Premed 101 Forums

UBC Interview Invites/Regrets

I too am also shocked. It seems that your EC's are better than some people that have been successfully accepted at UBC (from the stickied thread). The only possible reason I can think of is probably the short duration? For example, did everything start 2 years ago?

I'd say maybe half of them did, but I think what really gets me is the drop in NAQ after one more year of more involvement

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have 2 years of volunteer at hospital, a summer of research with 2 publications, 12 months of co-op research, involvement with different clubs and student organizations for up to 4 years, first aid volunteer, peer tutor, some lifeguard and teaching swimming classes, traveling

Last year I got 22.41 on my NAQ (AQ 34.76), this year my NAQ dropped down to 20.92. I don't know what to make of all this.

Maybe because of wording. Somebody said before in premed101 that you need to explain what you gain from each activity, not only your role & time. Need some convince on this.

I'd say maybe half of them did, but I think what really gets me is the drop in NAQ after one more year of more involvement

Yeah that part I don't understand either. Because it is so subjective, you don't know what goes on inside the people that hand out NAQ's. I went to one of the "info sessions" at VGH, and the person who gave the talk seemed fairly assuming, and she had clear ideas on what she likes and doesn't like. So maybe it was just a luck of the draw this year. All I can say is that I'm sorry that it had happened to you, and I'm hoping other schools will do you more justice.

Maybe because of wording. Somebody said before in premed101 that you need to explain what you gain from each activity, not only your role & time. Need some convince on this.

The most recent help guide has explicitly stated not to do this outside of the Diversity of Experience category.

The most recent help guide has explicitly stated not to do this outside of the Diversity of Experience category.

I'm pretty sure you don't need to explain what you gain from your experience since I did none of that and got 41.5 NAQ. You should word your responsibilities and accomplishments more carefully and directly. For example, instead of saying "I provided leadership", say "I led the fundraiser and got $5000".

I'm pretty sure you don't need to explain what you gain from your experience since I did none of that and got 41.5 NAQ. You should word your responsibilities and accomplishments more carefully and directly. For example, instead of saying "I provided leadership", say "I led the fundraiser and got $5000".

That was suggested by the one who got in.

In general, we are interested in your particular role in an activity and the contribution you made to the activity or

through the activity. Giving us a clear, specific description of the context, duties, and people involved in the activity will

help us evaluate this section more accurately than a summary of what you learned from the activity.

Directly from the Help Guide. I don't mean to kick anyone while they're down, but at this point, it's about jumping through UBC's hoops. Follow their instructions, and you'll be scored "appropriately", as keepontrying was.

In general, we are interested in your particular role in an activity and the contribution you made to the activity or

through the activity. Giving us a clear, specific description of the context, duties, and people involved in the activity will

help us evaluate this section more accurately than a summary of what you learned from the activity.

Directly from the Help Guide. I don't mean to kick anyone while they're down, but at this point, it's about jumping through UBC's hoops. Follow their instructions, and you'll be scored "appropriately", as keepontrying was.

It says 'more accurately than a summary', doesn't mean 'no summary at all'.

What works before doesn't mean it'll work in subsequent years. I did what was suggested last year and got a lower score, and I didn't add more extracurricular for this year's application. I simply followed the directions as given by ubc and reworded my descriptions to be more direct and focused more on the actual achievements instead of describing what I have learnt.

yup, though UBC has this nice little note under the Diversity of Experiences heading in the Admissions Guide where they say: "N.B. Under “description” column, indicate the knowledge/skills you acquired from these activities."

:)

yup, though UBC has this nice little note under the Diversity of Experiences heading in the Admissions Guide where they say: "N.B. Under “description” column, indicate the knowledge/skills you acquired from these activities."

:)

Right, that is the one that I'm talking about. last year just simply following the instruction without mentioning what I gained from it at all. This year, paid more attention on this. So far, have not received anything, couldn't convince it yet.

