Premed 101 Forums

YORK BSc PSYCHOLOGY > UOFT LIFE SCI

The interesting part is that the dominating population don't do as well as those that did undergrad at UofT. Of course this is subjective/anecdotal, but students talk and they compare grades on tests/exams/etc. It can't be the case that the students from universities that make up a high % of the class population are stronger and more capable, but more likely that there is a discrepancy in the difficulty between universities. If all universities were at the same difficulty level, then there would be a more equal distribution from different universities.

Very anecdotal/subjective. On the other side, my friends from UTSG that got into med didn't feel more prepared. In fact, the ones that ended up at MAC med were not use to the PBL style of learning and found it more of a challenge than graduates from Mac Health Sci. I also have friends from "easier" undergraduate backgrounds and are doing comparatively well in their classes.

End of the day, those that are able to adapt to their environments will do well, regardless of how hard or how easy their undergrad was.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very anecdotal/subjective. On the other side, my friends from UTSG that got into med didn't feel more prepared. In fact, the ones that ended up at MAC med were not use to the PBL style of learning and found it more of a challenge than graduates from Mac Health Sci. I also have friends from "easier" undergraduate backgrounds and are doing comparatively well in their classes.

End of the day, those that are able to adapt to their environments will do well, regardless of how hard or how easy their undergrad was.

Lovely post.

I love your last line. I was at YorkU for three years, and my biol marks haven't even moved past C+ , no matter how i studied. From biol 1010 to biol 3110. I tried different style of studying, it didnt work.

Biol 3110 - Molecular biology I at YorkU is the worst GPA killer same with Biol 3310 (for most students). For biol 3110; first two tests final mark % is 40%. So, if you got A or A+, you are still failing the course. And final exam is 60%, which is really hard. Only 2-3 people have pulled an A average. But if you get Michael Gadesdeon (hes a former U of T life science prof now at Sence YorkU) you can get A average! He's from U of T :P. I got A average from professors who are part time at YorkU but full time at U of T.

I took chemistry at yorku, i got B+ in chem 1000 and 1001 , and labs it was A+. And yes, the profs did bell curve, the average was in 58% for chem 1000 for my section prior to final exam. After final exam, there was a bell curve done, i was moved up 5%. Chem 1001 class avg was b for my section, but this prof hasn't ever thought chemistry at yorku since summer 2010 lol.

Organic chem at YorkU is hard, i can say this because for the past 3 years at YorkU, every single person who took it, had to repeat it, or drop it with labs done with a mark of 70%. This got them exempted from labs and more study time for the course content.

I've did fairly well in math , chem courses at YorkU. Infact, i was in the A to A+ range and my math courses' class averages were literally 40-55%. But, I studied and tried to understand it so yeah.

And if you're saying/going to yorku so its "easier" to get into medical school, than you are in for a big mistake. You're gonna suffer brutally, just saying from my and friends experience.

U of T is hard itself in is own way and YorkU is hard itself in its own unique way. Psychology at yorku is competitive, many of my friends from biology switched to it. So marking in psychology upper year courses is tough. One of my friends mark was bell curved DOWN, so he ended up getting B+ instead of A.

Although YorkU campus is beautiful and amazing compard to U of T Lol. So just keep that in mind :P, and the hot girls, so yeah lol. Don't get distracted and study effectively, attend ALL LECTURES no matter, go to office hours, and read prior to lecture and afterwards. And don't cramp.

I love your last line. I was at YorkU for three years, and my biol marks haven't even moved past C+ , no matter how i studied. From biol 1010 to biol 3110. I tried different style of studying, it didnt work.

Organic chem at YorkU is hard, i can say this because for the past 3 years at YorkU, every single person who took it, had to repeat it, or drop it with labs done with a mark of 70%. This got them exempted from labs and more study time for the course content.

Oh where to start...first off, I'd bet money that you are just a horrible test writer. Biol1010 is an easy A. And I don't know who you are hanging out with, but plenty of people get an A/A+ in organic chem the first time they take it.

