Premed 101 Forums

2012 Applicant thread

Thanks for this. Yeah I was looking back at last years acceptance thread, seeing people getting rejected from Queens with 3.78 GPAs, but there you were closer at WL 20s with a lesser GPA. I guess 3.70 and strong EC's do the trick there, but there is no way of knowing for sure.

I'm glad to hear you were accepted for PA, which is not an easy program to get into either.

Thanks :) I am enjoying the program so far, but of course, I have my doubts every once in a while...I think that's probably normal considering how long I have wanted to do PT. I thought about declining the PA offer and applying again this cycle but I wanted to keep an open mind and explore PA further seeing that PA is a growing profession and does share some similarities with PT. If my heart still has doubts after a few years, I might find myself back here applying again. I'd like to think that I would have a good shot of getting in next time with a 3.75 and >2000 hours of clinical experience - if not, well then I really don't have a clue what they are looking for :P

I know another poster on here was listed in the high 30s for Queens...I believe their ECs were almost identical to mine but their GPA was 0.2 lower. It must be a tight race!

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know we are all really nervous about cut offs, because they seem to be getting ridiculously high. But I have also heard of people with GPA below cutoff that got CAP invitations for UofT in previous years. Strong reference letters play an important role too.

I don't think it's a clear cut.

Any idea about dates to expect invitations/rejections?

Last week of March, first of April?

Guest Physioprospect

Its more about lifestyle than money. I was going to go for Med but the lifestyle.. other than a few specialties did not agree with me. Physios at the clinic I work at make good money and work 7-2 then have the rest of the day to do whatever they want. Every physician I know is stressed to the max. Sure you get a couple great holidays a year but I'd trade a great everyday working life for that.

Its more about lifestyle than money. I was going to go for Med but the lifestyle.. other than a few specialties did not agree with me. Physios at the clinic I work at make good money and work 7-2 then have the rest of the day to do whatever they want. Every physician I know is stressed to the max. Sure you get a couple great holidays a year but I'd trade a great everyday working life for that.

Funny that you mention that. I gave a similar response recently to a physician who asked why I went for PA over MD - he basically shot down my arguments and told me I could have whatever lifestyle and whatever job I wanted as long as I found the right colleagues to support me. He told me he worked 9AM-2PM and then spent the rest of his time hanging out at home with his dogs. While I can see his point to an extent, I think PT lends itself to this type of lifestyle more easily. Granted...I also know PTs who work 8AM-7PM six days a week so obviously it varies. I do however have trouble picturing how the lifestyle he described would be possible in certain specialties...

I have also heard of people with GPA below cutoff that got CAP invitations for UofT in previous years.

I think this might happen when some of their initial offers get declined. I barely missed the cut last year and was never contacted...I don't think a lot of people decline the CAP. As far as references go, I was under the impression that they more or less screened them for red flags or considered them in their decision when all other factors were equal - I'm sure the references sound more or less the same between applicants. Coming from UofT where everything is all about GPA, I find it hard to believe that they would rely heavily on something so subjective. I'd be curious to know when these people applied and what their GPAs were just because personally, I have never heard of anyone below the cutoff being given an invite unless they were just moving down the GPA ranks to fill up any declined offers.

Of course, there's no use worrying about GPA now - the cutoff can vary a lot from year to year and who knows for how long this upward trend will continue!

I know we are all really nervous about cut offs, because they seem to be getting ridiculously high. But I have also heard of people with GPA below cutoff that got CAP invitations for UofT in previous years. Strong reference letters play an important role too.

I don't think it's a clear cut.

Any idea about dates to expect invitations/rejections?

Last week of March, first of April?

Re: people with less than cutoffs getting interviews because of non-academic criteria, or is it a case of people getting interviews last minute because others have declicned an interview?

As the website states,

There is an initial screening of the academic qualifications that narrows the pool of applicants. Only top applicants (ranked initially by marks) are invited to write the Computer Administered Profile (CAP)*on-site*at the University of Toronto '.

I think that is about as clear cut as it gets. Even when determining admission into the program they clearly state,

Enrolment selection is based on a combination of CAP exam score weighted*at 40% and GPA weighted*at 60%, along with a file review

Again, they admit that 100% of the weighting for determining who gets in is marks and interview. The file review seems like a formality and just a last check to make sure your references haven't said anything like 'don't admit this person, they are a sociopath'. Unlike say Queens who use a more wholistic approach, Mac, UofT and UWO are pretty clear cut in their admissions process (mostly grades and interview if applicable).

Whether or not this GPA heavy admissions process is the best method of selection is another issue altogether, but make no mistake, it would appear that having a GPA below 3.70 will leave one with very little chance of getting into PT in Ontario, no matter how strong their ECs and references are.

What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

subgpa 3.75

applied to: Mac, UT, Queens, Western, UofA

volunteer experience: physio clinic, stroke rehab, spinal cord rehab

and regarding your post about 3.5 getting into queens..did anyone get in with that last year?

subgpa 3.75

applied to: Mac, UT, Queens, Western, UofA

volunteer experience: physio clinic, stroke rehab, spinal cord rehab

and regarding your post about 3.5 getting into queens..did anyone get in with that last year?

I'm not sure about the last year, but I know that it has happened. Queens has a sub and cumulative GPA cutoff. Last year it was 3.5 and 3.0 I believe. From what I've gathered, anyone with GPAs over that mark can get in, but they have to have a very very good personal statement and references.

Guest Physioprospect

Did anyone recieve confirmation from U of A of the reciept of all your application materials? I logged onto Bear Tracks today and it had a list of all stuff that was completed as well as oustanding and I wasnt sure which was which? It says no where that these items were recieved

Did anyone recieve confirmation from U of A of the reciept of all your application materials? I logged onto Bear Tracks today and it had a list of all stuff that was completed as well as oustanding and I wasnt sure which was which? It says no where that these items were recieved

if you go to your supplementary application, there should be notes on the top that say what has been received from you

They don't use bear tracks

Guest Physioprospect

Ahhh thanks very much. Anyone know the typical stats of someone applying OOP that's is accepted. As there is only ~10 seats it must be competetive

Alberta MMI invites coming out this week!

Invitations for the Multiple Mini Interview on April 21, 2012 will be sent out via email the week of March 19, 2012 to University of Alberta email accounts.

I thought the invitations are sent out in early April?

Are you sure, pthopeful15?

I just called U of A office, and they said they can't tell me what is GPA cutoff for OOP students. She just told me to check my email at the end of this week, and said she can't reveal that information..

If it's 3.8, wow it is higher than ontario schools..that's shocking.

Are you sure, pthopeful15?

I just called U of A office, and they said they can't tell me what is GPA cutoff for OOP students. She just told me to check my email at the end of this week, and said she can't reveal that information..

If it's 3.8, wow it is higher than ontario schools..that's shocking.

yep im sure, i emailed way back in january - i may have to backtrack when I say interview is 3.8+, but she did say that the applicants that got in from OOP were 3.8+ - only a limited number of spots for OOP applicants

yep im sure, i emailed way back in january - i may have to backtrack when I say interview is 3.8+, but she did say that the applicants that got in from OOP were 3.8+ - only a limited number of spots for OOP applicants

Hi pthopeful 15

Just to be clear, is it 3.8 out of 4.0 scale? That's interview cutoff, or admitted applicant's gpa standing?

Either way, OMG, that is awefully high..

Archived