Premed 101 Forums

Medical School Preparation- Class of 2017

Hmm, sounds like my free housing in Mount Pearl, if I end up going to MUN, wouldn't be the greatest idea.

Hard to pass up having free room and board (I'd be living with family). Fortunately I do have a car, and would be bringing it with me.

Also have family living out in Paradise, but that's even further out from the city.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmm, sounds like my free housing in Mount Pearl, if I end up going to MUN, wouldn't be the greatest idea.

Hard to pass up having free room and board (I'd be living with family). Fortunately I do have a car, and would be bringing it with me.

Also have family living out in Paradise, but that's even further out from the city.

Free housing is a completely different story.

Think of the commute and cab ride as the cost of rent. It's better than paying $500-1000 a month for rent.

Paradise can be odd. If you are close to the outer ring road you can get into MUN pretty quick. You just pop onto the ring road and get off at the Allandale Road exit. Faster than out in da pearl. If you are deep in Paradise though, it would be a longer drive.

Does anyone know if there is a specific bank that deals with munmed? I read in one of the threads down in med school 101 that sometimes certain banks are associated with certain medical schools and that it can be advantageous to go with that bank for your LOC. Any input on this is much appreciated!

Scotia and RBC are the most involved but there isn't an official bank. Both of those 2 have specific people for med students.

Scotia is Anne Feehan at the Churchill Square Branch

For RBC I think it's someone on Elizabeth ave, but you'd have to call the branch to double check.

BMO is also more involved lately but I don't know much about their st. John's operations.

Does anyone know if there is a specific bank that deals with munmed? I read in one of the threads down in med school 101 that sometimes certain banks are associated with certain medical schools and that it can be advantageous to go with that bank for your LOC. Any input on this is much appreciated!

This is a ridiculous question (I have not clue about these things), but do you know how much you get with a LOC? Does interest start accumulating on it right away or is it frozen until you graduate? What are interest rates like? I'll wait until the IP letters come out to investigate this by going into a bank, but I'm interested now if you have any insight. Thanks!

I am going through this process now so I can probably help. MOst banks offer from 200-250k. Interest starts accumulating on it right away (make sure you get the bank's prime lending rate ~3%). You make interest only payments until 1 year after your completion of training (residency/fellowship). As much as people make out all banks to be different in terms of service, I chose to remain with my home institution. I have built up a relationship with my account manager and did not want to leave. I also requested that I only be given x amount of dollars per year until I ask for more (saving me from myself), some people do not like this approach... I think its smart. Hope this helps

I am going through this process now so I can probably help. MOst banks offer from 200-250k. Interest starts accumulating on it right away (make sure you get the bank's prime lending rate ~3%). You make interest only payments until 1 year after your completion of training (residency/fellowship). As much as people make out all banks to be different in terms of service, I chose to remain with my home institution. I have built up a relationship with my account manager and did not want to leave. I also requested that I only be given x amount of dollars per year until I ask for more (saving me from myself), some people do not like this approach... I think its smart. Hope this helps

Yeah that definitely sounds super smart. MUN's tuition is so low that I'll probably try to pay for the first year or two on savings to avoid going into debt for as long as possible, but I'll still look into the LOC stuff once my time comes. If I end up trying to pay for it on my own I'll have to have a super low-key year and work the summer after first year. MUN has some sweet summer positions available though (based on what they said at the interview), so that might not be that bad!

Free housing is a completely different story.

Think of the commute and cab ride as the cost of rent. It's better than paying $500-1000 a month for rent.

Paradise can be odd. If you are close to the outer ring road you can get into MUN pretty quick. You just pop onto the ring road and get off at the Allandale Road exit. Faster than out in da pearl. If you are deep in Paradise though, it would be a longer drive.

Cool, thanks NLengr. I probably should have been paying more attention all the times I was visiting St. John's and the surrounding area, but as I was being "chauffeured" around, I wasn't really focused on the drive and how long it took to get to various places.

Out of curiosity, what price range should I be expecting for housing? I would like to be downtown, and in something decent. Also, if there is any other incoming student who's looking for something down town, feel free to PM me.

I'm wondering about price range as well. Are you looking to rent or buy? I'm also wondering if students generally prefer something within walking distance to school or something downtown?

I would consider buying but I own a house in NB at the moment. If I was able to sell it, real estate in St. John's would be a nice investment. On the other hand, I know the headaches that come with being a landlord when you're living in the house. It might be nice to not have to worry about that stuff during medical school.

I would consider buying but I own a house in NB at the moment. If I was able to sell it, real estate in St. John's would be a nice investment. On the other hand, I know the headaches that come with being a landlord when you're living in the house. It might be nice to not have to worry about that stuff during medical school.

St. John's is in a bit of a real estate bubble right now. Prices are far far above where they traditionally have been. Probably not the best time to buy, especially with all the major banks and investment firms predicting a plateau in housing prices and a slowing economy.

