studies. Ie. not a high school teacher etc.

What does it mean that the academic reference must be associated with your post-secondary program? Does it mean that they must be in Microbiology/Immunology if that is what you are studying? Or Science?

Excellent question which I am wondering about myself. Unfortunately the UBC blog merely refers readers to the interview section of the admissions web page which you just quoted. I received my degree in 2005 and have next to no contact with those professors. In the past I have used referees whom I took pre-requisites with, while I was an unclassified student. Not sure if this is frowned upon or not. Last year I used a third year sociology prof (elective) whom I became quite close with. This year I was planning on using a biology/cell biology professor I took pre-reqs with, I will email admissions and ask them about the suitability of this. I might be in a bit of trouble if I need to get a professor from my actual degree, besides the fact that I don't know them anymore, my degree was in nursing which isn't exactly conducive to getting reference letters to med school.

Excellent question which I am wondering about myself. Unfortunately the UBC blog merely refers readers to the interview section of the admissions web page which you just quoted. I received my degree in 2005 and have next to no contact with those professors. In the past I have used referees whom I took pre-requisites with, while I was an unclassified student. Not sure if this is frowned upon or not. Last year I used a third year sociology prof (elective) whom I became quite close with. This year I was planning on using a biology/cell biology professor I took pre-reqs with, I will email admissions and ask them about the suitability of this. I might be in a bit of trouble if I need to get a professor from my actual degree, besides the fact that I don't know them anymore, my degree was in nursing which isn't exactly conducive to getting reference letters to med school.

UBC Dentistry says the exact same thing but I talked to the admission manager in person and she says it's not a big deal if you can't find a professor. She said an academic reference is "preferred" but not mandatory despite what it says on the website. Maybe UBC Med is the same......?

Any current med students or someone who's been through this before, please advicse! Do you think they would disqualify me if I can't get someone that taught me in a course for a reference? I haven't taken a course in a very long time, and most my references are research profs so I was gonna get a research prof/research associate do that one....i know it says not suitable, but do they still allow it...?

Any current med students or someone who's been through this before, please advicse! Do you think they would disqualify me if I can't get someone that taught me in a course for a reference? I haven't taken a course in a very long time, and most my references are research profs so I was gonna get a research prof/research associate do that one....i know it says not suitable, but do they still allow it...?[/quote the best way is to give admissions a call! Congrats on the interview!

Any current med students or someone who's been through this before, please advicse! Do you think they would disqualify me if I can't get someone that taught me in a course for a reference? I haven't taken a course in a very long time, and most my references are research profs so I was gonna get a research prof/research associate do that one....i know it says not suitable, but do they still allow it...?[/quote the best way is to give admissions a call! Congrats on the interview!

UBC's blog says they won't answer questions on suitability specifically... so I doubt I will get a straight answer, that's why I was wondering if you can still get in if you use a research for academic reference or if that would make me elligible...

UBC's blog says they won't answer questions on suitability specifically... so I doubt I will get a straight answer, that's why I was wondering if you can still get in if you use a research for academic reference or if that would make me elligible...

What about for people who has been out of school for a long time?

Hi everyone,

I've been invited for an interview and have two questions: 1. where do I find the "Interview information package" referred to in the online application system? 2. I remember seeing a sample reference sheet (what is sent to your 3 references to be filled out) but I cannot find it now...does anyone have a link to this?

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone,

I've been invited for an interview and have two questions: 1. where do I find the "Interview information package" referred to in the online application system? 2. I remember seeing a sample reference sheet (what is sent to your 3 references to be filled out) but I cannot find it now...does anyone have a link to this?

Thanks in advance!

The link was supplied in the notification email that was sent to us. To see the sample references, go to section E.

:)

Hi All,

UBC MMI Prep group. Looking for an even number of about 6-10 individuals.

ubc_medicine_mmi_2012@hotmail.com

I am a mature, lower-GPA, higher-NAQ applicant. If you are able to provide resources (e.g. hosting), please let me know in the email, or we can meet at UBC. Looking to start in December/January. Group already has 2 people.

Thanks!!

M

:D

A huge congratulations to everyone who received an invite! To anyone who didn't -- I can only say that, having been rejected before, it is really, really hard and I hope that my invite shows that nothing is impossible for your future.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend a hotel or B&B? I would like to be somewhere between the campus and Granville Island.

45% chance now for all us IP. about 25% for oop. Good luck all.

Congrats to everybody offered an interview and my condolences to those sent regrets. UBC Med is a fickle friend.

Just a quick point regarding OOP chances... The "odds" are likely higher (closer to 50-60%) when you factor in other schools and deferrals. If there are 100 applicants I would speculate that around 50-60 would end up getting an offer after interviews.

Again, congrats and good luck!

Oh, and I would suggest that buying books, researching the MMI and participating in mock MMI sessions are not entirely mandatory for doing well in the interview. So, if you don't go out and do all of those things don't stress... I spent a month answering questions in an email thread that I would argue we're a complete waste of time. Just be yourself and think critically. If you can think of two opposing thoughts and discuss them then you're off to a good start.

Oh, and I would suggest that buying books, researching the MMI and participating in mock MMI sessions are not entirely mandatory for doing well in the interview. So, if you don't go out and do all of those things don't stress... I spent a month answering questions in an email thread that I would argue we're a complete waste of time. Just be yourself and think critically. If you can think of two opposing thoughts and discuss them then you're off to a good start.

Thanks for this! I suspected that was the case. I definitely do not want to over practice. But will do research and I have some friends in the med program who are offering to help out, which is great. I'm not in Vancouver so I don't have like massive amounts of people in the same area who I can physically do mock interviews with.

I've actually heard that as long as you don't panic, the MMI can be kinda fun. And I'm really looking forward to it. Literally, I can't wait :) will be preparing for this enthusiastically.

Archived