Premed 101 Forums

2012 Applicant thread

Hey all, I thought I'd start a thread for all applicants this year. List the schools you will be applying to, your GPA, and your volunteer experiences.

I'll start..

I'm applying to Toronto, Mac, Western, and Queens for PT. My GPA is approx 3.8 (from my calculation), and I have hospital volunteer experience.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I applied to all 4 Ontario schools

GPA: 3.7 (my GPA seems so low compared to everyone here :( )

Experience: PT clinic volunteering

Could be useful for people applying next time around to see our info and then where we get in. I'm applying to Queen's, Mac and Western. subGPA=3.88, cumGPA=3.84, and I have 600 clinic hours and 40 hospital hours.
Why didn't you apply to UofT?

Only because I would choose western before UofT, and since western ranks applicants purely on GPA it should be a lock for me. Nothing against UofT... London area has more job opportunities for my wife.

Applying to all 4 ontario schools as well:

sGPA: 3.74, cumGPA: 3.26 (too much booze and bull**** in 1st and 2nd year haha)

Experience/volunteer: 200 hours split between 2 PT Clinics, as well as 3 years coaching baseball and 3 years with mentally disabled child (~ once a week for 6 weeks/year)

these other GPAs are makin me feel a little uneasy haha

Well this thread is a little discouraging...

My sub gpa is 3.65 and cum is 3.3. My sub is pulled down because they are looking at the winter term of my second year where I didn't do so well. I have over 400hrs in a chiro/physio clinic as a Kinesiologist plus 60 hrs prior volunteer work in a clinic. Currently volunteering with the Victorian order of nurses working with seniors to promote PA (35 hrs).

Good luck to everyone!

I would be happy going to either U of T or Western for PT, but if I do receive acceptances from both schools *fingers crossed!*, then my top choice would probably be U of T :)

Why didn't you apply to mcmaster and queens?

Hey just wondering which school is your top choice?

What about you? Where are you applying?

Hi everyone,

Finishing my M.Sc. here... applied to med school too, but also to PT at McMaster (I didn't take stats/psychology and my hospital volunteering was a long time ago, which is why I only applied there). Spent time getting treated by a physiotherapist about a year ago which sparked my interest in the field, since I was able to see what he was doing and what the job was basically about.

M.Sc. gpa is around 3.9+

Undergrad cumulative gpa is around 3.57 ....But my lowest grade was a B/3.0, which is their minimum requirement. I also went to college before my undergrad, but I don't believe they use these grades at all.

Not sure if they will use my grad grades, according to the website it's done on a "case by case" basis. So I'm hoping they will!

Anyone get in after doing a masters? Or know anyone who did?

Good luck to all in following your dreams :)

• 3 weeks later...
So what now? What is the next step in our applications? Are we supposed to receive anything from Orpas?

I believe ORPAS is supposed to send us a letter summarizing everything they will submit to the schools.

If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats?

^ yes, we will recieve a verification form from Orpas which should indicate all the information you provided to orpas (i.e. school choices). Also, the calculated gpa over your most recent, 10 full or 20 half credits (last 2 years) is provided on this form.

Based on last year, you should expect this form within the first 2 weeks of February.

I believe ORPAS is supposed to send us a letter summarizing everything they will submit to the schools.

If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats?

Ok thanks for the response guys... 3.80 is my cGPA and sGPA is 3.90(if I did this right)..., applying to western, mac and toronto...western first choice...

I applied to all 4 schools for PT. First choice would be UofT, but would happily accept at any school (Mac, UWO and QU in that order if you really must know). My cGPA is trash, a 2.xx-something, but my last two years are 3.80. Volunteering experience is standard, the usual hospital and PT clinic stuff. Lots of diverse work experience too.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you high GPA folks (3.80 or higher) have applied to med/dental? Some of the GPA's seem like a lock for at least an interview at UWO meds, maybe Queens, provided you can produce a 30 MCAT.

I applied to all 4 schools for PT. First choice would be UofT, but would happily accept at any school (Mac, UWO and QU in that order if you really must know). My cGPA is trash, a 2.xx-something, but my last two years are 3.80. Volunteering experience is standard, the usual hospital and PT clinic stuff. Lots of diverse work experience too.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you high GPA folks (3.80 or higher) have applied to med/dental? Some of the GPA's seem like a lock for at least an interview at UWO meds, maybe Queens, provided you can produce a 30 MCAT.

Def did not. Thought about it, but i did a lot of soul searching and research and if I applied and was accepted I know it would not be fulfilling as a career choice.

I'm applying to DAL PT and OT. They use a 4.3 system and consider your last 20 courses of your undergrad. My GPA for DAL is 3.89, my volunteer experience is varied and not specific to PT or OT. My work experience is in a community nursing station.

I'd love to hear about other DAL applicants :)

Archived