Premed 101 Forums

Money, Prestige, and Lifestyle

Actually, simple common sense would show you that I meant residents have a higher net income than those whose gross income is ~60k.

cool, which specialty?

but if that doesn't cut it, I've yet to ever see a pre med anywhere who would "cut it" then.

residents make more than those whose gross income is ~60k per year.

I disagree with this kid on most things he says but this time he is right. Ya if you factor in the tax credit we get from the huge debt then a resident with 51k is like someone making 70k equivalent. Also Eng don't work 40 hours a week on average from the first few years. Most of my Eng friends r just starting to work this year they work well well above 40 hours a week and makes around 60k - 80k a year. However on the other hand that 51k resident pay requires probably even more hours than a hard working Eng rookie. Also people always bring up the topic on how there's no money in med that is complete BS BS BS BS. Med has so much money and if u wanna be rich join this field Jesus I am kinda sick and tired of the sanctimonious comments that make the factor of $$$ look like it's nothing in one's decision to pursue a career in med and you gotta not care about money at all in order to practice med. It's not true. In fact most doctors who do care about money r very very good docs and why wouldn't one care about money? what's so bad about caring about it?

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cool, which specialty?

but if that doesn't cut it, I've yet to ever see a pre med anywhere who would "cut it" then.

residents make more than those whose gross income is ~60k per year.

Radiology. And are you actually trying to tell me I'm wrong and you know how much money I make?? I think I'm safe in my accuracy here.

feel free to have the last word, please think long and hard before applying.

Whoa, biomed eng has a higher median that pet eng in alberta, didn't see that one coming.

Also, for the amount of education, obviously residents get paid crap, who didn't know that?

No they don't. According to Revenue Canada, anyone who makes between 41 and 83k/yr will pay 6k in taxes. Average salary of 75k for an engineer... that means 6k of taxes... if there's zero deductions (which is extremely unlikely for someone fresh out of university, never mind all the tax deductions available).

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html

Look stuff up before you call people out.

EDIT: Even if you take someone making 60k with zero deductions available and 6k of taxes, that makes 54k. The only R1s in the country to make more than 54k are those in AB... and it's 54 800 ish there.

Damn... how did you even pass grade 12?

(41.5k x 0.15) + (33.5k x 0.22) + (75k x 0.10)

=

21.1k of taxes for Alberta.

Pretty weak math skills brah.

Or... you don't know how taxes work at all, and don't know the difference between federal tax and provincial tax.

Someone making 75k in Alberta will keep just under 54k.

'Tis the season to be trolling! Fa la la la la, la la la la.

don

Don't forget that we're talking to a first year student who's never lived a day of real life or made any real money with which he could support himself. Hey everyone, don't get bent out of shape! I'm sure he's just trolling for his own pleasure....or because the crushing blow of a ****ty midterm mark is easier to take when you spend all your time being a dud online instead of actually studying! ;)

Let`s not stereotype first year students here

Some of us have made money and get >77% on our midterms :)

Let`s not stereotype first year students here

Some of us have made money and get >77% on our midterms :)

I prefer to pursue my high level athletics over working at mcdonalds, and work in summers as a personal trainer.

And what's your point? I'm pretty well over 90 on 4/5 classes and mid 80s for one class.

=

Or... you don't know how taxes work at all, and don't know the difference between federal tax and provincial tax.

lololol did not even scroll down to see provincial

also, i live in ontario where our provincial taxes are also progressive

Lastly, I explicitly stated that was federal taxes, which it is if you subtract your provincial addition from the total

=

So my math is off, I'll admit it. I read quickly and didn't follow the chart properly. Unlike you I can admit when I'm wrong. It's still 54k.... NOT including deductions. What person making 75k doesn't have ANY deductions?:rolleyes: Add in a few of these, and it's 60k net, easy, if not more than 65k. ie still more than an R1

So my math is off, I'll admit it. I read quickly and didn't follow the chart properly. Unlike you I can admit when I'm wrong. It's still 54k.... NOT including deductions. What person making 75k doesn't have ANY deductions?:rolleyes: Add in a few of these, and it's 60k net, easy, if not more than 65k. ie still more than an R1

65k maybe if the person had a stay at home wife and 2 kids.

And the problem in all of this is you're using alberta and not using ontario or BC which are the big 2 provinces in Canada. And you side tracked off the point, the reality is that medicine provides the most money and prestige at the end of the day than all other fields which people have a DECENT chance at getting into.

I'd have more money/prestige being an olympic athlete, but will I make it there? probably not. And all of this is supported by the fact that medicine is the most competitive mainstream academic program to get into, because everyone wants a guaranteed high income and people to "wow" at their careers. And the little dudes running around talking about 120 hour weeks, saving lives every other minute, and acting like they'd do it for free... are not neccesarily even better than money hungry doctors a lot of times. And lastly.. comparing engineering salaries to doctors' salaries is a useless arguments because every non-retard knows engineers dont make anywhere near doctors.