Yeap. In province btw. Not sure if he met the early deadline. I thibk ubc messed up

In the blog it says,'Ineligible: no scores

Regrets, Partial File Review: OGPA, AGPA (if applicable)

Regrets, No Interview: OGPA, AGPA (if applicable), AQ, NAQ and TFR

Invited to Interview: no scores'

So it is a mistake.

Hey guys,

I thought I would post my rejection stats in case they are helpful for future applicants trying to figure out what they need to apply to UBC med. Based on my low stats, I don't think UBC would be a viable option if I ever decided to re-apply.

Adjusted Grade Point Average 82.08

AQ Score 23.59

NAQ Score 30.58

TFR Score 54.17

Non-academics:

Research: 2 first author pubs (in journals with impact factors of 5 and 10, both featured in the highlights section of their respective journals), 4 oral presentations at conferences, 2 conference posters, all first author.

Scholarships: 4 scholarships valued at ~$6K each. 1 valued at $100K.

Work experience: Laboratory work, 3 TAships, also some very general jobs, supervision of ~30 people in my lifetime.

EC: I serve on a small to mid-size executive committee, volunteering with vulnerable adults (3+ years), hospital volunteering (~1.5 years), travelling (2+ yrs), homeless shelter work (intermittently), recreational sports.

Hey guys,

I thought I would post my rejection stats in case they are helpful for future applicants trying to figure out what they need to apply to UBC med. Based on my low stats, I don't think UBC would be a viable option if I ever decided to re-apply.

AQ Score 23.59

NAQ Score 30.58

TFR Score 54.17

Non-academics:

Research: 2 first author pubs (in journals with impact factors of 5 and 10, both featured in the highlights section of their respective journals), 4 oral presentations at conferences, 2 conference posters, all first author.

Work experience: Laboratory work, 3 TAships, also some very general jobs, supervision of ~30 people in my lifetime.

EC: I serve on a small to mid-size executive committee, volunteering with vulnerable adults (3+ years), hospital volunteering (~1.5 years), travelling (2+ yrs), homeless shelter work (intermittently), recreational sports.

It is really hard to say how they weigh NAQ.

Hey guys,

AQ Score 23.59

NAQ Score 30.58

TFR Score 54.17

Non-academics:

How did u calculate/estimate your AQ, NAQ, TFR?

You've got some impressive scholarships.

Non-academics:

It is unfortunate that your GPA couldn't be brought up because your extracurriculars are stellar (far more stellar than a measly 30/50, in my eyes at least). I find it hard to believe that someone could obtain 40+ after reading your descriptions.

It would be truly unfortunate if they value how one writes their activities over the significance/purpose of them. I wonder is UBC is aware that applicants are completely nescience about the NAQ?

wow I honestly thought I had a decent chance this cycle because I only needed ~30 NAQ

Seems like 30 NAQ (as posted above) requires some extraordinary tasks :eek:

The average NAQ of everyone that applied (and was reviewed) was just over 30. I'm assuming how you word your extra-curricular activities is very important if someone with such outstanding activities only got that score.

Seems like 30 NAQ (as posted above) requires some extraordinary tasks :eek:

As evidenced in previous threads about NAQ, it appears that this is a highly subjective topic. I had an acquaintance of mine score 22/25 (84%), prior to the conversion of scores in 2010, and then subsequently score 30/50 (60%) in 2011 without many changes to his application. I would consider his extracurricular to be in the top 10% of all the resumes I've ever looked at, even compared to his pre-med peers at the time.

Gradapp, it's obvious you are an excellent candidate for medical school, however due to the luck of the draw (or lack thereof), you really got the short end of the stick for this application cycle. I would be disappointed if you do not try again with your stats and extracurricular activities.

*edit* Chestbra, you probably don't have to worry much if you haven't received a rejection yet. I think the bulk of the bad news has gone out for both IP's and OOP's. In previous years, that type of news usually goes out in bulk. I believe we are safe for now, and most of us can probably expect to hear good news either tomorrow or the day after.

Archived