Premed 101 Forums

Medical School Preparation- Class of 2017

Hockey gear? Should I bring mine? I figure I might get the itch.

Yes. When I was there we played a game every Friday afternoon, plus inter-murals.

It's very easy to get a game of hockey in St. John's. There are loads of informal rec games around if you want more hockey.

Where I am for residency is very hard to get a random pick up game. Everything must be very formal, with a league, refs, strict structure, dozens of pages of rules which must be exactly followed before, during and after play. It's a pain in the ass.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would say with kids you are looking at 14 hours to drive across the island.

Take the Argentia boat.

+1. I've driven across the island. Took the ferry across to Port-aux-Basques, spent a week in Gros Morne, then drove across the island and spent a week in St. John's. I can't imagine doing that drive across the island with children in tow!

Yeaaaahhhh. I'm a dice throwing D&D nerd through and through <_<. If anybody's down for that kind of setup lol. It seems I may have to learn how to play Hockey at this rate though......right after I learn to skate >_> <_<.

Also, yeah a what, 9 hour drive? from port aux basques? With kids? F that noise. Definitely going to be catching the ferry to Argentia.

Yeaaaahhhh. I'm a dice throwing D&D nerd through and through <_<. If anybody's down for that kind of setup lol. It seems I may have to learn how to play Hockey at this rate though......right after I learn to skate >_> <_<.

Teach me to play D&D. I'll teach you to skate.

Ah, I miss D&D. My husband and I used to get together with three other couples once a week and we'd play. It was mostly an excuse to just hang out, and we didn't take it too seriously, but it was a lot of fun. A couple of the guys would take turns as DM for a campaign or two.

Yes, I'm a total geek. ;)

Friends of mine usually DM. I'm the token munchkin that gets told "no" on numerous occasions lol =(.

I <3 Druid allllll the way though. Haha.

Ah, I miss D&D. My husband and I used to get together with three other couples once a week and we'd play. It was mostly an excuse to just hang out, and we didn't take it too seriously, but it was a lot of fun. A couple of the guys would take turns as DM for a campaign or two.

Yes, I'm a total geek. ;)

Also, yeah a what, 9 hour drive? from port aux basques? With kids? F that noise. Definitely going to be catching the ferry to Argentia.

It's more like 12 from Port Aux Basques to St. John's.

9 is closer to Corner Brook to St. John's.

NLengr... I've got a couple questions about living arrangements. Should I start looking for incoming Med1's to live with? What does rent typically cost downtown? Do you have any real estate contacts from St. John's that rented to you during your time there? Sorry for the trouble but I want to find a good spot and rumor has it they fill up quick.

NLengr... I've got a couple questions about living arrangements. Should I start looking for incoming Med1's to live with? What does rent typically cost downtown? Do you have any real estate contacts from St. John's that rented to you during your time there? Sorry for the trouble but I want to find a good spot and rumor has it they fill up quick.

I've heard the same. Was wondering if contacting 4th years who will be leaving for residencies elsewhere might be a good idea. Try to take over their leases.

I've heard the same. Was wondering if contacting 4th years who will be leaving for residencies elsewhere might be a good idea. Try to take over their leases.

I'm wondering about living arrangements, too. Great idea to get in touch with the 4th years!!!

I'm from St. John's so I never rented.

I know rental availability is low right now but that's about it.

Is anybody planning on going over to look at spots before they commit? I know it's a bit of a trip, but it would ease my mind to see a place before I sign a lease.

I'll absolutely be flying in for a week or so in June or July to look at apartments and/or houses before I commit to anything. It's expensive but it'll definitely be worth it. You can run into some really run-down spots in St. John's (or anywhere for that matter) or you can hit on some great spots, so I'd say it's best to just check it out for yourself. The rental market is weird there in that there aren't a lot of vacancies, so the landlords can be pretty demanding in what they want or restrictive in what they offer. I'm just not sure if I should try and go within walking distance of the med school or look farther out (like downtown or the waterford bridge area, not mount pearl or the east end) and lease a car.

Is anybody planning on going over to look at spots before they commit? I know it's a bit of a trip, but it would ease my mind to see a place before I sign a lease.

I think I will probably go over to look after exams end. If I found a place that someone I knew over there could vouch for I might not. Not sure when the best time to go over would be though.

