Premed 101 Forums

How careful are surgeons about protecting their hands in hobbies/sports

Since a surgeon's livelihood depends on having full use of the hands and wrists, I was wondering how careful surgeons are in protecting their hands during leisure activities.

Is it common for surgeons who previously enjoyed full-contact sports (boxing, rugby, judo) or incidental-contact sports (soccer, basketball) before medical school, to give these up or switch to a sport/hobby with lower probability of serious injury to the hands/wrist/fingers?

What about hazardous hobbies like wood working?

Or do surgeons with these kinds of hobbies typically just get a gold-plated disability insurance policy and continue to spend their leisure time as they wish?

I am only a second year med student, but I am going to go in to some area of surgery. I quit framing houses as summer work because of this, to protect my hands. I got a 3 inch spike shot through my finger with a nail gun thus shattering my finger and leaving it numb with limited ROM for 6 months which really freaked me out. It's okay now tho, but I won't be framing any more. Still doing wood working tho :)

Since a surgeon's livelihood depends on having full use of the hands and wrists, I was wondering how careful surgeons are in protecting their hands during leisure activities.

What about hazardous hobbies like wood working?

I know a surgeon who has enjoyed wood working for decades. He never has had an accident. He loves his hobby.

Y . O . L . O

About as careful as anyone else....

No one wants a dysfunctional hand

And what's with this obsession with hands. Most surgeons need their feet, knees, hips, lower backs, necks, eyes, and ears too!

(particularly the lower backs - got to love those long surgeries :) )

Archived