Premed 101 Forums

What percentage of interviewees get accepted?

It says on their website somewhere that they interview 450 students each year. They manipulate their cutoffs with each year's pool so that they will only get ~450 that are invited.

yup that is correct! That is roughly speaking 2.5 times the number of spots we have which gives us enough of a pool that we can select from.

Also wondering whether Western has published demographics of incoming class in recent years. Want to know the acceptance rate for SWOMEN applicants

sure - how much detail would you like?

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/schulichhome/aboutus/files/Deans-newsletters/Deans_Report_April2010.pdf

is for my class (meds 2013) that is about 30 percent swomen

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/schulichhome/deansnewsletters/files/Documents/Schulich%20Dean-s%20Report_FINAL.pdf

is for the class of 2014. We won't have the 2015s for a bit yet as they usually come out in the spring.

Swomen applicants usually are above 50% for sure in getting offers. It was around 75% for the 2014s for instance.

really?

But everyone who meets the cutoffs are offered interview...how does this work? because I assumed >400 around 700 to be honest.

no those cut offs do their job :) 450-500 is a good range to imagine you are working with I would think. We don't set the cut offs to be exactly 450 (heheheh can you imagine a GPA of 3.712 just to make it perfectly 450 :) We aren't that concerned)

It says on their website somewhere that they interview 450 students each year. They manipulate their cutoffs with each year's pool so that they will only get ~450 that are invited.

so only 450 people who apply every year will have the 11 VR and the 3.7+ in one of their year?? That sounds a bit low?

maybe 11 VR is very hard to get..

so only 450 people who apply every year will have the 11 VR and the 3.7+ in one of their year?? That sounds a bit low?

maybe 11 VR is very hard to get..

i agree that that seems odd, but isn't an 11 in any section is like the 80th percentile or something? so that slices a bunch of people out of the picture. but as dassy said, they tailor their cuts. they're automatically putting anyone with a 9 in BS out. i'm sure there are lots of people with XX ps 11 vr and 9 BS or XX ps 11 vr XX bs N WS. i think it's the specific contribution of every component.

but, yeah, isn't an 11 in verbal (especially, for a lot of people, at least) a pretty solid mark to begin with?

i agree that that seems odd, but isn't an 11 in any section is like the 80th percentile or something? so that slices a bunch of people out of the picture. but as dassy said, they tailor their cuts. they're automatically putting anyone with a 9 in BS out. i'm sure there are lots of people with XX ps 11 vr and 9 BS or XX ps 11 vr XX bs N WS. i think it's the specific contribution of every component.

but, yeah, isn't an 11 in verbal (especially, for a lot of people, at least) a pretty solid mark to begin with?

Yeah the Vr 11 is around the 85 percentile of all those taking a particular testing.

Does anyone know if the swomen interview/acceptance rates stay about the same from year to year? Doing a quick calculation from 2010's stats, it seems like swomens have a 75% acceptance rate and non-swomens hover around 28%. So I guess Western isn't necessarily one of the "better interviews to get" if you're swomen...

Does anyone know if the swomen interview/acceptance rates stay about the same from year to year? Doing a quick calculation from 2010's stats, it seems like swomens have a 75% acceptance rate and non-swomens hover around 28%. So I guess Western isn't necessarily one of the "better interviews to get" if you're swomen...

You mean if you're non-swomen...

28%? That sounds grim.

I am still thankful for the interview offer, but acceptance still seems like a tall order as a non-SWEMEN

hmm lets see : (2014 class data, most recent)

interviewed Accepted %

totalish interviewed 450 171 0.38

SWOMEN 106 67 0.632075472

NON SWOMEN 344 104 0.302325581

Now that is actually a bit skewed because for instance yes we accept 104 non swomen in the end BUT that isn't the total we actually accepted as some people turn down western for somewhere else (ie we must have accepted more than 30% of the non swomen applicants as some didn't accept us). I don't know what the true stat would be but it is not uncommon for multiple schools to accept the same person. People can guess how much higher than 30% the true value is.

wow that is pretty extreme :)

Its a highly competitive world out there in the real world for top notch young professionals. Recruitment of Policy Leaders Program (RPL) is the elite way to enter federal government service for the highest placements, levels of responsibility and greatest impact and future. The government tailor makes a position for accepted candidates and they accept a max of 50 applicants annually. The competition is fierce as they seek the best available brains in Canada. A basic requirement is that, applicants must have participated in multiple extra-curricular activities in a leadership capacity or made a significant contribution to society. And to work for the UN as a young professional, there are far more experienced and well qualified persons available for any given professionasl position. Top notch candidates are rountinely rejected. This is the world in which we live.

Archived