Premed 101 Forums

2012 Applicant thread

Are you guys for real??? everyone in this forum has a GPA of over 3.8...... that seems crazy.

Anyone heard of people getting in with a lower GPA?

mine is 3.59 and Im keeping my hopes up.

if you have a GPA of 3.8 stop worrying you will get a chance to interview or write a CAP unless you have horrible references.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Physioprospect

sadly the GPA requirement is this field keeps sky rocketing. GPA alone is a terrible indicator of what will make a good therapist but I guess with hundreds of applications they have to have some way of making a cut off. Best of luck!

Are you guys for real??? everyone in this forum has a GPA of over 3.8...... that seems crazy.

Anyone heard of people getting in with a lower GPA?

mine is 3.59 and Im keeping my hopes up.

if you have a GPA of 3.8 stop worrying you will get a chance to interview or write a CAP unless you have horrible references.

are you applying to OT or PT?

I did not after numerous conversations with friends who are int he program or have just graduated with $160,000 debt and no job offers at the completion. Chiro is in the midst of changing its program to offer post chiro specialty programs. Right now, in only my opinion and from what I have gathered they are not competitive. With the addition of the College of Kinesiologists (Kinesiology regarded as profession) set for March 2013, all allied health fields will feel some pressure in securing their clients/patients.

They will be considered at the same level except coming out of an undergrad. All KIN programs will be in the process of changing their curriculum. Kinesiologists will not be working under anyone. The one subject they are supposedly the most knowledge about is exercise perscription.

*bump

Applied: Queen's, UWO, UT, Mac

sGPA: 3.82

What do you guys think of the cut-off for UWO? Seems like the GPA requirement is super high this year...

But then again, a lot of keeners post here :D

Yeah, that's the thing with this forum, not every applicant is on here, and of those who are here are the keener/gunner/highly informed type. I feel that those that post here with >3.8 are in the top 10% or so of GPAs applying.

I think it's pretty safe to say those with 3.80 or above are a lock for UWO at the bare minimum, maybe even 3.78 or so will get you in first round this year too, in my opinion. After that it all depends on waitlist movement as to what the lowest GPA will be (at least 3.70, probably higher though).

I'm curious to see what Mac and UofT's cuts will be. According to the ORPAS 2012 guide, Mac cut offs went down slightly in 2011 (3.67) compared to 2010 (3.70). UofT's jumped quite a bit in 2011 (3.68) compared to 2010 (3.63). Just goes to show how much things year by year with varying applicant pools.

I'm very curious to know what types of GPAs are getting in at Queens. I'm sure it's at least 3.60 but they seem to be more wholistic in their approach. At least with the other three you know what the breakdown is: UWO = straight GPA, UofT and Mac = GPA cut off for interview, then GPA:interview weighted 60:40 (UofT) or 25:75 (Mac). But Queens is such a wild card it seems, especially with them looking in some part at your cGPA along with your sGPA amongst other things such as the personal information score.

Yeah, that's the thing with this forum, not every applicant is on here, and of those who are here are the keener/gunner/highly informed type. I feel that those that post here with >3.8 are in the top 10% or so of GPAs applying.

I think it's pretty safe to say those with 3.80 or above are a lock for UWO at the bare minimum, maybe even 3.78 or so will get you in first round this year too, in my opinion. After that it all depends on waitlist movement as to what the lowest GPA will be (at least 3.70, probably higher though).

I'm curious to see what Mac and UofT's cuts will be. According to the ORPAS 2012 guide, Mac cut offs went down slightly in 2011 (3.67) compared to 2010 (3.70). UofT's jumped quite a bit in 2011 (3.68) compared to 2010 (3.63). Just goes to show how much things year by year with varying applicant pools.

I'm very curious to know what types of GPAs are getting in at Queens. I'm sure it's at least 3.60 but they seem to be more wholistic in their approach. At least with the other three you know what the breakdown is: UWO = straight GPA, UofT and Mac = GPA cut off for interview, then GPA:interview weighted 60:40 (UofT) or 25:75 (Mac). But Queens is such a wild card it seems, especially with them looking in some part at your cGPA along with your sGPA amongst other things such as the personal information score.

I didn't see the Mac figures in the ORPAS guide, which page are they on?

Edit: NVM, I used ctrl+f to find those figures.

Here's some more info regarding the number of applicants to UofT and Mac over the last 2 years:

Year 2010 2011

McMaster 1074 1098

UofT 1005 1063

I would have expected Mac to have higher GPA and a lot more applicants because there are considerably less barriers to applying (no references, barely any prerequisites).

