Premed 101 Forums

Just rejected by all med schools I applied to, need some help/advice

After Western released its cut-offs, I have officially been rejected by all 6 different medical schools I applied to (Mac, Queesn, Ottawa, UT, UWO, Manitoba).

I tried to prepare myself for this, but nothing beats seeing all 6 rejections laying in front me. The cocktail of defeat, depression and frustration is really starting to affect me, I think even physically:( . Right now I have no plan for the future; not sure what to do next to improve my chances. I could really use some advice/guidance.

Here is my situation. BSc completed. Best two years GPA 3.88 OMSAS, 3.91 non-OMSAS; cGPA 3.67 (OMSAS), 3.71 non-OMSAS. MCAT 35R. VR10

Toronto resident, so no real geographical preference from any schools…

IMO below average ECs/ generic ECs. Community and hospital volunteer. Couple of research experiences. A few clubs here and there.

Currently in the gap year. Unsure whether if I should do a Msc. Will that help my situation in any significant way?

I am also starting to think about U.S schools. But I’m not sure if my stats are good enough, since they take very few Canadians.

I would really appreciate any recommendations, perhaps point me in the right direction.

Thanks for the reply. The thing is Idont know a lot of good ECs to do. The stuff I know are the things that all premeds know/have done. Can anyone provide some suggestions as to where to look, or examples of what you have done that was particularly rewarding?

as a non-trad myself I don't have a lot of EC's as least from a volunteering perspective but I have 3 things that I've done fairly consistently several years and way before I wanted to pursue medicine:

Coach youth football. Something I love and am passionate about

Coach youth hockey. Again something I love and am passionate about

Big Brother (currently taking time off but will be starting again next fall) Is something I love, had one when I grew up so I feel it my right to give back (pay it forward)

Volunteer at Food Bank. Something near and dear to my heart having had to use them when I was growing up so I try to give back

I try to find things that I can identify with and that mean something to me. I don't know if these EC's will cut the mustard from an Adcoms perspective but I refuse to pad my application with crap I don't care about. I will not become that person.

So find some things you care about and that you identify with and then you'll figure out where you can put your time :)

Have you considered working for a while?

I know for me, it was my work experience that gave my app the oomph that my grades did not. And that way, you hopefully won't feel like you're just wasting time until you get into med.

Sucks to get all those rejections at once. Just know you're not alone, and read some of the awesome success stories on this board for inspiration!

Hi!

I think Aaronjw hit the nail on the head with his comments. I personally love fitness, and it is a huge part of my ECs both volunteered and paid.The trick is to find things that you like and do those things. I will make your CV look more cohesive and focused and less like you just padded it with activities that you thought an admissions committee would want to see.

I also agree that a masters might help boost you a bit, but only if you are passionate about it. Doing a masters is a significant commitment and should not be taken on if you are not interested in it for the degree itself.

With your stats, in any case, I think you will eventually get in if you keep trying. Good luck!

Hi Essential,

Rejection is always hard, no matter how big or small they are...

I would ask these questions first:

Is medicine worth extra 3 years (gap year + 2 years MSc) of waiting? I think you would use your gap year to ponder if this really would be the right profession.

If medicine is not worth all these years and you are aware of the fact that those years might be a waste with no possibility of winning bet, I think you should look for other profession. I'm speaking from experience. No money, student debt.... miserable days, months ,years... I've completely isolated myself, because I'm too ashamed to talk about where I am right now in my life.

If you are prepared for living with some down time, I think you should do your MSc in Alberta.

The reason why I say this, my MCAT and GAP is not as good as yours but I think I got my interview because I have MSc... (no publication, just international conference). So I do think MSc give extra edge compared to just Bachelor's degree or second degree (guy with comparatively better GPA and MCAT than my own stat, but was pursuing second degree was rejected interview and this made me think that perhaps it was the Msc that gave me the edge).

I say Alberta, because then you open up your option for Calgary and Alberta, which no doubt, you will get interview from.

I think you should look for possible EC now + part time job + search potential supervisor now.

September, start school in Alberta, so that you will have IP advantage. Wait one year, apply in your second year MSc.

I wish you luck and I hope we would run into each other in medicine :o

Don't worry about the rejections, it hurts, but it happens- I was rejected from all 5 schools I applied to last year. This year its 4/6, waiting on 1 response, and 1 interview- it only takes one interview though to give you a shot. Hop on team persistence if medicine is absolutely what you want to do with your life.

Now that we've gotten that decided, on to the options:

Really, your GPA is reasonable, its quite a bit higher than some of us with interviews (this guy) and those who have been accepted in the past. Your last 2 years are stellar, your MCAT is great. So we need to deal with non-academic issues first and foremost I would say. Traditional pre-med activities are perfectly fine if that's what you're passionate about... if not, then you need to find something that you love doing. Find out whatever that is (try different things)- there are tons of possibilities, and then jump in and REALLY get involved. This does two things, 1) you rack up hours because you actually like what you're doing and 2) you show that you really care about what you're doing and will probably get a great reference from it.

