Premed 101 Forums

What to do this summer..so confused!

Hello everyone!

Im sure many of us are already applying for summer jobs but I really am very confused as to what I should do this summer and I was hoping to get some feedback from people here:

1) I know reserach is important, how competitive is the CREMS summer research program at UofT? I dont have a lot of hardcore science research experience to begin with so im not sure if i'd make a good crems candidate

2) If I end up doing research in the humanities/global health is that necessarily a bad thing?

3) How important is research if im aiming for something like paeds and im open to going outside of ontario?

4) How much time should I be spending doing ECs in the summer and how important are ECs come CaRMs time?

5) Has anyone on this baord participated in global health type research (outside of the CREMS program)? I really am interested in it but seems like there is very little oppurtunities out there, or more likely the case, im just not aware of whats out there.

Thank you! These are the few of many questions i am sure i will have later

Research is minimally important. Everyone I know who matched to peds had zero research.

Even for the uber competitive specialties it's below 5 or so other things as to level of importance.

ECs are even less important.

Plus, as far as most committees seem to be concerned a case report or two us just as good on the application as some cross sectional or cohort study.

My advice, go enjoy your summer. Take a trip. Play some sports. BBQ. Drink beer. Party. You won't regret it. If you really need to do some research, don't let it dominate your summer. Summer after first and second year is like a gift. Don't waste it working. You'll have clerkship, residency and practice to do that.

I don't think it's possible to generalize across specialties and programs. Some may look to your research or ECs as indicators of motivation/work ethic/ability to work with others, and some may not. Preferably, this means having accomplished something besides just showing up.

If you are interested in global health, I encourage you to look into it further. I think most schools have an office of global/international health as well as student groups, which should offer opportunities for student extracurricular involvement as well as research. Arts and humanities in medicine is a burgeoning field as well. I think this would add uniqueness and value to your application. It doesn't cost you to apply (and you are already a medical student), so I wouldn't shy away due to competition if you have a true interest.

I don't know how certain you are of your career interests, but it might be worth trying to contact people in those fields for input. If someone told me they were applying to radiology, I would certainly encourage them to consider doing a project where they will get to know people in the department, as it's harder for students to become well known during radiology electives than in other fields. You'll still have the summer after 4th year to do whatever you want.

What is the goal of doing the CREMS thing? Do you want to do a particular field that has emphasis in global health like EM or GS or whatever?

I'm guessing its the common feeling of anxiety and herd mentality that most pre-clerks get. If it's something that'll end up on the dean's list, kids are signing up hand over foot whether it's good or not.

Sorry I should have mentioned that CREMS is a UofT summer research program for medical students. I have provided the link below for more info

http://crems.med.utoronto.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=62

Thanks for the tips above guys, i was talking to someone today and she told me to not work in a science lab this summer at all because it wont help for CaRMs especially if im not too sure on what specialty I want to go into. She told me to shoot for clinical research where there is patient contact because this is actually seen as a benefit during CaRMs interviews because they care more about how you are with patients. Can someone verify this or expand on this info?

Depends on the project.

Do something that you enjoy, with a supervisor/supervisors with whom you have good rapport (preferably including a clinician in your area of interest), and that has a good possiblility of a tangible accomplishment (i.e. publication/presentation, preferably first author).

Clinical research is more likely to fulfill these criteria, but I wouldn't cite patient contact as an advantage - your clerkship evaluations and references are going to be better evidence of your patient skills.

I know the majority of your questions concerned research, but I just wanted to point out that there are other things you can do. You could try a foreign exchange, taking some courses just for fun (grades don't really count anymore!), going on the Explore exchange within Canada to learn some French for free, or doing a family medicine elective - these can be good experiences at the pre-clerk level, too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived