Premed 101 Forums

UBC Interview Invites/Regrets

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm assuming they make a quick final check to each file before sending them out, just to avoid mistakes. I don't think its automated.

I guess that they release the rejections from low scores to high scores while the invitation from high scores to low scores, and the rejections start first till Wednesday, the invitations start from Wednesday for early submissions.

Last year if I remember correctly, each day leading up to Friday there were rejections for different categories of applicants. I believe on Monday or Tuesday, rejections/disqualifications were sent out for those who didn't meet the cut offs or whose files were otherwise not given a full review. Next, on the Tuesday or Weds there were OOP rejections. Finally on Thursday the vast majority of rejections (IP and maybe also OOP) were sent out, with invitations being sent on Friday. I expect this year will be the same, with the exception of the early notice for those who submitted early.

Last year if I remember correctly, each day leading up to Friday there were rejections for different categories of applicants. I believe on Monday or Tuesday, rejections/disqualifications were sent out for those who didn't meet the cut offs or whose files were otherwise not given a full review. Next, on the Tuesday or Weds there were OOP rejections. Finally on Thursday the vast majority of rejections (IP and maybe also OOP) were sent out, with invitations being sent on Friday. I expect this year will be the same, with the exception of the early notice for those who submitted early.

One of the friends got the invitation on Wednesday last year.

For the NAQ, how do they weigh the various factors? I don't have much shadowing experience, but I have 2 years of research with publications, world-wide presentations, Grand Rounds presentations, and UG presentations, and numerous domestic/international extracurriculars. I am not worried about my AQ score, but I would hate to miss the boat because of NAQ quantity over quality :(

For the NAQ, how do they weigh the various factors? I don't have much shadowing experience, but I have 2 years of research with publications, world-wide presentations, Grand Rounds presentations, and UG presentations, and numerous domestic/international extracurriculars. I am not worried about my AQ score, but I would hate to miss the boat because of NAQ quantity over quality :(

Nobody would clearly know about how they weigh the activities for NAQ.

im sure no one on here knows exactly how it works.

if the average GPA is 87.05%, does that mean tht 87.05% correspond to a 25 AQ?

thanks

this just means the average GPA of the people invited to interview is just that ... 87.05%

There could be some guy with 50/50 NAQ and like 15/50 AQ (nowhere near 87) who got an interview :D

and actually:

all apps:

GPA: 85.13

AQ: 32.93

invited:

GPA: 87.54

AQ: 40.36

as you can see.. pretty steep drops in AQ..

Using just these two numbers you get a factor of: 3.083 score change per percentage point... pretty close to that other formula but not as harsh. (i.e. GPA% x 3.083 - 229.53)... .. I adjusted 229.53 to match the AQ score

Of course, this is all assuming there's a linear relationship...

not looking good for me :/

two things to take into account:

(1) 78.4% would equal to the minimum for in-province applicants based on a TFR of 62.05 (i.e. 50/50 for your NAQ)

(2) 83.8% would equal to the minimum for out-of-province applicants based on a TFR of 78.80 (i.e. 50/50 for your NAQ)

and actually:

all apps:

GPA: 85.13

AQ: 32.93

invited:

GPA: 87.54

AQ: 40.36

as you can see.. pretty steep drops in AQ..

Using just these two numbers you get a factor of: 3.083 score change per percentage point... pretty close to that other formula but not as harsh. (i.e. GPA% x 3.083 - 229.53)... .. I adjusted 229.53 to match the AQ score

Of course, this is all assuming there's a linear relationship...

not looking good for me :/

Nor is it looking good for me. The thing you have to realize though is those crazy people who can keep 95% averages skew the average up. I honestly wonder if people with like 83% even have a chance anymore

My predictions are complete silence today. Tomorrow disqualifications for OOP and IP. Wednesday rejections for OOP and early invites for OOP who hit early deadline. Thursday rejections and early invites for IP. Friday invites for normal deadline IP applicants. Just pure speculation.

The formula is on page 35 of last year's thread.

http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?p=646635&highlight=formula#post646635

It's post #350 in:

http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57628&highlight=formula

IN any case, yes, it was mathematically impossible last year to get an interview if you had less than about a 78% GPA.

Also, if you look at the stats:

http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/files/2012/12/Interim-Statistics-2012-13-MED-2017.pdf

The average GPA of all applicants was 32.92, while the average AQ for those offered an interview is 40.36.

Meanwhile, back in NAQ land, the average for all applicants is 30.03, and the average of those interviewed is 32.68.

This means that AQ (and thus GPA) has a much higher predictive power as to whether you will get an interview or not. NAQ is just about moot WRT the UBC process.

In any case, good luck over the next few days to everyone. :)

Archived