Do you get the flu vaccine?

Hockey_whiz

Do you get the flu vaccine?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you get the flu vaccine?

• Yes
    • No

Hi all,

Doing this thing for school. My question is :Do you get the flu vaccine?

It would be helpful and appreciated if you could also list why you do/don't get it, thanks!

I get it 'cause we're supposed to get it in school, I think to not get it involves more paperwork and effort. Also to protect the young/old susceptible people and all that.

I did, because:

-I understand herd immunity

-I (kind of) understand immunology and know that I won't be harmed by a vaccine

-I live with young children who are in preschool, and can bring home illness to me easily

-I work with people, including populations at risk for health problems and illness

-I would rather have a sore arm for a day than be sick for a week

-H1N1 was a terrible thing for me to go through

I did, because:

-I understand herd immunity

-I (kind of) understand immunology and know that I won't be harmed by a vaccine

-I live with young children who are in preschool, and can bring home illness to me easily

-I work with people, including populations at risk for health problems and illness

-I would rather have a sore arm for a day than be sick for a week

-H1N1 was a terrible thing for me to go through

I agree with all of this. Basically, I feel that getting the flu vaccine is a basic respect towards any patients I come in contact with.

For me it varies from year to year. I will get the vaccine if I have a good reason for not wanting to get the flu that year. Otherwise I don't.

For example, I used to get vaccinated when I volunteered at the hospital because I didn't want to endanger the patients. I got vaccinated this year to make sure I don't get sick and miss a med school interview. I got the H1N1 vaccine because I was scared of H1N1.

I look at the vaccine and always think that every medical intervention carries some risk with it so I generally believe in avoiding interventions unless I can see a clear benefit from them. Since, I'm young and pretty healthy I don't consider the flu to be much of a threat to me and so I don't see much benefit in being vaccinated. Therefore I choose not to accept the risk of the vaccine.

Before everyone jumps on to point out how much more dangerous the flu is statistically than the vaccine, let me just say that I know that. Every decision can't be 100% rational.

Basically, I feel that getting the flu vaccine is a basic respect towards any patients I come in contact with.

^ This

I never got it until last year when I started working directly and almost daily with people in a residential care setting, and plan on continuing through nursing school, med school, and for as long as I practice with patients. I don't think I've even had the flu for 10+ years, but after extensive personal research into the safety or danger of vaccination, I've found no convincing evidence that it poses any risk to me. And even if it caused some kind of mild symptoms, I'd rather suffer a little but be able to keep my patients safe. It's out of respect for their safety, because while vaccines have no proven to cause harm to humans, the flu proves every year that it can swiftly take the lives or health of susceptible people! Exactly the opposite of what I want!

I'm currently sick (got sick before they were doing the flu vaccine) so at the very least, I want to wait until I'm better before I get the vaccine (no need to feel double under the weather, even if it's for a couple days! lol). I hadn't ever before, but since I'll be in the hospital, it's probably better if I do to protect those that are immunocompromised (for whatever reason).

I wouldn't if I didn't have to though.... I don't like needles and try and avoid them at all costs:o

Archived