Premed 101 Forums

Medical School Preparation- Class of 2017

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure yet. I'll likely choose whichever one cuts down total travel time the most.

I think they come out somewhere around the same also depending on if you get a hotel from port aux basques to St. John's. The Argentia ferry is overnight and gets you within 1.5 hours of St. John's but it is long and more expensive. The ferries look really nice though....

I'll be coming from PEI, and talking to my dad (who will likely be manning the Uhaul), he suggested long ferry, short drive. His rationale is that it saves you on fuel (though the ferry is more expensive), and that driving straight is more tiring than hanging around a ferry.

I'll be coming from PEI, and talking to my dad (who will likely be manning the Uhaul), he suggested long ferry, short drive. His rationale is that it saves you on fuel (though the ferry is more expensive), and that driving straight is more tiring than hanging around a ferry.

Sound reasoning. I may have to conscript my old man to drive the Uhaul too. Guess I can buy him a bottle of screech when we get there.

I think we will probably take the longer ferry too. So much easier to just sit on a ferry and read a book!

I was thinking July 1 or August 1. I want to spend some time with my family once we get settled which will take about a week with all our stuff, So I do not want to be there any later than August 1 and we need to give a month's notice here. It really depends on what is available and when I can get my prof. LOC. Does anyone have any idea on the earliest we can register or get our LOC? I would love to take a trip up in June and find something but it will depend on the money haha. I just got a bursary but it will only last until graduation or so...

Ill be coming up in August as well (eventually). I'm thinking I will probably also work for a good part of the summer, then put in my notice so that I can move in mid/late August - meaning August 1 lease.

Orientation last year was August 20 – 24, cannot wait for more 2013 info.

Does anyone have any idea on the earliest we can register or get our LOC? I would love to take a trip up in June and find something but it will depend on the money haha. I just got a bursary but it will only last until graduation or so...

As soon as you have an acceptance letter you can apply for your LOC. I know a few people that got them within days of acceptance year - they just set up a meeting and went in with their acceptance package.

As soon as you have an acceptance letter you can apply for your LOC. I know a few people that got them within days of acceptance year - they just set up a meeting and went in with their acceptance package.

really!???? I am shocked by this, my bank said they needed to see my registration for classes, class schedule, something like that. As although I am sure 100% of us will be attending, it is still a conditional offer based upon our graduation, etc.? No? Maybe I will go talk to someone more about it as if I could have my money by May, early June, I could go up and find something and maybe move earlier, July 1? I know my wife would like to stay with family here for as long as possible but she would also like to be set up early in a new place too. Do you know anything more on this, anyone else?

really!???? I am shocked by this, my bank said they needed to see my registration for classes, class schedule, something like that. As although I am sure 100% of us will be attending, it is still a conditional offer based upon our graduation, etc.? No? Maybe I will go talk to someone more about it as if I could have my money by May, early June, I could go up and find something and maybe move earlier, July 1? I know my wife would like to stay with family here for as long as possible but she would also like to be set up early in a new place too. Do you know anything more on this, anyone else?

Ahhh, well I should also point out that the people I knew had already graduated and were in the working world! So no conditional admission. So, it would make sense if you only qualified for LOC once all conditions were met. Still, graduation is soon enough.

I'm hoping to go up in June to get everything organized if this is where I end up definitely (still some interviews to go and potential big decisions to make).

Nope! It was Dal actually. :)

Thanks for the info! Yeah for most of us in 4th year it wouldn't make sense for a bank to OK 250000 if you haven't graduated yet. You could ditch school I suppose. :confused: Hopefully everything will be good to go once I send in my transcript but I think I may have to wait for June 1 (registration open) Does anyone know how soon we can register, do we have to wait until they send us login info. after we have been verified with our transcript?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

Just some bits of information that a few of you may be interested in...

1) My timeline: Conditionally accepted last May, brought in the acceptance form the following day, had an updated transcript sent to admissions, then received a confirmation of acceptance. The confirmation of acceptance was sufficient for RBC to offer me a LOC.

