Premed 101 Forums

2012 Applicant thread

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is pretty ridiculous. What's worse is that the pool is probably confounded by med applicants who apply to physio as backup but may never enroll.....

I agree. Its an unfortunate reality for many highly qualified students specific to the physiotherapy profession with high marks but not high enough to make the cutoff.

Congrats to everyone who got an interview from U of T

I too am shocked at the increase in the GPA cut-off this year, I didn't think it would be much higher than last years.

Hopefully Western's cut-off isn't much different from last year.

For all those applicants worried about the high GPA's for the Ontario Universities, keep in mind that the Ontario universites accept applications from students from across Canada, and many of these OOP applicants who apply, have competitive GPAs. Nonetheless, these same applicants apply to the programs in their respective provinces and near by universities as well, and in many cases will choose these universities over the other one's in Ontario. Thus opening up many more spots off waitlist.

Just something to think about.

Goodluck to all!

Congrats to everyone who got an interview from U of T

I too am shocked at the increase in the GPA cut-off this year, I didn't think it would be much higher than last years.

Hopefully Western's cut-off isn't much different from last year.

For all those applicants worried about the high GPA's for the Ontario Universities, keep in mind that the Ontario universites accept applications from students from across Canada, and many of these OOP applicants who apply, have competitive GPAs. Nonetheless, these same applicants apply to the programs in their respective provinces and near by universities as well, and in many cases will choose these universities over the other one's in Ontario. Thus opening up many more spots off waitlist.

Just something to think about.

Goodluck to all!

Did you get an invite for UofT?

Does anyone know if there is a wait list for CAP invites? I mean if people don't confirm their assistance would they send more invites to fill the spots?

I suspect there should be. If people do decline the CAP invitation (which many do btw) those who haven't been rejected yet may get an invitation. Hope you guys hear good news soon!

Ok so I called UofT. I'm not invited.

Their words:

I can confirm that your GPA of 3.78 (Note: my sGPA should actually be slightly higher since I took more than 20 credits in my last two years, I wrote about it in another thread, am still sorting it out with ORPAS matches what I have in my system. The Chair of Admissions reviewed your file in detail and unfortunately it was determined that we could not move your file forward in the process.

I understand that this news is likely disappointing, however there are various steps we take in reviewing files and the Chair did go through these steps with your file. We did receive 1048 applications this year and your file was not chosen to move to the next step of the admission process.

As I mentioned on the phone, all candidates can improve their file by taking extra courses. As per SGS (School of Graduate Studies) regulations, any upgrades completed should be at the senior (3rd or 4th year) level, unless they are prerequisite courses. Prerequisite courses are permitted to be at the 1st and 2nd year level. I would recommend sticking with life science/social science/humanities types courses – subject that are relevant to the PT program.

I completed a BSc in '09, tons of life, physical, social science and humanities courses. I'm taking 3 courses now: anatomy/physiology (completion will be April), as well as stats (took in 2004 so have to redo to meet their time requirement), as well as English to meet the requirement for UWO. My volunteer experience includes hundreds of hours in hospital/clinic. I've worked some sort of job since I was fifteen.

UofT says you need to meet the cut offs, which I did. You need to complete the pre req's which I have/am doing. They don't have hard requirements regarding extracurriculars, but I have those too. I asked them if I am disqualified from applying (essentially a different way of asking if they think I've fabricated any part of my app - not that I did, but if they thought so I feel I should have the right to defend my case), they said no, I can still apply next year, if I feel I've 'improved my application'

Anyway, I called before I got that email and they told me the same thing, reiterating that they cannot tell me exactly why. I'm still going to email the chair to see if I can get anymore info, though I doubt it will go anywhere.

I'm still in shock. I'm wondering now about the other schools. Mac has no pre reqs (well kinda, you know what I mean), I can't see how they could deny me an invite. Then again, I couldn't see how UofT would either. UWO, it's just GPA right? Well, we shall see about that come May. As for Queens, well if I can't even get an interview at UofT, with their approach, I'm probably dead in the water.

Anyway, enough of my venting. Good luck to you all with the CAP.

Ok so I called UofT. I'm not invited.

Their words:

I completed a BSc in '09, tons of life, physical, social science and humanities courses. I'm taking 3 courses now: anatomy/physiology (completion will be April), as well as stats (took in 2004 so have to redo to meet their time requirement), as well as English to meet the requirement for UWO. My volunteer experience includes hundreds of hours in hospital/clinic. I've worked some sort of job since I was fifteen.

UofT says you need to meet the cut offs, which I did. You need to complete the pre req's which I have/am doing. They don't have hard requirements regarding extracurriculars, but I have those too. I asked them if I am disqualified from applying (essentially a different way of asking if they think I've fabricated any part of my app - not that I did, but if they thought so I feel I should have the right to defend my case), they said no, I can still apply next year, if I feel I've 'improved my application'

Anyway, I called before I got that email and they told me the same thing, reiterating that they cannot tell me exactly why. I'm still going to email the chair to see if I can get anymore info, though I doubt it will go anywhere.

I'm still in shock. I'm wondering now about the other schools. Mac has no pre reqs (well kinda, you know what I mean), I can't see how they could deny me an invite. Then again, I couldn't see how UofT would either. UWO, it's just GPA right? Well, we shall see about that come May. As for Queens, well if I can't even get an interview at UofT, with their approach, I'm probably dead in the water.

Anyway, enough of my venting. Good luck to you all with the CAP.

That's horrible news. Is it possible that you had a bad reference? I can't see any other reason for being denied an interview.

Archived