Premed 101 Forums

2012 Applicant thread

i got denied - it said cutoff for interviews was 3.75, and I have a 3.74. friiiiiiig, does anyone know how a waitlist works? would they tell you in the email if you were on it??

It is highly likely that you will get an MMI invite. Some of the students receiving initial MMI invites will decline for various reasons, at which point they will go down the waiting list. However, if you are going to be writing U of T's CAP, it might end up conflicting with the time/day. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it too much for now.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, I just remembered something else that happened last year. Some of the Queen's applicants were informed via email approximately 2 weeks before May 20th (I think it's the 18th this year?) that their application was not a competitive one, so anyone not receiving that email should remain hopeful of their chances at Queen's.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think a CAP/MMI scheduling conflict is a valid reason to re-schedule. It was my impression that they purposely did it as a way to reduce the list (Alberta has their MMI on the same day). Most of the time, CAP/MMI slots that are freed up/offered to waitlisted students are the timings that cause an MMI/CAP scheduling conflict.
I thought that one of the reasons for them having the secondary CAP day? I also thought that's why McMaster always sends their invitations out a week after UofT (to try to avoid scheduling conflicts).

I thought that one of the reasons for them having the secondary CAP day? I also thought that's why McMaster always sends their invitations out a week after UofT (to try to avoid scheduling conflicts).

Again, I might be wrong but when I read U of T's details, it mentioned that religious holidays and medical emergencies (with proper documentation) were the only thing they ever accepted towards a re-scheduling.

scram, i think he got completely rejected with no indication of waitlist. What did you mean about Queen's applications? I mean why would they send it out poor results early..what would their goal be?

I'm not sure why they would do it other than out of courtesy to those applicants so that the agonizing wait to hear back isn't made even longer.

You have to provide documentation from two sources to go to the make up day for CAP. I believe its meant for religious obligations but I know you can get it for other reasons as well.

I don't know if McMaster allows a make up day but I'm thinking it would be really difficult for them to reschedule an MMI day.

Wow its interesting that you can't reschedule the cap if your mmi falls on the same day. Has anyone had that happen, our know of someone who was in that situation?

I knew quite a few people who declined the MMI or CAP due to scheduling conflicts.

Hey guys! I'm wishing everyone the best of luck on your applications!

I was wondering if you guys have any tips for someone considering PT as a first year (visual arts) undergrad!

Also, any tips on getting into a clinic for volunteering? How did you approach it?

Hey guys! I'm wishing everyone the best of luck on your applications!

I was wondering if you guys have any tips for someone considering PT as a first year (visual arts) undergrad!

Also, any tips on getting into a clinic for volunteering? How did you approach it?

take some anatomy

clinics are usually pretty chill with taking in volunteers so just give them a call, drop off a resume

Definitely took an anatomy course this year, which was pretty good. I think I might take a few more.

Any ideas on how concurrent education/a BEd will affect a potential PT application down the line? Also, any tips for GPA? Is it essentially the same conversion as OMSAS?

Any idea, how the ORPAS system works? UofT, Mac, UWO, Queens have diff cut off? But they can offer same student? How is the WL work then? I am interested about Queens, as my GPA was not that high just above 3.5(sub)/3.6(cum). Do I have any chance?

Any idea, how the ORPAS system works? UofT, Mac, UWO, Queens have diff cut off? But they can offer same student? How is the WL work then? I am interested about Queens, as my GPA was not that high just above 3.5(sub)/3.6(cum). Do I have any chance?
Yeah all schools have different cutoffs and different methods of selection. The cutoff depends on the number of applicants. Since the schools have different prerequisites, they end up slightly different applicant pools (UofT and Mac usually have a couple hundred more than UWO and Queens.

UofT and Mac rank the applicants and then give out interview invites to the top 300ish applicants. The cutoff for Mac is usually slightly higher than UofT (probably because Mac has less, and very general, prerequisites). Their interview formats are both different as well, so somebody could hypothetically get into one school but not the other.

Queens has their applicants write an essay of sorts. It's not technically an essay, since they give you a few questions to answer and a character limit. It's to see you understanding of the profession, and your past experiences. Their admission process is more mysterious than all other schools since noone knows how they weigh the "essay". From my understanding, the better your essay the higher your chances of getting in with a lower GPA.

Western has the most transparent (in my opinion) application process of the 4 schools. Get a high GPA (3.78+) and good references and you can get in. Again, the cutoff depends on the applicant pool.

Since Ontario schools only look at your last 10 full credits, you can go back to school and take more courses to upgrade your marks.

Hope that helped!

curiosity question

anyone get a waitlist invite for mac MMI or UT CAP?

still waiting, they said when spots become available they will let people know - im assuming that they would have to wait until they could invite all the people at the next GPA level, ex. since the cutoff was 3.75, they would have to wait to send out interview invites until they had enough rejections to send out invites to all the applicants at 3.74 - thats just my guess

They probably have to wait for the deadline to respond to pass before giving out interviews for wait listed people. I think for mcmaster the last day to confirm is tomorrow and I forget what u of t's is but it's a bit later, maybe the 17th? I'd expect to hear around those times if not earlier

*edit: tomorrow is the 17th lol! Anyway, my point is its close to now

They probably have to wait for the deadline to respond to pass before giving out interviews for wait listed people. I think for mcmaster the last day to confirm is tomorrow and I forget what u of t's is but it's a bit later, maybe the 17th? I'd expect to hear around those times if not earlier

Are u waiting to hear back too?

No, I got a cap invite for the Saturday and my Mac mmi's are on the Sunday. I happen to know of a few people who declined invites though so there should be invites coming :)

Did these people decline the cap or mmi? I ask because I have a buddy who just missed out on a cap invite..

Hey, I noticed that there aren't very many OT applicants posting on this website. Are there any OT applicants going to Mac's MMIs at the end of the month? What do you recommend doing to prepare for these? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Hope to hear from someone soon! Thanks :)

I applied for ot as well at Mac! As far as I know the prep for mmi should be the same as for pt. I did an mmi at Mac for medicine last month and if it's anything similar there's really not much knowledge of the profession involved in the interview questions. More like critical thinking and such :) Hope that helps a bit! They're pretty vague in the emails but if you check the mmi threads for medicine here there's a decent amount of info

Archived