St. John's is in a bit of a real estate bubble right now. Prices are far far above where they traditionally have been. Probably not the best time to buy, especially with all the major banks and investment firms predicting a plateau in housing prices and a slowing economy.

Good points! Thanks for the heads up. It would have been difficult for me to make happen this year, but I won't even consider it anymore.

Soo... what are the best sites for finding housing? I have been on kijiji every day but most of what is on there is houses (which is my preference) but I would like to see what is available through the property management companies, low rise buildings and what not. Also does anyone know what the elementary schools are like? are they the same or should I look for housing near one over another? My oldest will start K in third year and my youngest will be starting K in my fourth year. My wife is meeting with movers today, hopefully they can give us a quote ASAP.

Soo... what are the best sites for finding housing? I have been on kijiji every day but most of what is on there is houses (which is my preference) but I would like to see what is available through the property management companies, low rise buildings and what not. Also does anyone know what the elementary schools are like? are they the same or should I look for housing near one over another? My oldest will start K in third year and my youngest will be starting K in my fourth year. My wife is meeting with movers today, hopefully they can give us a quote ASAP.

mls.ca is a great site for housing.

As for the schools, there are no particular elementary schools that stand out in the city as being more positive or negative than the others. The only school to avoid is Brother Rice Jr High (which is a few years away for your family).

I know they are building a brand new elementary school on Mundy Pond Rd (Saint Thersea's) but I am not sure when it will be open. Also, I have a few friends who teach at McDonald Drive Elementary, which is pretty centrally located. I have also heard good things about Saint Matthews Elementary on Cowan Avenue.

Are you looking to put them in French Immersion or a school that is known for nurturing certain skills (I.e., music, sports)?

Here is the district website:

http://www.esdnl.ca/schools/schooldirectory/

Good luck :)

mls.ca is a great site for housing.

As for the schools, there are no particular elementary schools that stand out in the city as being more positive or negative than the others. The only school to avoid is Brother Rice Jr High (which is a few years away for your family).

I know they are building a brand new elementary school on Mundy Pond Rd (Saint Thersea's) but I am not sure when it will be open. Also, I have a few friends who teach at McDonald Drive Elementary, which is pretty centrally located. I have also heard good things about Saint Matthews Elementary on Cowan Avenue.

Are you looking to put them in French Immersion or a school that is known for nurturing certain skills (I.e., music, sports)?

Here is the district website:

http://www.esdnl.ca/schools/schooldirectory/

Good luck :)

Thank You very much for the great info! Does mls do rentals as well?, I should have specified, there is no way I could afford to buy anywhere, which sucks as I will paying a fortune in rent and it would be best to pay something down even a little...I also see that prices seem especially high there right now and I would not want to lose my shirt in 4 years. I am getting anxious to get our housing solved, unfortunately most things for July or August will not be available until right before, hoping for something newer, laundry and dishwasher, 3 bedrooms, preferably with a yard. I have no idea when I will be able to get my LOC and have zero money til then for a deposit. Possible family loan for deposit if I find something exceptional.

Thank You very much for the great info! Does mls do rentals as well?, I should have specified, there is no way I could afford to buy anywhere, which sucks as I will paying a fortune in rent and it would be best to pay something down even a little...I also see that prices seem especially high there right now and I would not want to lose my shirt in 4 years. I am getting anxious to get our housing solved, unfortunately most things for July or August will not be available until right before, hoping for something newer, laundry and dishwasher, 3 bedrooms, preferably with a yard. I have no idea when I will be able to get my LOC and have zero money til then for a deposit. Possible family loan for deposit if I find something exceptional.

MLS may have some rentals...not too sure. Have you considered an apartment building? I found this link on the MUN website...it's actually for international students but has some great info regarding housing:

http://www.mun.ca/isa/housing/apartments_list.php

Hi everyone, this is semi-related to housing... But is everyone planning on bringing their cars with them? Do most apartments come standard with parking? What about street parking in the winter? Maybe I'm thinking ahead but I'm just excitedddd!

Whether parking comes standard really depends on where you want to live. Most places should be fine for parking. However, downtown can be a hassle. Most spots are on the street (you'll get a permit you have to display). There is a limit to guest passes. During winter there is an overnight parking ban so wherever you look you should consider this.

I'd recommend bringing your car if you can. St. John's is pretty sprawling and the bus system sucks. Also, it might make it easier down the road when you need to travel outside of St. John's.

Hi everyone, this is semi-related to housing... But is everyone planning on bringing their cars with them? Do most apartments come standard with parking? What about street parking in the winter? Maybe I'm thinking ahead but I'm just excitedddd!

I will be bringing my vehicle 100%. St. John's isn't really a walkers town. It's going to bo quite the drive from NB but its worth it.

You should be excited! Congratulations Classmate! :D

Archived