2) You do have to register for courses, probably by a particular date. However, it seems like more of a formality to me, as your program of study will already be listed as Medicine, your tuition will already be listed in your MUN Self-Service account, and there is obviously no way that you wouldn't get the classes that you need. I believe that I forgot to register until mid or late July...

3) Tuition is due by the first day of the fall term. Traditionally, medicine has started before the standard fall term, but your tuition is still due on the date that is listed as the semester start date in the MUN Diary.

4) If you're coming from away, you may want to look into shipping stuff down rather than renting a u-haul. There are people who own big trucks and drive them back and forth across the country. This can be fairly cheap; however coordinating the dates might be tricky in your situations.

See you in August!

Hey,

4) If you're coming from away, you may want to look into shipping stuff down rather than renting a u-haul. There are people who own big trucks and drive them back and forth across the country. This can be fairly cheap; however coordinating the dates might be tricky in your situations.

Where would I find information on this?

Thanks The Best Medicine, this is helpful!

How soon after sending transcript should I expect a confirmation of acceptance? Should I request this ASAP in my situation?

Something else I would like to add is that looking into using a 26' UHaul and my wife driving our vehicle (ferry costs/ferry cabin, gas prices, UHaul rental) 2000$-3000$

I also received a quote to move my home using professional movers (small 3 bedroom apartment but lots of stuff as 2 kids, 2 adults)

5000$ tax in (probably higher) This will be less hassle but also they cannot guarantee a delivery day but rather a timeframe of at least a few days, could mean costly hotel nights.

Thank you also for the movers links, I will look into those.

Also any short term accommodation info. if any one has any in NL, something cheaper than a hotel but comfy and clean. I will try searching but figured residents might know from experience which are good or bad. I could do this with family for a couple days at least until movers could meet us, this would also give my wife the opportunity to clean our new place while staying somewhere else.

Thanks The Best Medicine, this is helpful!

How soon after sending transcript should I expect a confirmation of acceptance? Should I request this ASAP in my situation?

Also any short term accommodation info. if any one has any in NL, something cheaper than a hotel but comfy and clean. I will try searching but figured residents might know from experience which are good or bad. I could do this with family for a couple days at least until movers could meet us, this would also give my wife the opportunity to clean our new place while staying somewhere else.

I don't think that admissions can process your confirmation any faster... I would imagine that they receive a transcript, check it, and send the confirmation all in the same day. The biggest lag in my case would have been 2-3 days for the transcript to be sent to admissions, and then the 2-3 days for the confirmation to get to my mailbox.

You should ask your bank specifically what they will require, as it may vary by bank. Also, make sure you talk to someone who is familiar with professional lines of credit! You might even be able to call Donna Porter or Winnie Hanely at RBC or Anne Feehan at Scotiabank, as they are familiar with MUN MED... Maybe they could set you up such that you just bring the proper documentation into your local branch...

I have no idea about short term housing... I think that Hillview Terrace does weekly rates... no idea about quality or value!

Well, it looks like I might try to secure a place for June even though we wont be there until July to ensure we have a nice place. The main areas I am looking at are Kenmount and Airport heights area, hoping these are good family areas. My only concern is not being able to see a place myself as my wife is very particular about what condition (maintenance, cleanliness) things are in. My father in law is possibly heading over in a few weeks for job prospects but I do not have many contacts in St. John's.

with the kenmount terrace area you are pretty much guaranteed a house built within the last couple of years. new houses are constantly going up there. so they will be nice and new looking!! airport heights has some older subdivisions, but also new areas too.

Some of the houses in Kenmount Terrance are of crap quality though. I remember being in one house with music on moderately loud, but not blasting, and the neighbours hearing it clear as a bell next door, despite both houses having windows closed. These were not attached houses.

Of course, if you aren't buying this isn't as much of a concern.

Archived