I'm very curious to know what types of GPAs are getting in at Queens. I'm sure it's at least 3.60 but they seem to be more wholistic in their approach.

I applied to all of the PT schools last year and got rejected since I had a 3.65 at the time of application. The rejection email that I got from Mac had their cut-off for 2011 entry as 3.72 (higher than Toronto's stat as expected - more applicants, fewer prerequisites ). However, I did have a friend who was invited to interview a few days before the Mac MMI with a 3.68 because for whatever reason, some applicants declined the invitation to interview. I think this is why the published stat is at 3.67.

I am curious about Queens' stats as well - their admissions approach is certainly less predictable than the other schools. After getting all of my PT rejections, I decided to accept my offer to the PA program at Mac. There are a few students here who turned down PT for PA...we talked about admissions and what not, and oddly enough, neither of them were considered by Queens. I personally didn't meet the GPA requirements to make it into Mac, Toronto and Western, but I was waitlisted at Queens in the 20s. I'm obviously biased, but I thought that I had a very strong supplementary application...the only rationale I can fathom for not making it in or getting a lower number on the waitlist is my GPA - I suspect that it still plays a very large role in the process.

Good luck to everyone who applied this cycle. PT still has a big chunk of my heart so I'm always rooting for you guys! :)

wow you need bloody med school GPA's to get into these programs.

what are we looking at for EC's required?

also how many seats to each of the schools have?

thanks.

Queens is the only school that looks at ECs - I don't think there are any specific "requirements". I think that most applicants have experience volunteering in physiotherapy clinics or working with special populations. I remember reading that around 200 hours was typical, I applied with just over 500.

I think each of the schools have ~65-80 spots to offer.

I applied to all of the PT schools last year and got rejected since I had a 3.65 at the time of application. The rejection email that I got from Mac had their cut-off for 2011 entry as 3.72 (higher than Toronto's stat as expected - more applicants, fewer prerequisites ). However, I did have a friend who was invited to interview a few days before the Mac MMI with a 3.68 because for whatever reason, some applicants declined the invitation to interview. I think this is why the published stat is at 3.67.

I am curious about Queens' stats as well - their admissions approach is certainly less predictable than the other schools. After getting all of my PT rejections, I decided to accept my offer to the PA program at Mac. There are a few students here who turned down PT for PA...we talked about admissions and what not, and oddly enough, neither of them were considered by Queens. I personally didn't meet the GPA requirements to make it into Mac, Toronto and Western, but I was waitlisted at Queens in the 20s. I'm obviously biased, but I thought that I had a very strong supplementary application...the only rationale I can fathom for not making it in or getting a lower number on the waitlist is my GPA - I suspect that it still plays a very large role in the process.

Good luck to everyone who applied this cycle. PT still has a big chunk of my heart so I'm always rooting for you guys! :)

Do you have any idea of what the GPAs/ECs of your PA classmates was?

Degree does not matter.

However, Queens openly states (one of the few things they actually clearly state on their admissions page) that if two applicants are ranked the same (GPA, personal info score), then to tie break the, they will go with whoever has done more anatomy physiology courses.

But to reiterate, degree doesn't matter.

Thanks for this. Yeah I was looking back at last years acceptance thread, seeing people getting rejected from Queens with 3.78 GPAs, but there you were closer at WL 20s with a lesser GPA. I guess 3.70 and strong EC's do the trick there, but there is no way of knowing for sure.

I'm glad to hear you were accepted for PA, which is not an easy program to get into either.

Do you have any idea of what the GPAs/ECs of your PA classmates was?

Unfortunately, most people are quite vague about this...I think one had just over a 3.7, and the other was probably in the 3.7-3.8 range. As far as ECs, I don't know many specifics - both were kinesiology grads, one was on a Varsity team and had some volunteering experience in physio clinics, the other had a lot of volunteer/work experience built into her kinesiology program (physio clinics, cardiac rehab units, etc). Nothing extensive by any means, but certainly not terrible either. The one with the slightly lower GPA did not make it into Toronto after the CAP - she suspects that she was at a disadvantage due to their weighting formula (60% GPA, 40% CAP). Might I add that the friend that I was referring to earlier who just made the cut for the CAP and ended up getting a last minute interview to the MMI (which he didn't accept because it was such short notice did not make it through either. Queens emailed him and myself telling us to apply for the entrance scholarship a few weeks before admissions so we both thought that we had a good chance of getting in (my boyfriend did not receive this and was later rejected). Oddly enough, when admissions came, I was waitlisted and he was not. Perhaps this shouldn't have been a surprise to me (he didn't have many ECs) but I found it strange that they still sent him the scholarship email (why send this to someone who has no chance of getting in?).

Archived