Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

Anyone a Bethune Peer Mentor/Tutor or basically on any spot on Bethune SOS? I applied to a lot of those positions and got interviews for them but unfortunately got denied a position at pretty much everywhere. I asked after each interview for some feedback and they said I could email them and they would help me out. I told them they wouldn't care about me after I left this room and wouldn't know my name in a week so they might as well tell me my feedback now...they still told me to go to the email route. I Emailed the guy after he rejected my peer tutoring app after the interview and I haven't got a reply (god damn liars those people smh).

I was hoping to get an idea of what they are looking for in those positions. I'm a first year so I would very much like to apply next year but I don't know how to improve. If anyone on the Bethune SOS team knows what you guys look for in the interview steps so that I can prepare myself next time and can tell me this info, that would be much appreciated. I didn't really prep too hard because I didn't know how to and I would like some info so I'm not totally out of the dark. Ty in advance for your replies ^_^

If that's actually how it went down then I sense attitude + entitlement, maybe be a little nicer at your next interview lolz

Andre is usually good at replying in a timely manner. Sometimes shit just gets lost in inboxes.

Did you answer your questions well? What did you wear to the interviews?

I wore a dress shirt, tie and dress pants to the interview and I actually felt like I did well in the peer tutoring interviews in general. My mock tutoring may have been shaky but I am certain that the panel interview and the surprise question portions went very well. In the mock tutoring interview, they told me to smile more and I'm like wow is that really a criteria? Whatever, caught me off guard and I'll be ready for it next time. When I'm saying that the interviews went well, it's purely from my opinion and perspective. One of the guys said that he was was watching a khan academy video by the way I tutored which is like the best thing anyone's ever said about my tutoring lol.

But yea I did email him and it's been a while. I will email the other rejection letters as they pile up (sad yeah I know) and see how that goes but I just posted here to see if anyone has any insider perspective I could learn off of.

I wore a dress shirt, tie and dress pants to the interview and I actually felt like I did well in the peer tutoring interviews in general. My mock tutoring may have been shaky but I am certain that the panel interview and the surprise question portions went very well. In the mock tutoring interview, they told me to smile more and I'm like wow is that really a criteria? Whatever, caught me off guard and I'll be ready for it next time. When I'm saying that the interviews went well, it's purely from my opinion and perspective. One of the guys said that he was was watching a khan academy video by the way I tutored which is like the best thing anyone's ever said about my tutoring lol.

But yea I did email him and it's been a while. I will email the other rejection letters as they pile up (sad yeah I know) and see how that goes but I just posted here to see if anyone has any insider perspective I could learn off of.

If you actually said that they will forget about you after the interview, that may be what cost you the position. The other option is the courses you were applying for. Some courses like Bio 1000/1001 have so many tutors, and almost no one asks for help in those courses. I don't think they took on many PTs for those courses.

Chem courses always need tutors.

If that's actually how it went down then I sense attitude + entitlement, maybe be a little nicer at your next interview lolz

Idk that may have come off as attitude and entitlement but I did phrase it as nicely as I could. I don't think they took any offence to it...hopefully lol. I really don't know how else to improve my interviews. I find it hard to self-evaluate because I am only looking through one perspective and it occurred to me that the best way to get critique on how I handled myself was from the people who are recruiting me directly. I brought up the idea to them and they suggested I stay for lunch but the interviews were running very behind and I could not say till 5-6 pm on a weekend for that. 

I think the sentence i quoted there is very true although a little blunt. They don't have any reason to remember me after the interviews unless they plan on hiring me which they didn't. They said they have notes on file about my performance and I would very much like to see them but I probably can't lol. Also, I meant to say it in a way that saves us both time; they can take 2-3 minutes to really tell me what i did bad, what they were really looking for and what I did well. It's not like I can go back to that station now knowing what I just heard. I'll probably say it in a better way next time tho lol. 

Thanks for your reply man! I'm just trying to find personal growth through all of this but don't really know the way of doing it yet.

If you actually said that they will forget about you after the interview, that may be what cost you the position. The other option is the courses you were applying for. Some courses like Bio 1000/1001 have so many tutors, and almost no one asks for help in those courses. I don't think they took on many PTs for those courses.

Chem courses always need tutors.

I applied for a lot of the courses, even chem. That may have been what cost me a spot but to me, I thought it was a perfectly reasonable thing to say at the time. I guess I'll watch my words carefully next time though. Thanks for your reply!

Did they ask you what a taylor series is?

LOL NO DEAR GOD. They asked me to explain the relation between a limit and a derivative. I had a really good calculus teacher in high school so I could explain it really well and I felt like that was the best section of my interview. 

LOL NO DEAR GOD. They asked me to explain the relation between a limit and a derivative. I had a really good calculus teacher in high school so I could explain it really well and I felt like that was the best section of my interview. 

MeGusta is Andre in disguise.

I heard that one of the interviewees told them that they could ask him the hardest math question available as the surprise question. They asked him to explain what a taylor series is. He said he didn't know.

MeGusta is Andre in disguise.

I heard that one of the interviewees told them that they could ask him the hardest math question available as the surprise question. They asked him to explain what a taylor series is. He said he didn't know.

Isn't THAT what attitude is? lol

I'm going to try to help out at the next set of interviews. I'll make sure to ask you the toughest question I can think of :lol:

Damnnm people hatin on my struggle for ECs. It's okay BRUH if I figure out it's you, ill just walk in and take all those complimentary spring rolls they give to the interviewers. That'll get you for sure lol

Anyone ever find that profs use exam questions that come from a test bank for a textbook?

Psych 1010 and Econ 10xx

If anyone takes biol2020 with kubieski, he uses questions from an online test bank, but sometimes the website goes down. Just google a question from one of his old tests, and you'll find it.

OK. Have feeling this prof will since they simply reuse the slides that the textbook publisher provides since I can find numerous instances of these slides online. Shit like this pisses me off. Students are expected to produce original work but profs can rip material and exam content from others?

Rofl. How am I not surprised? Fuck I can't stand her. "Nice" enough but sooo lazy and I can barely understand what she says half the time. Had cognition with her and all she did was read off the slides AND there were attendance marks! Teaching something to bridge the textbook for frig sakes!