U of T is hard itself in is own way and YorkU is hard itself in its own unique way. Psychology at yorku is competitive, many of my friends from biology switched to it. So marking in psychology upper year courses is tough. One of my friends mark was bell curved DOWN, so he ended up getting B+ instead of A.

Well, now I'm starting to think that your friends are borderline retarded. If you have a pulse, you can get an A in psych. The only thing remotely competitive about psych is finding a thesis supervisor...and even that isn't bad so long as you start looking early on. I worked with my first choice prof.

Although YorkU campus is beautiful and amazing compard to U of T Lol. So just keep that in mind :P, and the hot girls, so yeah lol. Don't get distracted and study effectively, attend ALL LECTURES no matter, go to office hours, and read prior to lecture and afterwards. And don't cramp.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Oh where to start...first off, I'd bet money that you are just a horrible test writer. Biol1010 is an easy A. And I don't know who you are hanging out with, but plenty of people get an A/A+ in organic chem the first time they take it.

Well, now I'm starting to think that your friends are borderline retarded. If you have a pulse, you can get an A in psych. The only thing remotely competitive about psych is finding a thesis supervisor...and even that isn't bad so long as you start looking early on. I worked with my first choice prof.

York U

Game_Scene_Paradise_Island_by_firebolide.jpg

Okay you're clearly on some kind of crack

lmfao nothing but love

Forever using this Guy as an example when I tell people about the **** I put up with at york

Lovely post.

Biol 3110 - Molecular biology I at YorkU is the worst GPA killer same with Biol 3310 (for most students). For biol 3110; first two tests final mark % is 40%. So, if you got A or A+, you are still failing the course. And final exam is 60%, which is really hard. Only 2-3 people have pulled an A average. But if you get Michael Gadesdeon (hes a former U of T life science prof now at Sence YorkU) you can get A average! He's from U of T :P. I got A average from professors who are part time at YorkU but full time at U of T.

I took chemistry at yorku, i got B+ in chem 1000 and 1001 , and labs it was A+. And yes, the profs did bell curve, the average was in 58% for chem 1000 for my section prior to final exam. After final exam, there was a bell curve done, i was moved up 5%. Chem 1001 class avg was b for my section, but this prof hasn't ever thought chemistry at yorku since summer 2010 lol.

I've did fairly well in math , chem courses at YorkU. Infact, i was in the A to A+ range and my math courses' class averages were literally 40-55%. But, I studied and tried to understand it so yeah.

And if you're saying/going to yorku so its "easier" to get into medical school, than you are in for a big mistake. You're gonna suffer brutally, just saying from my and friends experience.

U of T is hard itself in is own way and YorkU is hard itself in its own unique way. Psychology at yorku is competitive, many of my friends from biology switched to it . So marking in psychology upper year courses is tough. One of my friends mark was bell curved DOWN, so he ended up getting B+ instead of A.

lol people who switch from bio to psyc are usually the ones who get kicked out of bio... that doesn't make it competitive

Okay you're clearly on some kind of crack

Maybe he's coming from a community college or some sort of internment camp?

Psych is also where kin majors with low gpas end up in

Psych is easier than Kin? From people on here I've gathered Kin is "more fun and easier", and Psych has buttloads of reading and memorization. Plus you gotta take stats, gotta get molested then tell everyone how you feel about it, the list goes on.

Aye aye aye no sé a quién creer o qué hacer Estoy tan perdido ...

psych is ubiquitously one of the hardest in major universities because so many people take the major… our psych dept had highest nserc cutoff gpa's in science etc… lol not only do i almost have a chem double major, but a bio one too (biochem can count one or the other) and i generally find most bio to be quite catatonic in a sense… at least how they teach you think of it (rotely and static)

lol people who switch from bio to psyc are usually the ones who get kicked out of bio... that doesn't make it competitive

hmmm, i've had a few people tell me similar things about york… like 300 levels, all written, all written assignments, essays in every class, 400 levels… presentations, design an experiment which could discern spatial cognition heuritics used be animals, plus like all essay exams that the prof marked herself… my fave class was one that only filled 12/36 b/c people are too scared to take it… two 20 page essays… final exam is 10 different short essays given week before and 2 long essays, 2 short essays are chose on these day, meaning other 8 you studied useless, and long was you choice of 2…. but welll i got a a… and my final was 12-14 pages in 2 hrs…. seminar classes in psychopharmacology advanced visual processing with leader in field and 4 other students… haha… have fun… i don't get why it's a big penis contest between ppl though…

lmfao nothing but love

Forever using this Guy as an example when I tell people about the **** I put up with at york

And I don't know who you are hanging out with, but plenty of people get an A/A+ in organic chem the first time they take it.

