Premed 101 Forums

People who slip through the cracks

Guest frustratedpremed

Guest frustratedpremed

I was wondering if there are people who get into medical school, but really shouldn't. By that I mean people who want to pursue a career in medicine not because they want to help people, but because they are motivated by the monetary reward.

I know people who say they want to become doctors because they earn alot of money. These people also have not really done any extra-curriculars or anything to show that they are fit for this kind of career other than getting extremely stellar grades. As well, these are people who plan on making up their list of EC's and having family/friends write them LORs.

I just get frustrated at people like this who say they want to get into medical school and because they think they can just cause they get super high marks, whereas there are other people like me who do a lot more, but because my marks aren't that high, I feel like I would be left out.

I guess I'm just asking if anyone here know of people who got into med school really just through luck.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting the marks required to get into med school isn't luck, it's hard work. While I don't agree with people making up the EC's, motivation is motivation. Just because you are passionate about helping people (person A) doesn't make you more qualified than somehow who is motivated through the monetary rewards (person B) of med school.

For example, let's say I'm more passionate about basketball than Allen Iverson. I care about practice yadda yadda yadda, while he doesn't. Does that make me more qualified to play in the NBA than he? No. Sure, if he was as passionate as I, he could probably be even better than he was. However, it still doesn't change the fact that he is much more qualified to play basketball than I am.

You could go into the argument that person B would likely not have the patients best interest when they're practicing compared to person A, but you really can't make that assumption unless you really get to know someone's character, which is much different from what motivates them to pursue med in the first place.

But lets be serious, if Dr's got paid <100k a yr working full time after residency, I can guarantee that med would be much less competitive.

Getting the marks required to get into med school isn't luck, it's hard work. While I don't agree with people making up the EC's, motivation is motivation. Just because you are passionate about helping people (person A) doesn't make you more qualified than somehow who is motivated through the monetary rewards (person B) of med school.

For example, let's say I'm more passionate about basketball than Allen Iverson. I care about practice yadda yadda yadda, while he doesn't. Does that make me more qualified to play in the NBA than he? No. Sure, if he was as passionate as I, he could probably be even better than he was. However, it still doesn't change the fact that he is much more qualified to play basketball than I am.

You could go into the argument that person B would likely not have the patients best interest when they're practicing compared to person A, but you really can't make that assumption unless you really get to know someone's character, which is much different from what motivates them to pursue med in the first place.

But lets be serious, if Dr's got paid <100k a yr working full time after residency, I can guarantee that med would be much less competitive.

Using Iverson as an example of someone who lacks passion for basketball is flat-out wrong.

Using Iverson as an example of someone who lacks passion for basketball is flat-out wrong.

It was hypothetical, the relevant aspects of his/her scenario still stand. If you still don't like it, then just replace Iverson with Barry Sanders and basketball for football.

It was hypothetical, the relevant aspects of his/her scenario still stand. If you still don't like it, then just replace Iverson with Barry Sanders and basketball for football.

Barry had passion. You'd have to have passion to stand behind the O-line's that he had whilst trying to run for his life. His play making and ability was a measure of trying not to be killed in the line of duty lol

Barry had passion. You'd have to have passion to stand behind the O-line's that he had whilst trying to run for his life. His play making and ability was a measure of trying not to be killed in the line of duty lol

Eh, I'm not the only one who was under the impression that he just didn't like football that much, but ya, the lions sure did give him a hell of a time

You trying to run head first into 300 lb guys?

People may slip through the cracks because of incorrect intentions, however they got to medical school through the same system you are going through.

If you are angry or upset at these people, ask yourself what you can do better. OP, why don't you get higher marks like those other people

If things go bad for you

And make you a bit ashamed

Often you will find out that

You have yourself to blame

Swiftly we ran to mischief

And then the bad luck came

Why do we fault others?

We have ourselves to blame

Whatever happens to us,

Here is what we say

"Had it not been for so-and-so

Things wouldn't have gone that way."

And if you are short of friends,

I'll tell you what to do

Make an examination,

You'll find the faults in you...

