Premed 101 Forums

UBC Interview Invites/Regrets

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Invited, application submitted at the regular deadline.

OOP

3.87 (87%) undergrad, 4.0 (91%) grad

EC: Finishing an MSc thesis, some nice academic awards including a grad stipend from CIHR, attendance/presentation at a couple international conferences. Undergrad summer research. ~500 hours volunteering, 2000 hours paid work in healthcare. No volunteering abroad. Included a few hobbies like cycling, snowboarding and travel in the experiences section.

Edit: Just got a separate invitation from the MD/PhD program so those are going out now as well.

What's up non-trads?

Invited for interview. IP GPA: ~86 MCAT: 34Q. I have A BMUS and given that they took no music students the past few years I was braced for the worst. I'm in my mid-late 20s no pubs, no research but a bunch of professional performance/teaching experience.

Best of luck and see some of you in Feb!

Invited!

IP applicant.

Third time non-traditional applicant, glad to have another chance at this!

GPA 91.7%

AQ 50/50

NAQ 42/50

TFR 92/100

(AQ, NAQ and TFR scores are from last year)

Good luck everyone!

wow thats the highest TFR ive seen

What's up non-trads?

WoopWoop!!

I'm just past the mid 20's mark. BComm in finance. Gradded 3-4 years ago :eek: with AGPA=85. First time applying. Only applied UBC because I've been away from home long enough and there are family issues that have arisen.

EC's worked for local investment bank firm, couple stints in NYC working for a high yield trader. I've done some financial research publications, but nothing major. Also, during school, I was president of one of the finance clubs in Sauder, I also led a team that won the National Investment Banking Competition & Conference in Vancouver BC.

Recently quit my job to find something more satisfying in life.. a career in the capital markets, although financially rewarding, has done a real toll on my health and family life... on the brighter side though, hoping that my earnings over the past 3 years can pay for my med school tuition and living expenses!

I can't believe I'm even saying this but INVITED!

IP, Second time applicant, no interview last year

aGPA 84%

EC's: unique and a bit above average (>2500 hours) based on what I know of other premeds, a couple years of work experience, and diverse volunteering both health care and non-health care related

Sorry for the double reply - Just took a look at William Hwang - Oh my sweet baby jesus that kid has done it all!

My sister won the Rhodes a couple of years ago, but her accomplishment is mere compared to his.

my god this guy puts anyone to shame ahahaha

Haha yeah the guy is nuts!

Found out the surprising news this morning at around 10am!

How do you know what your adjusted GPA is? Can we find it somewhere on OAS? I have absolutely no idea what my agpa is: I've attended a lot of schools for a little while each (and each had a different grading system)because I was caring for a terminally ill family member. I would love to know what my GPA is!

AGPA ? Anywhere from high 70s to mid 80s

MCAT 37

ECs: independently founded a rural clinic in a developing nation, Co founded a human rights organization, previously national level athlete, glacier climber, volunteered with children with cancer for 7 years, emt, tutored Max security prison inmates, research, MSc ...

absolutely thrilled as my GPA is questionable!

Good luck to those who are still waiting to hear!

Found out the surprising news this morning at around 10am!

How do you know what your adjusted GPA is? Can we find it somewhere on OAS? I have absolutely no idea what my agpa is: I've attended a lot of schools for a little while each (and each had a different grading system)because I was caring for a terminally ill family member. I would love to know what my GPA is!

AGPA ? Anywhere from high 70s to mid 80s

MCAT 37

ECs: independently founded a rural clinic in a developing nation, Co founded a human rights organization, previously national level athlete, glacier climber, volunteered with children with cancer for 7 years, emt, tutored Max security prison inmates, research, MSc ...

absolutely thrilled as my GPA is questionable!

Good luck to those who are still waiting to hear!

holy hell those are some impressive ECs, from the UBC website:

In addition to the overall academic average, an adjusted academic average is calculated for certain applicants. In the adjusted academic average the academic year with the lowest academic average will be dropped (if applicable). At most, 30 credits can be dropped. If more than 30 credits are presented in the worst academic year, the 30 credits with the lowest grades will be removed. In order to have the academic year with the lowest academic average dropped, applicants must have 90 credits with grades remaining by June 1.

Got my Invite This Morning just as I was heading out to work. IP applicant.

Difficult to give any sort of accurate GPA calculation because UVIC is on the stupid 9 point scale. For UVIC it's 7.8/9. So I'm not balling in terms of my GPA like some kids on this forum with GPA's above 90. All I know is that I am in the most hotly contested range GPA wise of applicants (ie. Not amazing, but not out of the mix).

MCAT: 33R

SCience Major from UVIC in Biochemistry circa 2010. Older applicant at 25

My extra curriculars are more regular than some people on this blog (Teach English in Thailand for 1 Month, Hosptial for 3 years in all different parts, Tutoring, mentoring with BBBS, worked at the Cancer Agency for 1 year, University Coop, no publications (I am always intimidated by the people with all kinds of publications, I know it's a lot of work). I am currently in an Education Post-Degree program becoming a French Immersion Science Teacher.... a bit of an odd mix on my end.

Some peoples extra curriculars on this forum sound amazing and I will freely admit are quite intimidating. Makes we wonder how some of these people manage to have a life around their crazy ECs.

Good luck to all those with interviews.

To all those who did not get good news, keep it up, I have been there. For last years application cycle I had my application in and wrote my MCAT on the last day possible and ended up walking out and voiding the results because of a panic attack during the verbal reasoning (Haha, was not a happy camper).

To all those people who feel that they don't have a chance because they don't have a superhuman application. Don't be intimidated and give it a shot.

Archived