Premed 101 Forums

2012 Applicant thread

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone. I just found out about this site so I've just joined. Good luck to everyone tomorrow! I felt like I needed to talk to some people who are in the same boat as me right now lol.

subGPA: 3.89

schools applied to: Western, Mac, U of T, Queen's--PT and OT at both schools but I'm interested in PT. Mac is probably the first choice, but we'll see what they thought of my interview!

experiences: private clinics, special olympics track and field coach, personal trainer for a boy with spina bifida, spent time shadowing an OT in a hospital setting, currently working as a kin at a long term care facility (just got it two months ago, so unfortunately it didn't get to go on this year's application lol).

Again, good luck to everyone, and hopefully everyone's email inbox stays empty until AFTER midnight!

tomorrow.... midnight...wowwwwwww!

plans to kill the day? eat, workout, eat, watch a flick, eat, workout...walk around aimlessly for 2-3 hours?

I like your ideas, I'm planning to hit the gym for a few hours after work. Know any good movies? It will have to be pretty entertaining to capture my attention tomorrow lol. Good luck tomorrow all the best

Guest Physioprospect

they are all great schools, the one big downside to western compared to the other schools is that they base their entrance soley based on GPA so the people you get in the class might have no prior experience and not be well suited for a career in physio. I had a friend get accepted last year and really did not enjoy most of his classmates. But thats one opinion.

Will be accepting Western PT! Heard way too many good things from current students that meet my learning needs. TONS of guidance and profs are at your disposal!

GL to everyone, we are all going to fantastic programs and you cannot go wrong!

Time to look for a place! :) :) :) :)

Will be accepting Western PT! Heard way too many good things from current students that meet my learning needs. TONS of guidance and profs are at your disposal!

GL to everyone, we are all going to fantastic programs and you cannot go wrong!

Time to look for a place! :) :) :) :)

Hey, will share what's good things you've heard? I have read that Some applicants think UWOs average only and no interview is a bad way of selection.

In knowing a few people that go there they said they never had complaints about their classmates and they are close with all 50 people in the program.

Just because western does not interview does not mean the program is avergae/bad. I know that I do not have to work with all 50 people from my class when I graduate, so if there are some people that dont have great clinical skills, I am not forced to be with them post graduation (I feel this is blown out of proportion). All i know is, no matter what program the people who go to western are coming from, they rocked it! Having a majority of people with 3.85+ says nothing but hard work, dedication and persistance and the ABILITY to learn anything that comes their way, which means they can learn what physio is. Besides, they obviously had to have all the prerequisites.

Things that make Western great..

-6 weeks off in summer after last placement

-Mondays allow students to contact profs and book time with them to review one on one with material they may be struggling with

- all lectures are recorded so you can watch/listen if you missed or maybe when studying want to refresh yourself

-International placements include australia, south africa, kuwait, mexico or if you set up your own that is allowed

-still having learning teams that some assignments are done together with

-have the best ortho results on national exam out of all PT schools

-mondays, done your day before lunch

-friday first term done early (all depends on subject covering)

-one of 2 PT programs in Canada that is transferrable to the US (making it easier to find work there if that was somethign you wanted to do).

and the most important in MY eyes is the guidance given. All the pertinant information is given to you and you have tons of resources to make sure you are on the right track. This comes down to how you are as a learner. Do I think I could learn at Mac, yes, will I enjoy it as much, no. I could write a list out with positives for mac too but they just wont apply to me.

Guest Physioprospect

Great post wings, only thing I don't agree with is that having a 3.85 means you can learn anything... Degree difficulty plays a huge role, BSc in biology who got a 3.85 is a lot harder than someone with a 3.85 in phys ed

Great post wings, only thing I don't agree with is that having a 3.85 means you can learn anything... Degree difficulty plays a huge role, BSc in biology who got a 3.85 is a lot harder than someone with a 3.85 in phys ed

I can also agree with that as well. Im sure the majority of western students in PT are not phys ed majors though. Like most programs they are probably KIN, or science majors, and of course your odd language/arts people.

Does anyone know anything more about the breakdown of a PT students schedule at Mac? I'm wondering whether or not there are lectures, as well as the tutorial groups/SDL. I think I'll be attending Mac in the fall and am just hoping to hear a bit more about the program layout.

Hey guys,

I'm currently #6 on the waitlist for Queen's PT...

Does anyone know if I will be removed from the waitlist at Queen's PT if I provisionally accept UT's OT program?

You should be fine if its just a provisional acceptance. Judging from the amount of movement on just these forums you will definitely be offered a spot @ Queens.

Archived