Premed 101 Forums

Which medical schools do full body dissection?

NOSM does prossections only. I dont feel like I am missing out and am a bit relieved that I dont have to. Ive always hated the smell of formaldehyde.

That's one of the reasons Guelph gives its undergraduates in human kinetics and biomedical science the option of either taking the two anatomy dissection courses, where they do the dissections themselves (in groups), or the two anatomy prosection courses, where they learn the same anatomy, but all the prosections have been done by the TAs ahead of time. I know quite a few people who aren't at all squeamish, but who can't stand the smell of formaldehyde.

We had 2 cadavers for each group of 8 - one male and one female. We spent ~100 hrs in the anatomy lab in first semester.

Toronto is pretty intense about that up front. I have to admit I actually really like that approach - although I do understand the recent decline at most schools of importance put on anatomy.

What's your take on it rob? Money?

That is a small part of it but there is definitely a broader movement I think that feel anatomy was over emphasized. The vast majority of doctors don't really need to know anatomy down to the fine detail it used to be taught old school and it was consuming massive amounts of time they want to spend on other things they fell is important. Only so many hours in the day - and really I can see their point even though I do really enjoy anatomy I barely used it beyond basic MSK through most of clerkship (obviously radiology and surgery are some exceptions). They argue why spend so much time on it at the expense of other more important material.

As already mentioned, we have prosections and full cadavers available to us 24/7 in Calgary. But we do not do any dissecting. If students are keen on doing a dissection, they can on their own time (i believe).

Our anatomy teachers are great though. The bell ringers are fair, but intense enough that you need to know your stuff. I probably know less anatomy compared to a grad from UofA/UBC/Toronto etc, but I'm sure I know enough to get by.

Archived