Your the captain of your ship,

So agree with the same

If you travel downward

Luck plays a role in marks, and in everything else in life...

Yes it does. Everyone who got into med school got there at least in part because of luck. The very fact that we're all sitting around on the internet right now with our fancy electricity and we didn't dye of malaria when were babies is because we got lucky. I'm not even trying to be sarcastic here. People rarely think about how much of what they have is because of things entirely out of their control. It doesn't make you a bad person or mean that you aren't hard-working or whatever else. But people get into med school usually because they worked hard and also because a lot of fortunate things happened to them that they didn't cause to happen.

If things go bad for you

And make you a bit ashamed

Often you will find out that

Swiftly we ran to mischief

And then the bad luck came

Why do we fault others?

We have ourselves to blame

Whatever happens to us,

Here is what we say

"Had it not been for so-and-so

Things wouldn't have gone that way."

And if you are short of friends,

I'll tell you what to do

Make an examination,

You'll find the faults in you...

Your the captain of your ship,

So agree with the same

If you travel downward

Rocky says it best.

I know. Just trying to make a joke out of it. lol

:)

You trying to run head first into 300 lb guys?

Barry was too evasive to ever have to do that

speaking of slipping through the cracks... what happened to malodrax? LOL. i heard he got in some hot water.

Last i remember he was put in for psychiatric evaluation or something, and i think he was to be monitored but could still go through med school

speaking of slipping through the cracks... what happened to malodrax? LOL. i heard he got in some hot water.

Haha this forum knows about Malodrax? He is famous over on the bodybuilding forums. Last I heard he got put on limited patient contact at his med school after his dean found out about the stuff he did.

Sure. I just thought it was weird that you used Iverson of all people.

Yes it does. Everyone who got into med school got there at least in part because of luck. The very fact that we're all sitting around on the internet right now with our fancy electricity and we didn't dye of malaria when were babies is because we got lucky. I'm not even trying to be sarcastic here. People rarely think about how much of what they have is because of things entirely out of their control. It doesn't make you a bad person or mean that you aren't hard-working or whatever else. But people get into med school usually because they worked hard and also because a lot of fortunate things happened to them that they didn't cause to happen.

Gotta be good to be lucky, and you gotta be lucky to be good.

Your reason for going into medicine shouldn't be one-dimensional; whether that's to "help people" or to "make money". It should be a combination of a lot of different factors.

What??? You mean a doctor that loves making tons of money ISN'T the devil incarnate?

Bizzare!

Seriously though, LOL at the OP's naive and narrow-minded original post.

I don't know what fantasyland you're living in, but people get a JOB to earn MONEY.

I was wondering if there are people who get into medical school, but really shouldn't. By that I mean people who want to pursue a career in medicine not because they want to help people, but because they are motivated by the monetary reward.

I know people who say they want to become doctors because they earn alot of money. These people also have not really done any extra-curriculars or anything to show that they are fit for this kind of career other than getting extremely stellar grades. As well, these are people who plan on making up their list of EC's and having family/friends write them LORs.

I just get frustrated at people like this who say they want to get into medical school and because they think they can just cause they get super high marks, whereas there are other people like me who do a lot more, but because my marks aren't that high, I feel like I would be left out.

I guess I'm just asking if anyone here know of people who got into med school really just through luck.

So to be a doctor you shouldn't be motivated by monetary rewards? Lol mmm okay. this is real life.

Do you think getting stellar grades is easy?

Using your logic, your friends could say "I jut get frustrated at people who think they can get into medical school just because they do a lot of EC's and resume pad"...

I don't know why you are determining what factor should motivate you to do which job. And if you're not motivated about monetary rewards then I suggest you go work for minimum wage for awhile and try to pay for your mortgage/insurance/food/ etc...

What??? You mean a doctor that loves making tons of money ISN'T the devil incarnate?

Bizzare!

Seriously though, LOL at the OP's naive and narrow-minded original post.

I don't know what fantasyland you're living in, but people get a JOB to earn MONEY.

Not me maaaan.

I'd be a doctor for minimum wage (he says in blissful ignorance).

Archived