I'll absolutely be flying in for a week or so in June or July to look at apartments and/or houses before I commit to anything. It's expensive but it'll definitely be worth it. You can run into some really run-down spots in St. John's (or anywhere for that matter) or you can hit on some great spots, so I'd say it's best to just check it out for yourself. The rental market is weird there in that there aren't a lot of vacancies, so the landlords can be pretty demanding in what they want or restrictive in what they offer. I'm just not sure if I should try and go within walking distance of the med school or look farther out (like downtown or the waterford bridge area, not mount pearl or the east end) and lease a car.

Why not mount pearl or the east end? Just too far?

Why not mount pearl or the east end? Just too far?

Yeah, I'd say you'd get cheaper rents there for better quality (i.e. newer) apartments/houses, but I personally don't find the areas overly appealing as there's a lot of traffic and big box stores. The downtown environment is just completely different. No where is too far in St. John's or Mount Pearl as you'd only be looking at like a 20-25 minute commute by car.

Yeah, I'd say you'd get cheaper rents there for better quality (i.e. newer) apartments/houses, but I personally don't find the areas overly appealing as there's a lot of traffic and big box stores. The downtown environment is just completely different. No where is too far in St. John's or Mount Pearl as you'd only be looking at like a 20-25 minute commute by car.

East end is the best place to live in the city. Nicest neighborhoods, close to downtown, close to shopping. Only minutes from school. Try around Carpation Road. It's close to school and in a very nice neighborhood. I know a few people who live out that way.

Mount Pearl is terrible. Far away from everything by St. John's standards. Nobody really lives out there unless their parents are there so everytime you go out it'll be a huge drive/expensive cab. Getting to and from the university in the morning takes a while. Getting out of the Pearl takes forever since there are only 3 roads on which you can leave essentially.

Downtown is nice when you are young. If you have a family, not so much.

In summary:

Family: East End

Single: Downtown, East End, Center City

You will need a car for medical school. You may be able to struggle through without one for the first two years, but clerkship is a different story. St. John's is not a great city to be without one, especially in the winter.

Killam properties has buildings in St. John's and one brand new one with amazing amenities. It is expensive but if a couple med 1's were sharing, might be worth it....it is also brand new no one has lived in it yet ready for spring 2013. It has good sized rooms, washer dryer, dishwasher, granite, movie theater and gym...wow..I was thinking about having my kids share a room as it is around the price a house would be with less to worry about and cheaper power bill.

http://www.killamproperties.com/apartments/Bennett-House-Opening-Spring-2013-2265/

There are cheaper buildings as well people could share listed on their site. I would ask them about their summer availability. The other buildings have coin op laundry and no dishwashers. Those things are more appealing to me with kids but certainly not necessary.

Also, I have seen that registration starts June 1 and payment is due when you register? but then I saw that undergrad had until September 5 to pay. I was pretty sure they meant after registration you pay but you have until September (for undergraduate MD) much like UG..am I right? Also if we send our confirmation transcript in right away can we register ASAP (when it opens). I am also assuming us being registered and showing this to banks allows us to get our LOC, I need mine ASAP as I do not have much left for my family to survive on.. I will also need it for our security deposit in St. Johns and securing our move. Yet another question for anyone who has done this before..or for that matter knows more than me... what goes on with scholarships etc? It did not look there was a lot for non- NLers but is the list on the MUN site for incoming students all that might be available? when do they become available/announced?

Not sure what the new Killam apartments will be like, but I have a buddy who used to live in one of the apartment complexes and he doesn't recommend it. He said it was way overpriced for the amount of space you get. He also used to take his dirty clothes home on the weekends because the laundry facilities were so small and outdated. I'd recommend checking out the house and apartment rentals on stjohns.kijiji.ca, that's where I've found all the places I've rented.

Not sure what the new Killam apartments will be like, but I have a buddy who used to live in one of the apartment complexes and he doesn't recommend it. He said it was way overpriced for the amount of space you get. He also used to take his dirty clothes home on the weekends because the laundry facilities were so small and outdated. I'd recommend checking out the house and apartment rentals on stjohns.kijiji.ca, that's where I've found all the places I've rented.

Maybe it depends on the building.. we have Killam here as well but I have not heard anything bad, this new building would be the only option I would consider from them though as a family of four we will be needing in suite laundry and dishwasher which most apartments don't offer..and brand new appliances, the amenities really top it off. I shall have to look though because it is only 2 bedroom and I have 2 small girls who could share a room but there wont be much of a play area anywhere... I have been stalking kijiji! hoping for a newer house..probably east end..? bonus to apartment being new is that no one else has lived there, no mold, no bugs. I have seen the way some people keep their places, awful. It is small but cost efficient to heat I suppose. I hope I can find something early .. unlikely where I cannot move until end of July..maybe end of June depending on LOC.

Archived