Premed 101 Forums

UBC Interview Invites/Regrets

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Economist

did you see his UBC application interview page or did he just tell you?

He just told me. I don't know why he would lie to me though, it seems like there was an error because he also received his AQ and NAQ scores as well as an interview invite... AND it was on monday while he didn't meet the early deadline. He's panicking and sent the admission teams an e-mail.

He says he can see an interview tab on the OAS site.

I just heard from a friend that several invitations went out yesterday. Can anyone confirm this? I wonder if this could mean that regular deadline applicants might hear today since UBC was pretty clear the early applicants would get 1 day early notice, and it actually would be unfair to have invites sent at different times throughout the week, since you sign up for your slot as soon as you hear. Are there any early deadline applicants still waiting to hear about interviews?

I'm not sure this was exactly what was said. I honestly haven't been following the UBC stuff too closely this year, but my understanding was that the early deadline people would have interview spots opened up a day earlier. It's also my understanding that you don't sign up for an interview exactly when you get your invitation to interview- the interview sign-up day is about a week after interview invites get sent.

Found this on the blog:

"Applicants who have everything in by August 15 (including a completed application, transcripts, BC residency documents, name change, etc) will get a chance to book their interviews a day before the other interview-granted applicants. These applicants will also be able to find out that they have received an interview invitation a day early. Applicants who apply early but aren’t invited for an interview won’t find out their interview decision any earlier, though. "

I still have no idea what to expect though..

I'm not sure this was exactly what was said. I honestly haven't been following the UBC stuff too closely this year, but my understanding was that the early deadline people would have interview spots opened up a day earlier. It's also my understanding that you don't sign up for an interview exactly when you get your invitation to interview- the interview sign-up day is about a week after interview invites get sent.

That was the case when interviews went out for the 10/11 cycle but not for the 11/12 cycle. Last year I received my interview invitation and was immediately able to book a time -- luckily for me I had the day off and was able to book my preferred interview time! Remember, a new application system was implemented last year. There are a number of differences we were not informed of prior to the cycle and this was one of them :(. In the 10/11 cycle the interview times were booked through a system separate from the OAS a few weeks after invites went out.

Hey guys,

Sorry if I'm posting this in an entirely inappropriate thread, I just became a member to this forum so trying to figure it out. I'll just quickly tell you a bit about myself. I'm a 4th year student from UVic who will be graduating this summer and applied to UBC med this cycle. Unfortunately, I received regrets, no interview (my overall GPA was: 82.97%; my AQ score was: 26.58; my NAQ score was: 26.01; my TFR score was: 52.59; and my MCAT was: 34P).

I guess what I'm doing here is really just looking for advice. I emailed the UBC MD admissions but am assuming it will take some time before I get a response. My question is really going out to any reapplicants as to what they did during the intervening time between their applications? Did you work towards improving your GPA by taking more courses, and continue working on your non-academic activities section as well? I guess I need to work both on increasing my GPA and my NAQ score, but since I'm graduating UVic I'm just wondering if I should enroll in a second undergraduate degree program to continue or take correspondence courses? I know there is no specific "do x and you will get in" but any and all advice/help/suggestions and any explanations of what reapplicants did to strengthen their application/what they did during the years between is very much appreciated. Sorry for the long post, maybe I should have put this in a new thread. Thanks for any help any of you can provide!

Patrick

Hey guys,

Sorry if I'm posting this in an entirely inappropriate thread, I just became a member to this forum so trying to figure it out. I'll just quickly tell you a bit about myself. I'm a 4th year student from UVic who will be graduating this summer and applied to UBC med this cycle. Unfortunately, I received regrets, no interview (my overall GPA was: 82.97%; my AQ score was: 26.58; my NAQ score was: 26.01; my TFR score was: 52.59; and my MCAT was: 34P).

I guess what I'm doing here is really just looking for advice. I emailed the UBC MD admissions but am assuming it will take some time before I get a response. My question is really going out to any reapplicants as to what they did during the intervening time between their applications? Did you work towards improving your GPA by taking more courses, and continue working on your non-academic activities section as well? I guess I need to work both on increasing my GPA and my NAQ score, but since I'm graduating UVic I'm just wondering if I should enroll in a second undergraduate degree program to continue or take correspondence courses? I know there is no specific "do x and you will get in" but any and all advice/help/suggestions and any explanations of what reapplicants did to strengthen their application/what they did during the years between is very much appreciated. Sorry for the long post, maybe I should have put this in a new thread. Thanks for any help any of you can provide!

Hi, A couple comments

(1) edit your post and remove your name.

(2) start a new thread in UBC -- you will get much better feedback

(3) im pretty sure admissions explicitly said they won't discuss applications.. so you are unlikely to hear from them.

(4) lastly, your GPA may not be at the average, but its just because of UBC's brutal curving that it hurts you so much. I would suggest you focus primarily on improving NAQ.. but it's a tough road ahead. your GPA will take at least a year or two with perfect scores to raise significantly, IMO. but you can calculate that stuff yourself and see how much a perfect year would change it.

(5) your MCAT is good. apply elsewhere also. UBC doesn't seem to take MCAT into account other than minimums.. so people who perform well are screwed.

yah it looks like they are doing the same thing this year. i dont get why since they posted the interm statistics which means theyve doen the file reviez of every1 already

Do they release the rejections in the order of alphabet of applicants' last name, or the score from low to high?

Archived