Premed 101 Forums

2012 Applicant thread

I agree with all of you, it's extremely frustrating. Some undergrads are much easier, which can boost GPA's and then cause the students who have taken advanced classes (adv. biomech, adv. ex.phys) can be hurt by getting an A- in a course like that... Doesn't seem logical to me...

I was wondering if anyone knew whether DAL determines GPA after the interview by looking at the last 60ch or if they look at your overall GPA. I had my interview there yesterday and think it went pretty well but I just was wondering. Their website says:

"In principle, all applicants from the Atlantic Provinces whose applications are complete will be offered an interview. In the event that this is not administratively possible, the Admissions Committee will rank applicants by GPA based on the most recent 60 credit hours to make the interview offers. At a minimum, 112 interviews will be offered."

and then it goes onto say:

"Offers are based on the combined score of 25% interview and 75% GPA."

Am I wrong to assume that it is still the sub-gpa they would be looking at?

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with all of you, it's extremely frustrating. Some undergrads are much easier, which can boost GPA's and then cause the students who have taken advanced classes (adv. biomech, adv. ex.phys) can be hurt by getting an A- in a course like that... Doesn't seem logical to me...

I was wondering if anyone knew whether DAL determines GPA after the interview by looking at the last 60ch or if they look at your overall GPA. I had my interview there yesterday and think it went pretty well but I just was wondering. Their website says:

"In principle, all applicants from the Atlantic Provinces whose applications are complete will be offered an interview. In the event that this is not administratively possible, the Admissions Committee will rank applicants by GPA based on the most recent 60 credit hours to make the interview offers. At a minimum, 112 interviews will be offered."

Your best bet is probably to call or email them

It's the gpa of the last 60 hrs that they consider. I've actually been in contact with the admissions secretary regarding this.

They are letting in history majors as long as they have the perquisites. In 2005 they let 2 music therapy majors in, wow.

I Just simply CANNOT understand why people have this stigma against an undergrad in the arts and going into a health related field. It's as if never the twain shall meet!

I feel that having people of varied backgrounds is hugely important. It provides for alternative perspectives and approaches, and it prevents professions in general from becoming stale. Think of the creativity and hard work a music degree is, and then think about how useful that creativity could be in determining treatment plans, problem solving and SO many other things. Then think about how apparently they came from a music therapy program, those are transferable skills right there in dealing with people and working with them in a theraputic setting. I would feel like those are very valuable candidates.

It's one of my biggest pet peeves, but really, just because someone's done a fine art degree (or anything non-science) it doesnt mean that they are completely ignorant to the profession, or wont make for stellar and unique PTs.

Guest Physioprospect

I think there needs to be some sort of standardization test to level the playing field across the board at any school. For exàmple the class average for the degree I did was 67% where as the physed class avg was 82%... Seems a little unfair.

I think there needs to be some sort of standardization test to level the playing field across the board at any school. For exàmple the class average for the degree I did was 67% where as the physed class avg was 82%... Seems a little unfair.
Exactly, like the GREs for american PT schools, or MCAT, PCAT, DAT etc..

For the Mac MMI I felt that I did much better at some stations than others

As for the Cap, yeah the time just flew! On 2 occasions my computer lost connection and I lost whatever I wrote for that specific question. Nonetheless the coordinator was nice enough to give me a little more time to finish due to the technical difficulties.

Goodluck to all, the waiting now begins!

For the Mac MMI I felt that I did much better at some stations than others

As for the Cap, yeah the time just flew! On 2 occasions my computer lost connection and I lost whatever I wrote for that specific question. Nonetheless the coordinator was nice enough to give me a little more time to finish due to the technical difficulties.

Goodluck to all, the waiting now begins!

I had a similar issue during the cap. Did u get enough time to safely finish everything though?

I wouldn't say safely, because I am the type of person who likes to read over and edit my work. Unforunately with the cap I was not able to do that due to time constraints.

Fair enough. I felt it was too impersonal compared to the mmi as well.

definitely liked the MMI better

it was a more comfortable setting, and I'm the kind of person who likes talking a lot.

as for CAP, i felt very pressed for time. I think a lot of my time was taken up when I reached the character limit and needed to look back in other stuff that I had written down to shorten it and add some more points that I really wanted to include.