/thread

And the problem in all of this is you're using alberta and not using ontario or BC which are the big 2 provinces in Canada. And you side tracked off the point, the reality is that medicine provides the most money and prestige at the end of the day than all other fields which people have a DECENT chance at getting into.

I'd have more money/prestige being an olympic athlete, but will I make it there? probably not. And all of this is supported by the fact that medicine is the most competitive mainstream academic program to get into, because everyone wants a guaranteed high income and people to "wow" at their careers. And the little dudes running around talking about 120 hour weeks, saving lives every other minute, and acting like they'd do it for free... are not neccesarily even better than money hungry doctors a lot of times. And lastly.. comparing engineering salaries to doctors' salaries is a useless arguments because every non-retard knows engineers dont make anywhere near doctors.

/thread

Are you F'kin kidding me

Are you F'kin kidding me

"Everyone" was a generalization, but I have 4 uncles whose prime motive in going into medicine was $$$. Not a single doctor I've ever seen is anywhere remotely as good as they are. Point: Your motive doesn't matter if you like what you do.

because everyone wants a guaranteed high income and people to "wow" at their careers.

Trust me if people don't "wow" at my career I'm gonna be super ticked. I might have to quit and become an astronaut. Or a World of WarCraft tester. Get it? "WoW"? :D

Also agree with the high income, definitely need me a Mercedes. Actually screw that, I'm goin for the Ferrari. None of this upper middle class crap.

Trust me if people don't "wow" at my career I'm gonna be super ticked. I might have to quit and become an astronaut. Or a World of WarCraft tester. Get it? "WoW"? :D

Also agree with the high income, definitely need me a Mercedes. Actually screw that, I'm goin for the Ferrari. None of this upper middle class crap.

Hahahaha I actually laughed :) ... could be b/c I'm really tired right now though and anythign could be funny hehe

NEVER AGAIN.

"Everyone" was a generalization, but I have 4 uncles whose prime motive in going into medicine was $$$. Not a single doctor I've ever seen is anywhere remotely as good as they are. Point: Your motive doesn't matter if you like what you do.

Your logic is amazing to me

/thread

Well... just for argument's sake (talking about tax) look here: http://lsminsurance.ca/calculators/canada/income-tax

type in 75 000. Net (NO DEDUCTIONS) In AB: 58k. In ON: 58k. BC: 59k. AB has no PST/HST though.

Just because something is bigger/more populous doesn't mean it's better. I'm using AB because I'm familiar with prices there and in Ontario. 5% GST on everything sure as hell beats out 13% HST in Ontario. How about gas? I believe it's 101.9 there now. Here in ON, 121.9. That 58k goes farther in AB than ON. I could go on.

I wasn't even talking about money or prestige here. But if I was going for money or prestige, I can guarantee I'd be going for something that didn't involve 10 years of my life and 50-100 hour work weeks being the norm for years.

And for the record, anyone who doesn't have their head up their @$$ knows that engineers CAN make more than doctors.

Btw... Prestige and money only goes so far. People can smell douchebaggery a mile away. Just sayin'.

Well... just for argument's sake (talking about tax) look here: http://lsminsurance.ca/calculators/canada/income-tax

type in 75 000. Net (NO DEDUCTIONS) In AB: 58k. In ON: 58k. BC: 59k. AB has no PST/HST though.

Just because something is bigger/more populous doesn't mean it's better. I'm using AB because I'm familiar with prices there and in Ontario. 5% GST on everything sure as hell beats out 13% HST in Ontario. How about gas? I believe it's 101.9 there now. Here in ON, 121.9. That 58k goes farther in AB than ON. I could go on.

I wasn't even talking about money or prestige here. But if I was going for money or prestige, I can guarantee I'd be going for something that didn't involve 10 years of my life and 50-100 hour work weeks being the norm for years.

And for the record, anyone who doesn't have their head up their @$$ knows that engineers CAN make more than doctors.

Btw... Prestige and money only goes so far. People can smell douchebaggery a mile away. Just sayin'.

There's a reason people move to Toronto (as their first choice). Simple reason is that all the fun is here. It's the best part of Canada.

I have a lot more reasons than money (dont care about prestige all that much) to go into medicine. I just consider money a very big factor (so does every single wise person). But when you say you'd do something else for money/prestige, the reality is, your chance of success at something that would bring you millions and lots of fame is pretty slim.

And saying engineers CAN make more than doctors is absolutely true, but so CAN electricians, and a long list of jobs which CAN make more.

I showed you a link (which you keep ignoring) that showed the average physician salary is well over 200k/year. And that's given a fairly lower estimate (not including many private practices which are cash printers for docs).

You're saying toronto/gta doesn't have the highest number of immigrants?
Who said anything about immigrants? It would make sense for them to move there because GTA's so big. However when you're talking about docs moving to find jobs, which is really what your post implied, you can't say that most of them want to move to Toronto.

Archived