Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invitations Are OUT!!!! Accepted/Rejected

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are several reasons that I can think of as to why the % is higher,

1) Some GPAs are adjusted

2) The scaling for other schools has been made easier (like SFU)

3) There are more OP applicant spots which boosts the averages of interviewed applicants.

4) Less applicants are invited for interviews therefore its more competitive.

Not to increase anyone's anxiety, but just saw this on the admissions blog:

John

November 15, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

Would it be correct to say that while regrets may come out at any point throughout this week, invites will only come out on Friday?

Admissions

November 15, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Permalink | Reply

Nope. All notifications can come at any point this week.

I tried a polynomial line and it seems that it is a much better fit.

the equation is

AQ SCORE = -0.1022*(GPA%)^2 + 20.682*(GPA%) - 987.19

R² = 0.9999

If this is correct, then those with low 80s average basically have zero shot at getting the interview since they would need close to perfect NAQ.

From last year's stats, all the low 80s have very similar AQ score and the jump was seen starting in the very high 80s, so I don't think your equation is correct. The change in AQ scale is probably not to punish those with lower grades but rather reward those with superb grades (90+).

I tried a polynomial line and it seems that it is a much better fit.

the equation is

AQ SCORE = -0.1022*(GPA%)^2 + 20.682*(GPA%) - 987.19

R² = 0.9999

EDIT: This is a fitline for the 85-90 range dont think it applies to <85 or >90

wow some people on this forum can do some crazy math!!

:eek:

Applicants that have verifiers contacted can take heart I think. While some on these forums have speculated that verifier contact is totally random, I doubt that adcom would devote resources to verify applications that have zero shot even if all NAQs are assumed true.

More likely, they initially rank applicants on the assumption that the NAQs are true. Then they verify the top 600 or so applications. After verification, some applicants may drop out of the interview pool to be replaced by others. Any other process would result in wasted time and effort.

Therefore, I think that if you know a verifier has been contact there is no need to worry.

Applicants that have verifiers contacted can take heart I think. While some on these forums have speculated that verifier contact is totally random, I doubt that adcom would devote resources to verify applications that have zero shot even if all NAQs are assumed true.

More likely, they initially rank applicants on the assumption that the NAQs are true. Then they verify the top 600 or so applications. After verification, some applicants may drop out of the interview pool to be replaced by others. Any other process would result in wasted time and effort.

Therefore, I think that if you know a verifier has been contact there is no need to worry.

T.T Does that mean if my verifiers were contacted pretty recently, that means Im on the bottom of the list...

I guess I shud stop guessing...

And why they are only inviting 560 BC applicants this year??? Are they admitting less people or what

My guess is that from last year's overhaul they determined that 560 interviewees is sufficient for them to form a competitive pool to assess for the final spots. That or anything more was determined to be too taxing on their resources.

I dont think this is true, anectodly, the people I know who have been accepted did not have any of their verifiers contacted. I think that due to the many theories out there as to why ADCOM contacts people (another one is that they dont contact really high scoring applicants because that is a waste as well) it is bad to speculate.

I dont think this is true, anectodly, the people I know who have been accepted did not have any of their verifiers contacted. I think that due to the many theories out there as to why ADCOM contacts people (another one is that they dont contact really high scoring applicants because that is a waste as well) it is bad to speculate.

You are talking about last year or this year? I've never heard of anyone's verifier got contacted in previous years but this year myself got 2 verifiers checked. I'm pretty sure they have a new way of doing it this year and more verification check is happening.

My guess is that from last year's overhaul they determined that 560 interviewees is sufficient for them to form a competitive pool to assess for the final spots. That or anything more was determined to be too taxing on their resources.

If that means this year, people invited to interview have a larger chance getting in...then thats good. But I doubt it lol

Isnt it a lot higher than last year???

Last year, invited, overall 84.68% prereq 82.52% latest 60 86.59%

this year invited...87.33%?! seriously...

It makes sense. They are taking off applicant's worst year (assuming they qualify for this which I'm guessing many will) which should boost the average GPA seeing tons of people have one year in particular (often first year) which dramatically lowers their GPA. Also, they invited fewer to interview this year so it would also make sense that those invited have higher overall scores than the non-invited people thus further driving up the average.

Archived