Premed 101 Forums

YORK BSc PSYCHOLOGY > UOFT LIFE SCI

Just transferred from UTSG Life Science to York Psychology for second year

I was wondering who else has done this? I've read everywhere that york will get me a high GPA for medschool and my first year at uoft killed me, so im really hoping the effort I put in at York will get me to medschool

I was just wondering? does york actually get harder second, third, fourth year? comparable to UTSG:confused:

I really want to be making the best decision for myself...and I just want to get to medschool, EVEN IN USA!!!

HELP!

ALSO WHAT ARE SOME GOOD SECOND YEAR COURSES, I AM GOING TO BE TAKING MEDSCHOOL PREREQS LIKE BIO, CHEM AND MATH STILL AND ONE YEAR OF PHYSICS MAYBE IN THE SUMMER!!!!

THANKS!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Technically, you can get into medical school from any major as long as you take the necessary prerequisite courses. I don't think that York will hand out a high GPA, so you're still going to have to put in a lot of work.

As long as you work hard I'm sure that you'll be fine.

Technically, you can get into medical school from any major as long as you take the necessary prerequisite courses. I don't think that York will hand out a high GPA, so you're still going to have to put in a lot of work.

LOL.

I've read everywhere that york will get me a high GPA for medschool and my first year at uoft killed me, so im really hoping the effort I put in at York will get me to medschool

What York will get you is a piece of paper upon graduation. It is you who needs to work hard to get a high GPA.

i was like 2 courses short of double major in chem, on top of psych, i really like chem it's cool just looking at polymer n explaining to someone why it has new properties etc. combined with strengths of older polymer, i find u usually do well in things u enjoy so why not

Don't worry, I'll double that score.

then why did you go to uoft in the first place?

I didn't know it would be hell hahaha, I went in with such positivity and I seriously worked my ass off. I was a commuter too so that was tiring.

I studied hours on end for the tests and exams and in the end my hard work never paid off, especially for chemistry... I got a pretty low GPA first year, like 3.0 and I think med school can only be so forgiving..or not forgiving at all

But im planning on US medschools too, so I have alot of options, if I were to stay in Canada, id probably go to Western!

I was a commuter at U of T too, 1.5 hrs away from my home.

I did study hard, but I think i could've studied much more first year. I used to do all the practice problems in the textbook but lie 5-7 days before a midterm. I used to leave past papers for last minute. I only used to do 2 past test/exam for an upcoming midterm or exam. We had like 10 past papers available to us for almost all the courses.

I could never see myself getting 3.8+ at U of T. If I studied like I should have I think I would've got better, but definitely not over 3.8. There are some questions on the tests that no matter how hard you study for them, you'll never get them (Lam's final calc question!!!).

The US schools actually do care which school you went to. Also, high marks are attainable at York, but you do need to work hard.

I've heard that only Ivy league schools care which you did your undergraduate from. The mid-tier medical schools don't discriminate at all.

I transfered from the university of guelph to york after my first year. I'm in kinesiology and I found getting good marks at york easy. I had a 75% average at guelph and last year I got a 8.9 at York. Just try your best and you will get mostly A+s. I don't know a lot about psychology classes but I know psychology of women is easy. You might also want to take physiology and anatomy (they're kine classes) because they're very interesting.

I transfered from the university of guelph to york after my first year. I'm in kinesiology and I found getting good marks at york easy. I had a 75% average at guelph and last year I got a 8.9 at York. Just try your best and you will get mostly A+s. I don't know a lot about psychology classes but I know psychology of women is easy. You might also want to take physiology and anatomy (they're kine classes) because they're very interesting.

you u are taking pre-reqs for medschool on top of kine classes? so in second year did you take bio, chem and math, how did you find these courses?

you u are taking pre-reqs for medschool on top of kine classes? so in second year did you take bio, chem and math, how did you find these courses?

Fyi, for the med schools in the states, you're expected to have

1 full year of English

1 full year of 2nd year organic chemistry

1 full year 1st year inorganic chemistry

1 full year 1st year general biology

1 full year of 1st year physics

1/2 year of calculus/stats for most US schools

by the time you apply you must satisfy the above requirement. Also, you shouldn't take the prereqs in the summer b/c they might not like seeing that on your transcript.

Fyi, for the med schools in the states, you're expected to have

1 full year of English

1 full year of 2nd year organic chemistry

1 full year 1st year inorganic chemistry

1 full year 1st year general biology

1 full year of 1st year physics

1/2 year of calculus/stats for most US schools

by the time you apply you must satisfy the above requirement. Also, you shouldn't take the prereqs in the summer b/c they might not like seeing that on your transcript.

what about first year calculus?

im also thinking if i dont get into canadian or us, I might just go for carribbean medschool

Don't come back here crying when you get a 50% on your first test. You were warned multiple times. :)

+1

Unless chemistry is your main interest and you are pretty good at it, don't take it. specially at York. I took Organic at york and dropped it after the exam. Took it at UTSG and got an A. I still couldn't solve the York exam questions after finishing up the course at UT. lol. It's not just Organic though. I heard the average for first year chemistry last year was ridiculous. I know some people who were in the class.

But in all honesty, york cant be harder than UofT so I have to be on some kind of right path.

Define harder.

You are on the right track in that you've realized that you need to pull up your GPA. First year at every University is a b.... it's not just UT and you are not the only person with a 3.0 or lower GPA in first year. If you don't change the way you used to study, you're still going to get the same low marks as your first year.

+1

Unless chemistry is your main interest and you are pretty good at it, don't take it. specially at York. I took Organic at york and dropped it after the exam. Took it at UTSG and got an A. I still couldn't solve the York exam questions after finishing up the course at UT. lol. It's not just Organic though. I heard the average for first year chemistry last year was ridiculous. I know some people who were in the class.

Define harder.

You are on the right track in that you've realized that you need to pull up your GPA. First year at every University is a b.... it's not just UT and you are not the only person with a 3.0 or lower GPA in first year. If you don't change the way you used to study, you're still going to get the same low marks as your first year.

You actually got an A in orgo chm at uoft and not york, thats really surprising, your making me think like York is a bad idea after all:confused:

But I mean hopefully since im psychology, the courses won't be too hard, im really ready to put in effort, the thing about UOFT is that you learn, and then study your ass off and then when your tested, it doesn't make sense...My friends at York who transfered told me that the tests finally equal up to the amount of studying and they don't just screw you over like UofT....

IM SO STRESSED LOL!

You actually got an A in orgo chm at uoft and not york, thats really surprising, your making me think like York is a bad idea after all:confused:

But I mean hopefully since im psychology, the courses won't be too hard, im really ready to put in effort, the thing about UOFT is that you learn, and then study your ass off and then when your tested, it doesn't make sense...My friends at York who transfered told me that the tests finally equal up to the amount of studying and they don't just screw you over like UofT....

IM SO STRESSED LOL!

riiiight... I spent the most time studying for this one course at york and ended up getting the lowest mark in that course... don't go in with the attitude that the more you study the better you do...

and just cuz your in psyc doesn't mean you don't have to take courses from other depts

riiiight... I spent the most time studying for this one course at york and ended up getting the lowest mark in that course... don't go in with the attitude that the more you study the better you do...

and just cuz your in psyc doesn't mean you don't have to take courses from other depts

I guess ill do better in York either way because I didn't like UofT at all, all aspects, including the atmoshphere, and I know WAY more people getting into medschool from York than from UofT, so i guess case closed.

Archived