Nobody is arguing with that. There are also plenty of people who get A+ in nuclear physics and rocket science. The average is what (I think) the OP is looking for. And the organic class average at york does not look optimistic (at least before applying lab marks and curves).

Nobody is arguing with that. There are also plenty of people who get A+ in nuclear physics and rocket science. The average is what (I think) the OP is looking for. And the organic class average at york does not look optimistic (at least before applying lab marks and curves).

but only 10-20% of the class gets A/A+ which isn't a lot and this isn't psyc... most people are taking it for the sole reason of meeting the requirements of medschool, pharm, dent (chem majors are a minority in orgo)

but only 10-20% of the class gets A/A+ which isn't a lot and this isn't psyc... most people are taking it for the sole reason of meeting the requirements of medschool, pharm, dent (chem majors are a minority in orgo)

I agree. Not to mention that a portion of that 10-20% is likely to be Chem majors. In the end, it's really up to the OP to figure out how much he/she is capable of doing. Personally, I would only warn about the chemistry courses at York (organic specifically since I have had the experience). The rest is fair game to me.

Maybe he's coming from a community college or some sort of internment camp?

Psych is easier than Kin? From people on here I've gathered Kin is "more fun and easier", and Psych has buttloads of reading and memorization. Plus you gotta take stats, gotta get molested then tell everyone how you feel about it, the list goes on.

Aye aye aye no sé a quién creer o qué hacer Estoy tan perdido ...

The first bit made me giggle.

But yeah, having majored in psych and taken kine courses, I'd say that psych is easier...google "York convocation 2012" PDF and look at the number of people graduating summa cum laude from hons psych. There's a ton.

hmmm, i've had a few people tell me similar things about york… like 300 levels, all written, all written assignments, essays in every class, 400 levels… presentations, design an experiment which could discern spatial cognition heuritics used be animals, plus like all essay exams that the prof marked herself… my fave class was one that only filled 12/36 b/c people are too scared to take it… two 20 page essays… final exam is 10 different short essays given week before and 2 long essays, 2 short essays are chose on these day, meaning other 8 you studied useless, and long was you choice of 2…. but welll i got a a… and my final was 12-14 pages in 2 hrs…. seminar classes in psychopharmacology advanced visual processing with leader in field and 4 other students… haha… have fun… i don't get why it's a big penis contest between ppl though…

The only 300 levels without exams that I know of are intermediate research methods, and the independent study course. I also found it to be quite easy to get 90+ on psych papers.

My point was that not "everyone" fails it like dumb dumb was implying.

But yeah, having majored in psych and taken kine courses, I'd say that psych is easier...google "York convocation 2012" PDF and look at the number of people graduating summa cum laude from hons psych. There's a ton.

The only 300 levels without exams that I know of are intermediate research methods, and the independent study course. I also found it to be quite easy to get 90+ on psych papers.

Well that's good because I want easier.

I plan to take a few kine courses though, anatomy and physiology namely...

Well that's good because I want easier.

I plan to take a few kine courses though, anatomy and physiology namely...

I really want to take anatomy too, is it offered for second year students, since im transferring to second year at York, I hope I can take it!

YEAH! by the looks of, everyone is ranting about chemistry, considering I'm already getting my UofT credit for physical and orgo chem, I think im done with it.... As of chemistry for medschool requirements, I may have to continue in some chemistry, but my psych major seems to be quite fulfilling. Wish I could just do psych courses :))

Anatomy+Physiology are another interest of mine...

Thank You!

Archived