In terms of the M.Sc. option, I can speak to that because I have one of those as well. It opened up the door for me to some schools (Queen's and Toronto) despite being blow their undergrad cut-offs. You, however, are within striking distance of those schools even without the M.Sc. Still though, it can add strength to your application without question- publications are huge, research is huge, and gaining quality references is huge. BUT- you need to be passionate about what you're doing just like the volunteering. If you do it solely for entry to med school you will hate it and regret it. There are many of us on the boards who found ourselves unhappy during graduate work. I didn't do it to get into med, I thought I wanted to do research and found out it really wasn't for me midway through (science makes me happy, not working with people makes me sad). If you find something you really are interested in and are willing to put the med pursuit on pause, then go for it and enjoy.

If you have questions that you think I might be able to help with, fire me a PM. Make a plan, stay positive, and use these forums- they're a wonderful resource.

Good luck!!!

There isn't much more to be said. All the above posters have given excellent advice on how to improve your application. My only advice is don't give up if this is what you truly want to do. Getting rejected is tough (I'm 0/3 this year), but don't think of it as a failure. It really isn't. You gave it your best shot and that takes courage. Look at it as a learning experience. Now you have the opportunity to critically look at your application, identify strengths and weaknesses, and improve upon it. Whatever you decide for next year, choose something that you actually want to do. It'll make you life much more fulfilling and it will show in your applications.

Thanks a lot everyone for the advice and encouragement. I really appreciate all the comments. Feel a lot better after reading the replies. I think I will go with the Msc. I have always liked research. I think during undergrad I was so focuse on doing the generic premed things that I forgot the things I really liked to do. Its time to pick those up.

Thanks again:) .

After Western released its cut-offs, I have officially been rejected by all 6 different medical schools I applied to (Mac, Queesn, Ottawa, UT, UWO, Manitoba).

I tried to prepare myself for this, but nothing beats seeing all 6 rejections laying in front me. The cocktail of defeat, depression and frustration is really starting to affect me, I think even physically:( . Right now I have no plan for the future; not sure what to do next to improve my chances. I could really use some advice/guidance.

Here is my situation. BSc completed. Best two years GPA 3.88 OMSAS, 3.91 non-OMSAS; cGPA 3.67 (OMSAS), 3.71 non-OMSAS. MCAT 35R. VR10

IMO below average ECs/ generic ECs. Community and hospital volunteer. Couple of research experiences. A few clubs here and there.

Currently in the gap year. Unsure whether if I should do a Msc. Will that help my situation in any significant way?

I am also starting to think about U.S schools. But I’m not sure if my stats are good enough, since they take very few Canadians.

I would really appreciate any recommendations, perhaps point me in the right direction.

I am shocked that nobody is supporting the US option.

Do NOT move to Alberta just to get an interview at UAlberta or UCalgary. That's ludicrous. Why would you live somewhere else for a year solely to get an interview?! I'm actually reeling from the fact that someone suggested that.

And I agree with that poster that said that you shouldn't do an MSc just for a better chance or "something to do". It's a serious undertaking as a graduate degree.

I'm not sure whether there's an actual problem in your application but from the general stats you've presented - you sound like an excellent applicant for maybe a dozen State-side schools. Do some research on them and prepare to re-apply would be my suggestion. In the mean time, take the EC advice of some of the other posters; it's good stuff.

Good luck!

You sound like moving and living in Alberta is some catastrophic last resort thing that no one would ever want to do. It's much more palatable than coming out with school debt that's 3 times as much.

My sentiments exactly. I've known several members of these forums who have done just that with success. This obviously requires careful planning, i.e. they found a job before just moving there willy-nilly, but it substantially increases your chances and it does so immediately. IP status goes to Alberta residents who will have lived for one year in Alberta by the time they start med school- i.e. you can move there and apply with IP status immediately.

The U.S. is an option, but for some it simply isn't economically feasible. 50-60k tuition x 4 years = 200-240k, most banks will only give 250k LOCs, add in student loans and you're still looking at a max of 12k extra per year. The guys on the American forum here have heard of some getting 350k, but that's with parents putting up the house. But if the OPs parents have deep pockets then obviously the US is a good option. If not, it would require even more careful planning than a move to Alberta in terms of financing. Besides it was just ONE possible course of action and depends on what the OP wants to do and what other considerations they have to make (family, job, other commitments).

I agree with the Alberta plan.

I moved to Northern Ontario to increase my chances to NOSM. I thought I would be consindered IP after 1 year ... I was sadly mistaken. Having said I finally became considered a northern ontario resident, this past application cycle, and have a covetted interview invite. It can be done.

I am not in yet but I am closer than ever.

Beef

1. You can write your MCATs again, you showed that you're already capable of achieving a great score and you're close to the Western cut-off.

2. Work on your EC's in the mean time

3. Apply to a graduate program if you're interested (there maybe some 1 year/course based masters if research doesn't suit you)

4. Apply to US schools like the other posters have mentioned

GL!

I agree with the Alberta plan.

I moved to Northern Ontario to increase my chances to NOSM. I thought I would be consindered IP after 1 year ... I was sadly mistaken. Having said I finally became considered a northern ontario resident, this past application cycle, and have a covetted interview invite. It can be done.

I am not in yet but I am closer than ever.

Beef

How many years did it take you to be considered a N.O. resident by their standards?

Archived