I also don't feel comfortable that I handed in a bunch of those without having the chance to read it over

Yeah although I cannot really tell how well I did in the MMI, I definitely enjoyed MMI better than CAP. The interviewers at Mac were really friendly and that really helped me feel more comfortable. Also, MMI does give you a chance to do better even if you mess up in one station. For the CAP, I did not like how they made some of us walk all the way to another building...And yeah I found the CAP harder than I expected it to be. Also I had technical problems four times during my test..haha

How far was the other building? I stayed in the same building for my CAP. I thought the questions were fine but definitely felt constrained by the time. I caught a few errors in the questions that I was able to edit but ran out of time to proof read the rest.

am i the only one who thought my CAP test went better than the MMI? I am definitely someone who is able to express myself better in writing than via an interviewer, so i thought the CAP test went really well for me. In contrast, i had a couple questions on the MMI that I thought were rather tough; there were 2 times where i said all i thought i could say under the 6 minutes and then it was just awkward silence because the interviewer didnt ask me anything hahaha

How far was the other building? I stayed in the same building for my CAP. I thought the questions were fine but definitely felt constrained by the time. I caught a few errors in the questions that I was able to edit but ran out of time to proof read the rest.

The other building was a 10-15 min walk.

am i the only one who thought my CAP test went better than the MMI? I am definitely someone who is able to express myself better in writing than via an interviewer, so i thought the CAP test went really well for me. In contrast, i had a couple questions on the MMI that I thought were rather tough; there were 2 times where i said all i thought i could say under the 6 minutes and then it was just awkward silence because the interviewer didnt ask me anything hahaha

Only 2 times? I finished early for every question haha

I agree about the awkward silences! I was waiting for prompting bc I ran out of things to say but she never prompted me! It just turned into an uncomfortable staring contest. LOL. Ugh, that MMI left me feeling rather uncertain about my future in September :(
Have you applied to other schools too? Don't read too much into the awkward silence. The interviewers are asked not to make small talk after you both are done talking

i enjoyed the MMI more than CAP too. Didnt have problem with time when writing the CAP but probably because I don;t have that much to say. One of the MMI station interviewers did not promp me any all..so i just paused for a few sec and started talking again

i enjoyed the MMI more than CAP too. Didnt have problem with time when writing the CAP but probably because I don;t have that much to say. One of the MMI station interviewers did not promp me any all..so i just paused for a few sec and started talking again

not prompting could be a good sign..it could mean that you are saying exactly what the interviewer wants!

but yea, I had those awkward moments a few times, but I decided to keep talking as well, figured every word I say counts!

not prompting could be a good sign..it could mean that you are saying exactly what the interviewer wants!

but yea, I had those awkward moments a few times, but I decided to keep talking as well, figured every word I say counts!

The scary thing is that he did not show any emotions at all. When i stopped talking he just started at me..so i figured the best way is to keep talking lol

The scary thing is that he did not show any emotions at all. When i stopped talking he just started at me..so i figured the best way is to keep talking lol

I really don't see there being any right answer for the MMI. I think you are marked on how you express yourself and how you can break down the situation.

hopefully there will be good news for everyone 18 days from now!

I don't think I had a stellar enough performance to put myself on top of other applicants, but I'm hoping there are a lot of premeds who applied to PT and that they will get accepted into med and decline their PT acceptances! :D

I really don't see there being any right answer for the MMI. I think you are marked on how you express yourself and how you can break down the situation.

hopefully there will be good news for everyone 18 days from now!

I don't think I had a stellar enough performance to put myself on top of other applicants, but I'm hoping there are a lot of premeds who applied to PT and that they will get accepted into med and decline their PT acceptances! :D

ditto haha

From talking to the students who were already admitted last year, and looking at past messages on this forum, I believe both Mcmaster and U of T, over accepted last year. I think the student I was talkin to told me that last year U of T accepted over 100 students (on the website it says 85 were supposed to be admitted), thinking that many would decline their offers, but in the end most of them chose to stay at U of T.

I hope they over accept again :D

From talking to the students who were already admitted last year, and looking at past messages on this forum, I believe both Mcmaster and U of T, over accepted last year. I think the student I was talkin to told me that last year U of T accepted over 100 students (on the website it says 85 were supposed to be admitted), thinking that many would decline their offers, but in the end most of them chose to stay at U of T.

I hope they over accept again :D

over acceptance seems unlikely..seeing that they did it last year..

i feel they will be more cautious about numbers this year..which is bad news for us :(

i have this thought that we have a lot of premeds in our pool of applicants! (hence GPA cutoff skyrocketting) sooo lets pray they get into med school!

anyone else holding their breath for the next 18 days?

Archived