Premed 101 Forums

UBC Interview Invites/Regrets

She may have applied the early cycle. They do get interview invites sooner, so she may be correct!

the i thought early application means know the invite 1 day ahead of time. So if she got it today, by logic, all invites would be out tmr?or else the early applicants would know their invites days ahead of normal cycle applicants....

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the i thought early application means know the invite 1 day ahead of time. So if she got it today, by logic, all invites would be out tmr?or else the early applicants would know their invites days ahead of normal cycle applicants....

and sorry, i got soo many typos.. its hard to be studying for finals while waiting for results.. gonna take a nap now..

Sorry to hear the bad news guys! I also got my regrets a few minutes ago. I was expecting it though, since this year was sort of a practice run for me. I still need to bump my GPA up. And since I wasn't even sure I was going to apply, I ended up applying super late and couldn't hear back from all my verifiers, so I ended up having to exclude some of my activities.

GPA: 80.1 17.07/50

NAQ 29.76/50

I have such an embarrassing TFR score! At least I know what I need to work on for upcoming cycles. Good luck to all applicants this cycle and I wish all the best to people who get selected for interviews at UBC (as well as other unis). As for the others, chin up and onward!

Nothing to be embarrassed about. You should see my MCAT score....23M.... now that's embarrassing.

Regrets, no interview.

It is interesting to see that with my AQ, I would have needed the impossible NAQ score of almost 53 to make the OOP TFR cutoff though (78.8). Hopefully this helps OOP students next year in deciding whether to apply or not!

OOP

AGPA 82.77 (AQ 25.9)

NAQ 29.57

TFR 55.47

clarification: "I didn't" was in response to applying early. i just met the sept 17 deadline.

Thanks beemp3! definitely something to keep in mind for next year. wow - to think i could have improved my application just by putting down backpacking and intramural ultimate frisbee...

Hey guys!

Start this off since i just got my email. Knew from last year that i had no shot but applied to see how my score changed.

Last year, got regrets on Tuesday or Wed i think

3:12pm got email

IP

Agpa:79.7

AQ: 15.51

NAQ: 30.64

Good luck everyone!! Hope it works out for you guys!

hey gks, sorry to hear... :( did your NAQ change from last year? others have reported their NAQ dropped drastically... thoughts?

So sorry to all those who got their regrets..I know how that feels, might be going through it again in the next day or so. Does anyone know when the office closes? If we haven't heard anything by 4:30, does this mean we're safe for today?

Feeling very nervous after hearing about the drop in NAQ...my GPA is very borderline, and was hoping that the above average NAQ score I got last year might put my over the edge, but now I'm having serious doubts :(. Anyone who got their scores today....did anyone NAQ NOT drop??

I don't think all of the Early Cycle Applicants heard either way today. I applied for the Early deadline and I haven't heard anything (I'm also in province).

Hopefully we'll hear back tomorrow!

Posting my regrets:

Overall Grade Point Average 75.74

Adjusted Grade Point Average 80.18

AQ Score 17.26

NAQ Score 38.94

TFR Score 56.2

For reference, my NAQ increased (somehow)- it was 34.84 last year. This is my regrets posting from last year:

http://premed101.com/forums/showpost.php?p=646723&postcount=386

My NAQ has increased steadily every year for 4 years straight. I thought it would drop this year, actually, because I didn't change very much and I even had some spelling/grammar errors since I didn't proofread as well as I should. Huh.

I'm still super happy with my decision to move to Whitehorse. I'm now IP in AB and will be IP in SK next year. There's a Yukoner spot at MUN, too. When UBC removed the 10-yr rule and implemented a new AQ system that statistically devalues the NAQ I made the choice to try UofC, and I hope I can get an interview there this winter, and I should, since they have a new 10-yr-rule. :)

For the record:

Worst year (was dropped): 42% average

MCAT: 33R

I guess 5 A+ courses over one application cycle improved my GPA by over 1% point. Still, it's such an uphill battle to improve GPA. If the 10-yr-rule was still in place, I would have about 86% by now. That would easily get me an interview.

clarification: "I didn't" was in response to applying early. i just met the sept 17 deadline.

Thanks beemp3! definitely something to keep in mind for next year. wow - to think i could have improved my application just by putting down backpacking and intramural ultimate frisbee...

Thanks for the clarification my friend.

hey gks, sorry to hear... :( did your NAQ change from last year? others have reported their NAQ dropped drastically... thoughts?

thanks mughel, i was expecting it so not too bummed:)

It went up by 3 points.. I had one more conference, continued my volunteering and changed the wording of most of my activities and that's about it.

it sucks to hear about the huge fluctuations, the scoring really is a mystery :(

Just found this from the admissions blog:

"Just rest assured you will receive an email explaining your interview decision sometime between 8:30 a.m. Monday, December 3 and 4:30 p.m. Friday, December 7"

So from this I gather that office hours are 8:30-4:30, but it does specify we'll be by 4:30 on Friday (pacific time of course), so I suppose it doesn't exactly rule out hearing anything at any other time. Sigh...I just want to relax for the night.

I find the following statements from the ubc admission blog a bit disturbing.. so essentially the admission evaluation criteria is not designed such that it identifies candidates that will be "good physicians" but is merely a ranking exercise... ??

"One note about the scores: It can be really disappointing not to get an interview. However, please try to see the AQ, NAQ & TFR scores as numbers, not personal judgments. If you get a low AQ or NAQ score we are not saying your GPA is bad or your non-academic experiences are worthless, or that you would be a bad doctor, or anything like that. The scores are an assessment of how your application compares against our evaluation criteria, and that is all we intend them to be. "

AQ: 81.52% - 21.72

NAQ: 36.79

TFR: 58.51

MCAT 31R

Didn't get in :( Seeing as how I feel that I'm pretty close, and considering this is my first application, I'm not TOO devastated. I hope to keep a positive outlook and take an extra semester of courses even though I planned to finish this december.

I feel like I can improve my gpa to about an 82.5 with a few A+'s (including a couple from this current sem) and also take on another volunteer position.

I find the following statements from the ubc admission blog a bit concerning.. so essentially the admission evaluation criteria is not designed such that it identifies candidates that will be "good physicians" but is merely a ranking exercise... ??

"One note about the scores: It can be really disappointing not to get an interview. However, please try to see the AQ, NAQ & TFR scores as numbers, not personal judgments. If you get a low AQ or NAQ score we are not saying your GPA is bad or your non-academic experiences are worthless, or that you would be a bad doctor, or anything like that. The scores are an assessment of how your application compares against our evaluation criteria, and that is all we intend them to be. "

I think what they're saying is that with the general high quality of the applicant pool, nobody would be a bad doctor - most applicants have sufficient academic qualifications and people skills. Unfortunately, no matter how you approach it eventually they have to pick someone over someone else, so one way or another they're going to have to rank the applicants. The controversial part is always going to be the criteria they use to produce that ranking.

I'm OOP and met the early deadline and got the regrets earlier

Sorry to hear, but thank you

I think what they're saying is that with the general high quality of the applicant pool, nobody would be a bad doctor - most applicants have sufficient academic qualifications and people skills. Unfortunately, no matter how you approach it eventually they have to pick someone over someone else, so one way or another they're going to have to rank the applicants. The controversial part is always going to be the criteria they use to produce that ranking.

Agreed, and also I feel they're implicitly acknowledging that while their evaluation criteria is likely the best they could do to select the best potential physicians, it isn't perfect, like any other criteria. Analogously, someone could score poorly on an intelligence test even if he/she is very intelligent.

Archived