Premed 101 Forums

3.7 Minimum Cut Off Rule for Western

I can't believe Western has a NOSM-like policy about bringing in students to support an area in SOUTHERN Ontario. I mean this is where like all the people in Canada are? Way up North I can understand but what the hell does Western think their graduates are going to be guaranteed residencies in SWO or have a bevy of job opportunities there? Chances are no matter who they let in, they're going to end up somewhere else.

south western ontario - got to add that part :)

They don't have to guess. They track everything and they know where people do residency. I am sure they have a pretty good idea about where people go after that. A very large portion of my class wants to stay in this area - it is where their friend and family are.

The first thing I learned if whether you agree to disagree with a policy at a school know that whatever it is researched to death and analyzed by very smart people (you know, doctors :) ) If there is a rule best to understand it is there for a reason and go from there.

Sometimes I forget how big Ontario is. I figure if it's in the South AT ALL it's got to be well-populated.

Guess I'll have to go live with rmorelan the next 4 years to maximize my chances:)

I am doing CARMS now - I don't know where I will be in 6 months :)

Wow - it really is 6 months. Actually a bit less now.

It's always nice seeing posts like this since if I get an interview it will be conditional and I'm non-swomen. I'm still excited for the interview though, even if nothing comes of it. It will be nice to actually take visible steps towards my goal. :)

Yeah you have to remember the schools have a large enough group to select from there is little point in having people with "no hope" going to interviews etc. It is just a waste of resources and time :)

What does he mean "conditional"?

since (s)he only has 1 year that meets the gpa cut off, if (s)he interviews this year and is subsequently accepted, being able to take the acceptance is contingent upon pb getting >3.7X gpa (whatever the cut off happens to be) this year

Archived