Premed 101 Forums

UBC Interview Invites/Regrets

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks Murphy303

- as a side note, and no offense meant, what have you done since 2008 to up your CV and get into med school?

I really feel for you. That would imply 4-5 application cycles and left hanging. Sorry to hear!

haha actually i finally got in last year, i just cant stand to change my awesome sig :)

Found out the surprising news this morning at around 10am!

How do you know what your adjusted GPA is? Can we find it somewhere on OAS? I have absolutely no idea what my agpa is: I've attended a lot of schools for a little while each (and each had a different grading system)because I was caring for a terminally ill family member. I would love to know what my GPA is!

AGPA ? Anywhere from high 70s to mid 80s

MCAT 37

ECs: independently founded a rural clinic in a developing nation, Co founded a human rights organization, previously national level athlete, glacier climber, volunteered with children with cancer for 7 years, emt, tutored Max security prison inmates, research, MSc ...

absolutely thrilled as my GPA is questionable!

Good luck to those who are still waiting to hear!

hello Superman!

Hey guys, sorry I'm posting this so late. Just finished a final and now the news just sank in!

Invited, OOP (10:30 am)

GPA: 3.97 (around 91%)

MCAT: 40S

EC's: Lots of leadership (student council for three years as executive and CEO), hospital volunteering since grade 10, 2 years research, 1 abstract at international conference, some cool scholarships (leadership scholarship from Lieutenant Governor), lots of travelling, and lived in three different countries.

I'm so pumped to be able to join everyone for interviews this year! Wasn't sure it would work out with the super high OOP cut offs this year, but I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone this Feb. Congrats to everyone else as well :).

haha actually i finally got in last year, i just cant stand to change my awesome sig :)

Glad to hear! Congrats :)

I was too overwhelmed to post much earlier so I'll put down some stuff now that it has sunk in.

IP

AGPA was just under 91%

MCAT 34R

ECs: was a former provincial and national champion athlete, lots of coaching over a 6 year period, some research experience (abstract publication and one conference poster presentation, but these weren't on my application as they happened after the cut-off date), tutoring, and a bunch of work with children and youth with special needs.

Congrats to everyone who got an interview and I look forward to meeting some of you in February. It's really interesting reading about everyone's difference experiences.

Difficult to give any sort of accurate GPA calculation because UVIC is on the stupid 9 point scale. For UVIC it's 7.8/9. So I'm not balling in terms of my GPA like some kids on this forum with GPA's above 90. All I know is that I am in the most hotly contested range GPA wise of applicants (ie. Not amazing, but not out of the mix).

MCAT: 33R

I went to UVic as well. UBC has a chart to convert the UVic 9 scale - seriously, does any other school use a 9.0 scale!? It's on the application page under one of the links. It's something like a 9 = 95%, 8 = 87%, 7 = 82%, 6 = 78%, etc...

Glad to hear! Congrats :)

I was too overwhelmed to post much earlier so I'll put down some stuff now that it has sunk in.

IP

AGPA was just under 91%

MCAT 34R

ECs: was a former provincial and national champion athlete, lots of coaching over a 6 year period, some research experience (abstract publication and one conference poster presentation, but these weren't on my application as they happened after the cut-off date), tutoring, and a bunch of work with children and youth with special needs.

Congrats to everyone who got an interview and I look forward to meeting some of you in February. It's really interesting reading about everyone's difference experiences.

I went to UVic as well. UBC has a chart to convert the UVic 9 scale - seriously, does any other school use a 9.0 scale!? It's on the application page under one of the links. It's something like a 9 = 95%, 8 = 87%, 7 = 82%, 6 = 78%, etc...

Congrats! And no I think most people are bewildered by the 9 scale too. At least make it 10 so it's metric.

Didn't have time to post in detail yesterday when I received my invite, but to give those with less than stellar GPAs a bit of hope, I thought I'd post my stats in a bit more detail.

Applied last year with no interview

AQ: 19.57 (OGPA 80.87%)

NAQ:32.4

TFR: 51.97

MCAT: 30Q (9 P, 10 B, 11 VR)

I knew I had to bring my grades up, but only had one semester of school left. Still, I managed to bring it up to 82.6% in one semester, and with dropping my first year, my AGPA was ~84.7.

My NAQs are composed of:

Volunteer: coached my high school swim team, volunteer camp counsellor 3X, taught science lessons with Let's Talk Science, hospital volunteer ~1.5 years 120 hours, volunteered at world junior curling championships, volunteered at HIV/AIDS clinic in Uganda, Ronald McDonald house, a few other 1 time things

Research: undergrad thesis (optional, not for honours degree), 8 months co-op doing academic research, 8 months at a small biotech, current position of research tech at a different biotech,

Other employment: starbucks, a different small business cafe for 2-3 years

Misc: open water diver cert, solo travel, musician (2 instruments), other sports

As you can see, nothing totally out of the ordinary, but I kept busy which might explain the high NAQ? Honestly can't explain it because others on this forum seem to have done much more impressive things but got lower NAQ. Anyway, hopefully this is helpful for someone!

Invite

IP

gpa (not sure of %) 3.67 cGPA from SFU though.

EC's: lots of stuff and very long term. Including HIV research with the injection site (when it first started), Developed large scale cancer prevention programs in calgary (for the cancer board now AHS) for a couple years now a team lead for a non profit that provides rental support and intensive case management for formerly homeless people in Calgary (formerly homeless because we housed them...very rewarding job at times). Lots of other stuff too...guest speaker at high schools for years, mentoring, olympic weightlifting (for fun)...

Applied a couple of times to UBC...first interview. Also IP for AB so hopefully my odds increase this year. In the past I apply to usually one school but this year I applied to 3. Also missed by 1 point or so a couple of times at uofc. Hoping this is my year.

It seems like this:

Monday - all regrets

Tuesday - quite

Wednesday - invites for early submission

Thursday - all other invites

Friday - nothing

Is it correct?

Yeah I think that is correct. Except for the quite on Tuesday...:P weird how much it changed from last year hey? Ps I'm not regretting not submitting my app by the early deadline :) anyone else?

I doubt that. I got my email at 10:30 am on Thursday. (I'm OOP)

And I checked it ASAP and it was there as I mentioned.

Are you an Aboriginal applicant? If so, I believe they book your interview for you because the Aboriginal-specific interview is on one particular weekend, so they want to make sure your regular interview is on the same weekend.

Archived